Is it just me or does the phone seem to carry better battery life with the WiFi on? At home, although I have 3G coverage, I keep my WiFi on and use my bbm/browser CONSTANTLY and I feel I get a longer battery that way. Any reason for this?
    06-29-10 07:39 AM
    The radio is in a break lol....

No seriously. Since most of the data does not have to get pushed thru the radio CDMA and work harder. The Wifi connection handles it more efficiently.

On standby, with or with out Wifi on I get the same....
    06-29-10 07:41 AM
    The radio is in a break lol....

No seriously. Since most of the data does not have to get pushed thru the radio CDMA and work harder. The Wifi connection handles it more efficiently.

On standby, with or with out Wifi on I get the same....
    ahah..and it works out to my benefit because I work where the signal kinda sucks but theres wifi so I usually just leave it on and I get through my work day with better battery life.
    06-29-10 07:51 AM
    I keep my wifi on all the time. I can easy get a whole day out of the battery with heavy use and can get 2 days of it with light use. I use the web on my breaks and text on and off all day. I took it off the charger yesterday morning and today am at 55% now.
    06-29-10 07:53 AM
    I keep my wifi on all the time. I can easy get a whole day out of the battery with heavy use and can get 2 days of it with light use. I use the web on my breaks and text on and off all day. I took it off the charger yesterday morning and today am at 55% now.
    Then people wonder why we love wifi on CDMA devices

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-10 08:34 AM
    hmmmm...interesting to know. i should keep my wifi on!! i love this website...i always find useful information
    06-29-10 08:47 AM
    I find Wi-Fi improves battery life on my Bold.

Counter-intuitive, maybe, but true...
    06-29-10 09:03 AM
    I would have never believed it, but I also find no difference in my battery life with Wi-Fi turned on all day than without. I can easily go an entire day or maybe a little more with heavy use and easily get 2 days or possibly slightly more with light use, similar to what others have stated.
    06-29-10 09:10 AM
    I keep mine on all the time too, seem as though my battery life is excellent with full time usage.
    06-29-10 09:19 AM
    Same here...I keep my wifi on all the time, and the battery life on the Bold is excellent!
    06-29-10 10:37 AM
    The nice thing is keeping it on all the time.....

Pull into my driveway - bam connected.

Pull into work - bam connected.

Pull in station house - bam connected

Arrive at family functions - bam connected

Wifi where ever I go.... so have it auto connect is nice
    06-29-10 10:55 AM
    Wow, well Ill have to try this then I was leaving my wifi off the save battery life.
    06-29-10 11:04 AM
    The nice thing is keeping it on all the time.....

Pull into my driveway - bam connected.

Pull into work - bam connected.

Pull in station house - bam connected

Arrive at family functions - bam connected

Wifi where ever I go.... so have it auto connect is nice
    +1, I never turn wifi off
    06-29-10 12:11 PM
    Wifi made a huge difference on my battery life. I work in a metal bld with terrible cell service. BBM would take forever and eat up tons of life on my Tour. With wifi it is instant and doesnt drain the battery!
    06-29-10 12:20 PM
    I'm a little late to the game, but I was under the impression that WiFi causes more of a battery drain if it's searching for a signal? Is this not really the case? I use QuickLaunch to toggle Wi-Fi on and off when I know I'll be getting a connection, but it'd be nice to not have to bother.
    07-05-10 02:07 AM
    Monitored my device's battery drain very closely today:
    Went to a picnic and was away from home for 7 hours. Left Wi-fi on but not connected to my friend's network. Had 2 calls totaling 13 minutes. Sent/received 8 text messages. Received/read 4 e-mails. Upon return home, I only lost 12% battery.

Not sure how that searching thing works, but I always leave my Wi-fi on and if I'm not in an area where one of my saved networks are, it doesn't seem to have any bearing on the battery. When I enter an area where I have a saved network, it connects immediately. The only explanation I can think of is that the phone is not actively searching for a Wi-fi network, but it is receptive and welcomes a signal from a saved network that may, for lack of a better term, ping the device. Don't know! I'm puzzled, but happy! Guess the adage, "Ignorance is bliss" has a little validity here.
    07-05-10 04:07 AM
    Wow, well Ill have to try this then I was leaving my wifi off the save battery life.
    Or use an app like WiFi Hero WiFiHero - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store to turn WiFi on and off. In theory this should allow the best of both worlds.
    07-05-10 07:27 AM
    I have WiFi on all the time. I'm connected wherever I go and battery life is fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-10 07:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD