Ok so I'm experiencing some battery drain issues on my torch 9810.

First off, I always attempt to do what I can to save power: different sound profiles, wifi on only when I need it, bluetooth off, brightness at lowest setting, closing all apps ( only home, phone, browser,bbm and messages are left open as they are system apps). I'm not new to this but I can't seem to be sure of my battery draining.

When I first got this phone, it was great, the battery life was amazing, I would take it off the charger in the morning one day and even forget to charge again and it would last till midday the next day.

But as of late the battery's efficiency has been terrible: it falls by about 10% per hour. That's less than 12 hours!!!! (In perfect 5 bar reception downtown)

I am not sure what is causing. There are many possible culprits.

A month ago my microSD card was giving me problems and was eating up my CPU and the phone would die quite rapidly ( the media application was actively trying to read the card, it showed in application management). I fixed this by reformation the microSD card and then it was fine.

A little while ago I installed the leaked 7.1 OS on my phone but after a few days I wanted to go back as quite a few features were not working properly so I tried many ways to restore to 7.0 and eventually found a way to. So now I am on 7.0 and the battery life is horrible (while it wasn't before).

Also I had the habit of using the PlayBook rapid charger as the amperes are higher and I had read here on Crackberry that it was safe for my phone to do so.

So now I have a few possible problems:
    -A faulty battery (maybe I ruined it???)
    -Maybe my microSD card is at it again ( but it doesn't show up on application manager as the media app using it)
    Or
    -A corrupted system that after restoring and backing up so many times has now become messed.

So what I will do is reformat my microSD card for starters.
    But I would like to "wipe" my device, not a security wipe but an actual reset where I can reinstall the blackberry OS so I get no bugs.

And finally I have been looking at battery optimizing apps in appworld but they don't do much accept turn on and off different radio systems (which I already have off but the cell network) so they aren't working for me, are there any real good ones that don't steal memory and actually kill the battery faster? An app to test if my battery is damaged/faulty or how to know?

Thanks for any and all help.
    02-07-12 06:51 AM
    Any hits? Any help would be appreciated
    02-07-12 03:48 PM
    I'd only be able to give you the usual stuff: try a different OS or do a complete wipe of your phone to the 507 error or what ever its called and fresh instal. If no better, new battery.

I read a lot on here saying you can't ruin batteries these days from fast or over charging?
    02-07-12 03:56 PM
    I guess what I'm asking is first how to get to the 507 error
    And
    What are the good battery monitoring/optimizing apps available.
    02-07-12 04:03 PM
    hehe, i manage to run my battery down to the point it wont start, all under 4 hours. was only listening to music and light BBM/email. i am using 9860. similar usage yesterday and got 10 hours

edit: also i ordered a backup battery, forgot to mention, its a new 9860, 3 days old
    Last edited by Silverfern; 02-07-12 at 04:31 PM.
    02-07-12 04:19 PM
    -Maybe my microSD card is at it again ( but it doesn't show up on application manager as the media app using it)
    Or
    -A corrupted system that after restoring and backing up so many times has now become messed.

But I would like to "wipe" my device, not a security wipe but an actual reset where I can reinstall the blackberry OS so I get no bugs.
    Questions:

What OS are you installing?
    Is that the same one you used before that worked well?

Thoughts:

Take SD card out for a few days, see if problem persists.
    Could be a battery issue, try replacing it.
    Could be remnants from apps that didn’t get completely deleted or corrupted install.

Answer (to your question):

Wiping the OS will achieve the 507 error.
    You can wipe, but it's an extra, unnecessary, step. It will be wiped in the process below.

Back up everything.
    Download preferred OS, uninstall newer OS, if downgrading.
    Delete vendor.xml file(s)
    use DM or loader.exe to load.
    Restore settings.

Now you will have a clean install.
    Last edited by cntrydncr223; 02-07-12 at 07:51 PM.
    02-07-12 07:48 PM
    Questions:

Thoughts:

Could be remnants from apps that didn�t get completely deleted or corrupted install.

You can wipe, but it's an extra, unnecessary, step. It will be wiped in the process below.

Back up everything.
    Restore settings.

The OS version is 7.0.0.254

And what is a vendor.xml file? And how do I delete it, from the device? Through the desktop manager?
    02-07-12 09:50 PM
    Questions:

Thoughts:

Could be remnants from apps that didn�t get completely deleted or corrupted install.

Back up everything.
    Restore settings.

And what is a vendor.xml file? And how do I delete it, from the device? Through the desktop manager?
    02-07-12 09:58 PM

Using windows explorer, Navigate to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and Delete the vendor.xml file there.
    02-07-12 11:50 PM
    Ok so I'm experiencing some battery drain issues on my torch 9810.

First off, I always attempt to do what I can to save power: different sound profiles, wifi on only when I need it, bluetooth off, brightness at lowest setting, closing all apps ( only home, phone, browser,bbm and messages are left open as they are system apps). I'm not new to this but I can't seem to be sure of my battery draining.

When I first got this phone, it was great, the battery life was amazing, I would take it off the charger in the morning one day and even forget to charge again and it would last till midday the next day.

But as of late the battery's efficiency has been terrible: it falls by about 10% per hour. That's less than 12 hours!!!! (In perfect 5 bar reception downtown)

I am not sure what is causing. There are many possible culprits.

A month ago my microSD card was giving me problems and was eating up my CPU and the phone would die quite rapidly ( the media application was actively trying to read the card, it showed in application management). I fixed this by reformation the microSD card and then it was fine.

A little while ago I installed the leaked 7.1 OS on my phone but after a few days I wanted to go back as quite a few features were not working properly so I tried many ways to restore to 7.0 and eventually found a way to. So now I am on 7.0 and the battery life is horrible (while it wasn't before).

Also I had the habit of using the PlayBook rapid charger as the amperes are higher and I had read here on Crackberry that it was safe for my phone to do so.

Or

And finally I have been looking at battery optimizing apps in appworld but they don't do much accept turn on and off different radio systems (which I already have off but the cell network) so they aren't working for me, are there any real good ones that don't steal memory and actually kill the battery faster? An app to test if my battery is damaged/faulty or how to know?

Thanks for any and all help.
    I have the 9810. Battery life is abysmal. Your experience has been my experience. It only gets worst as time goes on. It seems the batteries are stressed by the current load of the processor and screen and wear out fast.

I have bought a new battery already. Instead of losing 10% an hour, I only lose 8%. It is pretty bad.

I have a charger at home, one in the car and one at the office as well as one in my brief case along with a spare battery.
    02-08-12 02:51 AM
    Same problem, had to get a new battery
    02-08-12 03:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD