Hello,

So I went to see my dad the other day and he got a new phone. They gave him a pearl flip.
    He only uses it for a phone so am not sure how they sold him on that...anyways.

He is coming from a 2 year old Motorola. He uses his phone very minimally but he is in an area that has bad service. His old phone he used to charge about every 3rd or 4th day. His new phone is dead by 6 in the evening.

Why such a huge differents? Both phones were on the same network and have normally only 1 bar...

Also this is the same for my aunty same time he went and got his phone she upgraded to a curve. they live at the same place and I wanted to see her phone and i pulled it out and it wouldn't even turn on it was so dead. she didn't charge it the night before.

Thanks for any info
    10-05-09 04:10 PM
    Blackberries connect with RIM servers and transfer a lot of data between each other. This being done automatically even when the phone is idle. And like any other phone if this is done when it is in an area with a weak signal it will drain the battery faster.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-09 04:37 PM
    hmmm, I should send them back to get dumb phones then I think. Neither has even used a computer to my knowledge. Maybe blackberry's make more commission/money? must be it...
    Thanks for the reply.
    10-05-09 04:47 PM
    Maybe blackberry's make more commission/money? must be it...
    maybe your family needs to make more informed decisions before purchasing an expensive device.
    10-05-09 04:53 PM
    maybe your family needs to make more informed decisions before purchasing an expensive device.
    ...oh yes the reason that people love crackberry forums so much... great informative responses like yours...

Well they were both free and what was recommended to them by the people that should know what to recommend...

I go to the doctor when I have a medical problem. I go to a lawyer if I have a legal problem. I go to a real estate professional if I am buying real estate...

The list goes on and on. If I researched all the things that I would need to deal with on monthly and yearly basis without relying on other people that should know their area of expertise then I would be years behind...
    10-05-09 05:08 PM
    I think you're right to talk to them about trading to a cheaper phone if they aren't going to use the features of the blackberry. They are at least paying 30 bucks a month that it sounds like they won't use. But who knows maybe if you sat down with them and showed/explained the email browsing etc that the phone can do maybe they might find it more useful than you imagine. I just now taught my mother to text and send pictures with her dumb phone and now ages on it all the time like a little kid with a new toy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-09 05:17 PM
    Thanks hootyhoo.
    Yeah I was showing my dad how to blackberry message me and things and he got this glazed look in his eyes... I stopped talking and he came back.
    My aunt...its possible she might like it. You never know.

For my dad a regular phone may be best just so the battery life works better...
    Thanks again.
    10-05-09 09:37 PM
    im gonna "way-in" here... you battery life should NOT die that fast... absolutely not.

Are they running programs in the background? I can't talk about the flip because i have never used one, but on the curve, if you close a program by hitting the red button "end call" the program stays running. Some even stay running if you hold the "escape" button. Hit alt>app buttons, and scroll through the programs, there should only be like four or five apps running (and these aren't technically running, but act as "hot keys")
    1) call log
    2) Home Screen
    3) blackberry messenger
    4) messages
    5) Internet Browser

If there are more, shut them down. It is most likely a small user oversight. But if this doesn't fix anything, or it all seems cool, then it is a battery issue and needs to be returned for a new phone/battery.

Good luck, just my 2 cents.

Peace!
    10-05-09 10:37 PM
    im gonna "way-in" here... you battery life should NOT die that fast... absolutely not.
    Peace!
    A BlackBerry, running with only one bar of reception? Yeah, 8 hours isn't unreasonable.
    Also check that he doesn't have WiFi or BT on. But really, my wife only gets about 26-28 hours of life on her Pearl Flip with 4-5 bars and light use.
    10-05-09 11:17 PM
    I think what Dudermont is saying is that your family needs to be responsible as well.

I work in wireless sales and I've seen ppl come in, ask for Blackberrys and have no idea what they are even for. Once I explain the purpose and data pricing, a lot who truly don't need it are quick to object.

So I see what you mean about the cost being so great for your family, but at the same time...they need to be responsible for their purchase. Most carriers have a reasonable return policy so they should be able to return them.
    10-05-09 11:34 PM
    I work in wireless sales and I've seen ppl come in, ask for Blackberrys and have no idea what they are even for. Once I explain the purpose and data pricing, a lot who truly don't need it are quick to object.
    Wow. Either you're not getting commission, or you may be the ONLY honest wireless salesperson on the planet.
    Whenever I even LOOK at a new display phone, the sales folks are all over me like bees on honey.

I usually have to pull out my Curve and beat them back

A few weeks ago I was playing with a Tour the Bell store, and I got asked by no less than 4 salesmen if I needed help within a 3 minute period. I kid you not.
    I made the mistake of telling the last guy I wasn't buying, just looking, as I'm on a rival carrier, and he spent 5 minutes trying to convince me to switch before I managed to slip away.
    10-06-09 01:21 AM
    I agree maybe you need to check to make sure all applications are being closed correct and these should be all thats shows when all apps are closed
    1) call log
    2) Home Screen
    3) blackberry messenger
    4) messages
    5) Internet Browser

... and when I close out applications I use the Blackberry button(7 dots on it)and scrolll down that window and click close to close the application .Also as you mentioned perhaps this just isn't the phone for them.
    10-06-09 04:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD