Since we had - for the very first time in the last 12 years - an increased number of deads on the road, French government just decided to ban headset usage while driving.
    Besides the attention I'd like to bring to those of you traveling in France in the near future, I'd guess it bodes well for infotainement BT powerded systems, 50% of them being QNX powered !

P.S:
    - Law has yet to be promulgated
    - the 50% market share is based on past estimations but with recent switches and additions ... I'd expect some more !
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-02-15 06:05 AM
    Well i think that is already a law in the US??
    I know I can't do it in NY....Why would anyone wear a headset when driving anyway? Only makes sense and hopefully it saves some lives !!!!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-02-15 06:15 AM
    So u mean headsets as in physical in-ear headsets? I have this all-in console in my Renault, which connects to my phone with bluetooth. I know my focus isn't 100% when I'm on the phone when I'm calling with that. I wonder if that's banned too.

Posted from the 'Classy' Classic!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-02-15 06:24 AM
    The main reason might be to ban Google Glass while driving, since it can potentially interfere with vision.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    02-02-15 06:34 AM
    no, only in ear and "beats like" headsets...
    Integrated bluetooth hand free systems are not impacted.

As a french driver, I really hope that law pass and will be applied with due severity. How can someone be dumb to the point of preventing external noise while driving...
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    02-02-15 06:40 AM
    I don't think it is such a big deal to have one earbud in, at low volume. I know the cars around me sometimes play their stereo very loud, and I am sure they cannot hear anything above their radio. I tend to drive kinda scared, I was rear ended on the freeway not too long ago, totaling my car.
    02-02-15 11:14 AM
    It's the same problem we face everywhere. There are bad drivers and they make bad decisions.

Because we have bad drivers who can't use a phone while driving, we now have some pretty extreme laws that say you can't even have it in your hand while behind the wheel. Not even at a red light...get caught POOF here's a fine for you.

Now I do agree it's stupid to be driving and then text at the same time. Some say they can handle it but reality is, not many can. It shouldn't stop me from doing a quick check when I'm stopped at a red light...but no. Banned from touching the phone.

I also agree it wouldn't be smart to have headphones in while driving as you do need to hear what's going on...sirens etc. Having one ear bud in should be reasonable....but again we have poor drivers on the road who can't, so those more skilled drivers have to suffer.

And sometimes it's just a case of some left wing pinko commie government leader wanting to control every second of our life but ill leave that tinfoil hat moment for another time.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    02-02-15 11:29 AM
    Drivers on Cell Phones Are as Bad as Drunks - University of Utah News Release: June 29th, 2006

Remember at some point when I was a kid there was talk about getting rid of radios in cars as a lot of accidents were happening because people were distracted trying to tune in their favorite channel.....

Are phones a distraction.... yes.

But I'm not so sure that an Infotainment System isn't just as much of one, maybe when they are totall voice activated and controlled they be "better" . But simply our brains aren't made to focus on multiple things at one time. Just having a conversation to someone in the car, can be a distraction....

Which of course is why Google thinks they need to do all the driving...
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-02-15 11:51 AM
    It's the same problem we face everywhere. There are bad drivers and they make bad decisions.

Because we have bad drivers who can't use a phone while driving, we now have some pretty extreme laws that say you can't even have it in your hand while behind the wheel. Not even at a red light...get caught POOF here's a fine for you.

Now I do agree it's stupid to be driving and then text at the same time. Some say they can handle it but reality is, not many can. It shouldn't stop me from doing a quick check when I'm stopped at a red light...but no. Banned from touching the phone.

I also agree it wouldn't be smart to have headphones in while driving as you do need to hear what's going on...sirens etc. Having one ear bud in should be reasonable....but again we have poor drivers on the road who can't, so those more skilled drivers have to suffer.

And sometimes it's just a case of some left wing pinko commie government leader wanting to control every second of our life but ill leave that tinfoil hat moment for another time.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    But you have to set a rule that is valid for everyone. Therefore: no device (phone or anything else here - like a newspaper or a lipstick, btw).
    It's not about a "poor driver", it's a fact : having buds or headset prevent much more than just "noise" earing capabilities (see SM post).

+ re: BT is ok : yes, ATM.
    02-02-15 12:43 PM
    The main reason might be to ban Google Glass while driving, since it can potentially interfere with vision.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    In France, it is already clearly banned. Some experimental helmets for bikes have been banned and users got huge fines.
    Let's see what will happen with this one ...
    02-02-15 12:47 PM
    What they need to do is ban any conversations in the car with the driver.

Basically regulate a sound blocking plexiglass enclosure isolating the driver from the passengers.

A joke of course,.. but sadly I can almost actually see the ridiculous-over-reaching European governments try it.

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    02-02-15 12:49 PM
    A friend texted me the other day: "Hey, what are you doing ?"
    I replied, "Probably failing my driver's test !"
    02-02-15 01:02 PM
    Well i think that is already a law in the US??
    I know I can't do it in NY....Why would anyone wear a headset when driving anyway? Only makes sense and hopefully it saves some lives !!!!
    To answer your question, I have a Motorola h-730 headset and I wear it while driving as it is more convenient and safer than holding a handset up to my head(which is illegal where I live).
    Is talking on a headset more dangerous than talking to a passenger?
    Should it be illegal to talk to passengers while driving?
    I am going to do some research on this.
    I suspect that there is a small increase in risk associated with headset use but, compared to other hands-free options its probably negligible.
    02-02-15 04:47 PM
    Soooooooooooo............are they banning deaf drivers too?

Cell phone laws banning holding a phone to your head (like in NY) are totally pointless laws designed to do nothing but be campaign notches. You are just as distracted from holding a burger, or lipstick, or a map, as you are holding your phone. Or how about turning on your heated seats? Changing the radio station?

You are just as distracted listening to someone in the backseat as you are listening to someone on the phone....either via car speakers or in your ear directly or via the phones speakerphone function.
    lactose likes this.
    02-02-15 04:57 PM
    You are just as distracted from holding a burger, or lipstick, or a map, as you are holding your phone.
    At least as much. Note that all examples you gave are also forbidden in France. You have to keep both hands on the wheel and be able to "maneuver under any circumstances". This excludes approved actions in your car like turn on/of the radio, which are supposingly short actions you can interrupt instantly (while let your device - or a warm coffee - fall isn't something you'll do reflexively).

Is talking on a headset more dangerous than talking to a passenger?
    Should it be illegal to talk to passengers while driving?
    As a global response: no, you're not as much distracted with a physical conversation. With a phone conversation, you have to mentally "visualize" your interlocutor and/or the situation/emotional state he/she's in. Just remind your last call (on pay attention to the next one) you can easilly feel that your eyes are sometimes rolling up, down or sideways, just like when you want to focus more or react to emotion ... Now that you know that, you should easily notice it. (not to mention : try to remember the road from the beginning to the end of the call ... it's just like it collapsed in no time. In fact, that's a form of self-hypnosis ... but I'm afraid both my English and medical skills will stop me at this simple level lol)
    02-02-15 05:51 PM
    As a global response: no, you're not as much distracted with a physical conversation. With a phone conversation, you have to mentally "visualize" your interlocutor and/or the situation/emotional state he/she's in. Just remind your last call (on pay attention to the next one) you can easilly feel that your eyes are sometimes rolling up, down or sideways, just like when you want to focus more or react to emotion ... Now that you know that, you should easily notice it. (not to mention : try to remember the road from the beginning to the end of the call ... it's just like it collapsed in no time. In fact, that's a form of self-hypnosis ... but I'm afraid both my English and medical skills will stop me at this simple level lol)
    I see your point about the distraction of visualization, I think that occurs with headset and passenger but upon reflection I agree that is a bit more pronounced with the headset.
    As for the remembering the road, I think the same effect occurs with passenger and with headset.
    Each Christmas my brother and I spend a day together in the car and he asks me a non stop stream of ridiculous questions, its beyond exasperating. I have not as yet thrown him out of the car but I would probably politely hang up on him if he was on the phone.

BTW I can't find anything about the ban on the web. Can you provide a link please?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-02-15 06:49 PM
    I see people all the time driving with not just earbuds, but full on headphones. The bulk of them aren't on the phone, but listening to music! I'll see them get out of their cars and walk into a shop or store with music blasting out of their white earbuds attached to their iPhones.

I remember years ago when I was taking my driver's exam that driving with any kind of headphones was illegal in my home state, so what exactly changed other than the fact that some people want to drown out the world?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 05:02 AM
    In Australia, it's illegal to even touch your phone whilst driving.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-03-15 05:08 AM
    So here in Qu�bec, Canada, it's illegal to touch your phone when you're in the car... unless you're parked.

It's also illegal to wear a headset.

It's been like this for years now.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-03-15 05:14 AM
    Which is the same as the UK really, however, while out on my motorbike and benefitting from being higher and able to see into cars many idiots are calling, texting, facebooking, tweeting etc while driving

This brings it home

and if you have the time the full version

Last edited by slparry; 02-03-15 at 05:30 AM. Reason: adding full vid
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-03-15 05:27 AM
    It's idiots like this I see daily

despite it being illegal
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-03-15 05:34 AM
    Lol at the comments of having ONE earbud in the ear while driving. I love those "half a$$ed" people.

Guys you can't get half pregnant. You can't pay tax in half. Go full full or go home ffs.

This "half" mentality is laughable. when you drive you drive. You got to concentrate to the fullest. Because there are traps everywhere. So no music via " one earbud in one ear, yaaaaaay!" no! You wanna listen to music? I hope you have a radio/CD player in your car integrated. If not, shame on you.

No messaging or "checking sms" when you stop in red light. What's so hard to understand. Generation hipster and snapchat getting drivers licenses. Hide your kids. Lol.

No seriously. music via integrated radio CD player. Need a phone call? I have a telephone integrated in my car. Or get a Bluetooth headset connected via your smartphone. Of course you connected that before you drive.

If you keep these simple rules you will never have problems.

But keep trying doing "half" things and making accidents. Hope you fined so that you never drive a car again. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-03-15 08:07 AM
    I see your point about the distraction of visualization, I think that occurs with headset and passenger but upon reflection I agree that is a bit more pronounced with the headset.
    As for the remembering the road, I think the same effect occurs with passenger and with headset.
    Each Christmas my brother and I spend a day together in the car and he asks me a non stop stream of ridiculous questions, its beyond exasperating. I have not as yet thrown him out of the car but I would probably politely hang up on him if he was on the phone.

BTW I can't find anything about the ban on the web. Can you provide a link please?
    http://news.autoplus.fr/news/1490792...bres-Telephone

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    02-03-15 02:05 PM
    Granted this is only one reference but it does put the risk in perspective.

Latest driving research supports Australia?s hands-free phone laws

Looks like a tempest in a teacup to me.
    02-03-15 03:58 PM
    Which is the same as the UK really, however, while out on my motorbike and benefitting from being higher and able to see into cars many idiots are calling, texting, facebooking, tweeting etc while driving

This brings it home

and if you have the time the full version

lol. And the Darwin Award goes to....
    slparry likes this.
    02-03-15 05:02 PM
30 12