Nashville Predators Purchase May Be Going South, Not North!

It doesn't look like the Nashville Predators will be getting the green light to move to Hamilton any time soon. And if Gary Bettman gets his wish, it won't ever happen.

That was the message from the commissioner after a six-hour NHL board of governors meeting yesterday. The board did not vote on Research in Motion co-CEO Jim Balsillie's application to purchase the Predators, although the matter was discussed at length behind closed doors.

"The fact is that the Nashville Predators have a valid and binding lease to play in Nashville," Bettman said. "And while there's a possibility some time in the future that the lease could get terminated early, we're nowhere near the realm of knowing whether or not that could happen. We don't have a relocation issue pending, the only thing which could be conceivably pending is an ownership application."

And that application won't be considered, Bettman adds, until Balsillie and Predators' owner Craig Leipold have a binding agreement of purchase rather than the non-binding term sheet now in place.

Bettman was clearly irritated by Balsillie's moves on agreement to lease Copps Coliseum as a home for the Predators and sell season tickets.

Asked if he has discussed the issues with Balsillie, Bettman replied: "I've spoken to Mr. Balsillie, as recently as Monday ..."

[ Source ]
    06-21-07 09:14 AM
    As a season ticket holder in Nashville, I'm STILL pleased about this

The Preds are safe in Nash for at least the next two seasons, conceivably, as they offered special discounts this past season if we would commit to 2 season re-ups instead of single season. Sorry for those up north, but I'm happy. I'd be miserable without my boys in blue.

HockeyChic
    05-24-09 02:03 PM
    Nashville Predators Purchase May Be Going South, Not North!

It doesn't look like the Nashville Predators will be getting the green light to move to Hamilton any time soon. And if Gary Bettman gets his wish, it won't ever happen.

That was the message from the commissioner after a six-hour NHL board of governors meeting yesterday. The board did not vote on Research in Motion co-CEO Jim Balsillie's application to purchase the Predators, although the matter was discussed at length behind closed doors.

"The fact is that the Nashville Predators have a valid and binding lease to play in Nashville," Bettman said. "And while there's a possibility some time in the future that the lease could get terminated early, we're nowhere near the realm of knowing whether or not that could happen. We don't have a relocation issue pending, the only thing which could be conceivably pending is an ownership application."

And that application won't be considered, Bettman adds, until Balsillie and Predators' owner Craig Leipold have a binding agreement of purchase rather than the non-binding term sheet now in place.

Bettman was clearly irritated by Balsillie's moves on agreement to lease Copps Coliseum as a home for the Predators and sell season tickets.

Asked if he has discussed the issues with Balsillie, Bettman replied: "I've spoken to Mr. Balsillie, as recently as Monday ..."

[ Source ]
    Rin
    Gonna be tough to get any team to Hamilton...if a team starts playing there it almost guarantees that the Sabres would go bankrupt. I don't think Bettman (stoopid as he is) would allow any move to Hamilton by any team other than Buffalo and I don't think Buffalo will give up their team. Phoenix is losing money like they're getting paid to do it but I don't think the NHL will let them move there either. The only rink in Hamilton is not up to NHL standards...plus; I bet the Leafs would have something to say about any move by any team that would cut in on their fan base.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-09 06:31 PM
    Did everyone hear about how the Up til now SECRET NHL Constitution was revealed in court as part of the Pheonix Bankruptcy?

Allegedly it contains some verbage that may leave the NHL open to anti-competativeness Lawsuits.

Let Nashville keep their team Move Phoenix to Ontario
    06-08-09 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD