IF the delay is due to needing a better Chip, I think the delay is worth while

For any other reason I would be upset,
    I REALLY hope RIM has a NON LTE product they are going to launch in Q2 that is BB10 upgradable, but without LTE, that would be a good move
    but I fear they wont make it
    do you mean u want to see a phone w/o LTE, but with it upgradeable later to LTE? how did that work out, time wise, for the early Xoom adopters??
    12-15-11 09:05 PM
    do you mean u want to see a phone w/o LTE, but with it upgradeable later to LTE? how did that work out, time wise, for the early Xoom adopters??
    No, I want to see RIM launch a GSM based HSPA+ phone probably a Bold or a slider form factor running BB7, that has a GPU, and DualCore with sufficient hardware to be upgradable to BBX by launching a BB7 device for Global consumption it wont be a negative with the verizon relationship, then launching the FIRST BBX phone for All major carriers at once ala Samsung Galaxy will be political but then offering the upgrade of the Mid year BB7 device to BBX will show some good faith of backwards compatibility AND it will be a stepping stone as to the hardware for the BBX CURVE line.
    12-15-11 09:12 PM
    ah. (and ck my post regarding itunes...)
    12-15-11 09:13 PM
    ah. (and ck my post regarding itunes...)
    what is ck?
    12-15-11 09:30 PM
    RIM had a 92% sell through in Q3, that is very respectable,

yes I'm holding my $26.26 shares, with plans to increase my holdings in January

It isn't that I see the world through RIM coloured glasses, because I very much see their failures.
    BUT I don't see the world from a USA users glasses thinking they are the centre of the universe and they are the only market that matters.
    If you're going to buy Rimm stock in January, i can sell you a bridge in Brooklyn right now. Both these men are very nearly BILLIONAIRES! Taking a salary of $1. is a futile gesture, and a kick in the teeth to every loyal Blackberry supporter. Take off your blinders, and look at the situation objectively. Rimm needs new leadership immediately, and those two bozos must go, and go without any "golden parachute".
    12-15-11 09:30 PM
    what is ck?
    "check". I just meant to take a peek at the other thread where u mentioned itunes.

I know you already found it, and I just responded over there, again.
    12-15-11 09:35 PM
    Taking a $1.00 salary will be recognized by the market as two executives that are without a clue as to how to deliver any value to the owners of the company (shareholders). It truly amazes me that people can listen to the last 3 earnings conference calls and still be bullish on this company. The very fact that one of these CEO's guided to 7.50 earnings as late as June of 2011, shows that they are utterly clueless to the market, their capabilities, their business model.

They are still living in the world where the iPhone doesn't exist and they can continue to release the same blackberries and call them jaw dropping and people and corporations will buy them by the millions. Denial...
    12-15-11 09:38 PM
    If you're going to buy Rimm stock in January, i can sell you a bridge in Brooklyn right now. Both these men are very nearly BILLIONAIRES! Taking a salary of $1. is a futile gesture, and a kick in the teeth to every loyal Blackberry supporter. Take off your blinders, and look at the situation objectively. Rimm needs new leadership immediately, and those two bozos must go, and go without any "golden parachute".
    They USED to be Billionaires, with RIM's share loss they lost that status I believe when the shares fell below $40/share

And It's all about blending, your bridge wont blend my $26.26 for to a lower value for a future sale when I very much expect, and hope to see $30/share by 2013
    12-15-11 09:41 PM
    Taking a $1.00 salary will be recognized by the market as two executives that are without a clue as to how to deliver any value to the owners of the company (shareholders). It truly amazes me that people can listen to the last 3 earnings conference calls and still be bullish on this company. The very fact that one of these CEO's guided to 7.50 earnings as late as June of 2011, shows that they are utterly clueless to the market, their capabilities, their business model.

They are still living in the world where the iPhone doesn't exist and they can continue to release the same blackberries and call them jaw dropping and people and corporations will buy them by the millions. Denial...
    But Steve Jobs took a $1 salary?

They clearly are not living in a world where the iPhone doesn't exist or we still would be operating Sub 1Ghz BlackBerry's and LTE wouldn't be in their 5 year plan yet.
    12-15-11 09:43 PM
    But Steve Jobs took a $1 salary?

They clearly are not living in a world where the iPhone doesn't exist or we still would be operating Sub 1Ghz BlackBerry's and LTE wouldn't be in their 5 year plan yet.
    wait a sec. I think your logic went astray for a moment. Don't credit Apple for anyone's rollout of LTE (unless I misunderstood what u wrote).
    12-15-11 09:48 PM
    Yes the Poor PR stunt of $1 each will not save the company. At least 9 to 10 months delay on BBOS 10 phones is incomprehensible. The metric to watch in the interim is service revenue. As contracts expire, the consumer defection rate will accelerate. For those lost customers, carriers will not remit $5 per user for BIS. It's been said before as to how it works against tech companies:

How a computing platform dies

To explain RIM's challenges, I have to give you a little tech industry history. When I worked at Apple, I spent a lot of time studying failed computer platforms. I thought that if we understood the failures, we might be able to prevent the same thing from happening to us.

I looked at everything from videogame companies to the early PC pioneers (companies like Commodore and Atari), and I found an interesting pattern in their financial results. The early symptoms of decline in a computing platform were very subtle, and easy for a business executive to rationalize away. By the time the symptoms became obvious, it was usually too late to do anything about them.

The symptoms to watch closely are small declines in two metrics: the rate of growth of sales, and gross profit per unit sold (gross margins). Here's why:

Every computing platform has a natural pool of customers. Some people need or want the platform, and some people don't. Your product spreads through its pool of customers via the traditional "diffusion" process -- early enthusiasts first, late adopters at the end.

It's relatively easy to get good revenue from the early adopters. They seek out innovations like yours, and are willing to pay top dollar for it. As the market for a computer system matures, the early adopters get used up, and the company starts selling to middle adopters who are more price-sensitive. In response to this, the company cuts prices, which results in a big jump in sales. Total revenue goes up, and usually overall profits as well. Everybody in the company feels good.

Time passes, and that middle portion of the market gets consumed. Eventually demand growth starts to drop, and you make another price cut. Sales go up again, sometimes a lot. With revenue rising, you and your investors talk proudly about the benefits of reaching the "mainstream" market.

At Apple, when we hit this point we called our low-cost products the Macintosh Classic and Macintosh LC. At Palm, it was the M100.

What you don't realize at this point is that you're not "reaching the mainstream," you're actually consuming the late adopters. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to tell when you're selling to the late adopters. They don't wear signs. Companies tend to assume that because the adoption curve is drawn as a smooth-sided bell, your demand will tail off at the end as gradually as it built up in the beginning. But that isn't how it works. At the start, you are slowly building up momentum from a base of nothing. That takes years. But by the time you saturate the market you have built up huge sales momentum. You have a strong brand, you have advertising, you have a big distribution channel. You'll gulp through the late adopters really rapidly. The result is that sales continue to grow until they drop suddenly, like a sprinter running off the edge of a cliff.

The chart below illustrates how the process works:

Until you get close to the end, your revenue keeps rising, enabling you to tell yourself that the business is still in good shape. But eventually you reach the dregs of the market, and sales will flatten out, or maybe even start to drop. You cut prices again, but this time they don't increase demand because there are no latent customers left. All the cuts do is reduce further the revenue you get from selling upgrades to your installed base. The combination of price cuts and declining sales produces a surprisingly rapid drop in revenue and profits. If you want to make a profit (which your investors demand), your only choice is to make massive cuts in expenses. Those cuts usually end up eliminating the risky new product ideas that are your only hope of re-igniting demand.

At Apple I called this the platform "death spiral" because once you get into it, the expense cuts and sales declines reinforce each other. It's almost impossible to reverse the process, unless you're Steve Jobs and you get very lucky.

The best way to survive is to stay away from the cliff edge in the first place. But that means you need to be hyper-attentive to small changes in sales growth and gross margins
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 12-15-11 at 09:56 PM.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    12-15-11 09:50 PM
    wait a sec. I think your logic went astray for a moment. Don't credit Apple for anyone's rollout of LTE (unless I misunderstood what u wrote).
    I'm saying RIM wouldn't be looking at future technology if they were not actually aware of competition

they took off their blinders with OS7 doing such a significant jump in hardware over OS6, and I expect BB10 to jump in the same order of magnitude
    12-15-11 09:51 PM
    They USED to be Billionaires, with RIM's share loss they lost that status I believe when the shares fell below $40/share

And It's all about blending, your bridge wont blend my $26.26 for to a lower value for a future sale when I very much expect, and hope to see $30/share by 2013
    Look, you won't see RIMM at $26.26, let alone $30. You sound like a spin doctor, who doesn't know which way to spin. I'm not a fanboy of RIMM or Apple, but it all comes down to MARKETING! You have to have a product that people want, and then know how to market it. In that regard, Steve Jobs was a genius. It's no accident that Apple's iPhone5, won't be out until the end of 2012, after the new BB line is released. They planned it that way. In this case, last is better than first. People will see the new line of BB's, and still wait in line for days to get the latest iPhone. All the other phone companies don't have to help to destroy RIMM, RIMM is doing it for them, all by itself. The longer that those two clowns stay in their positions, the worse it will be for RIMM. So they're not billionaires anymore, what does that mean? Are they on the dole? Should we run a Benefit for them? Their ineptness made them rich, and is destroying a once viable company. RIMM has to cut their losses, lose those clowns, and get some people in charge who know how to run a company, and market a good product. End of story!
    1812dave likes this.
    12-15-11 11:05 PM
    Yes the Poor PR stunt of $1 each will not save the company. At least 9 to 10 months delay on BBOS 10 phones is incomprehensible.
    Incomprehensible, because there is NO DELAY. RIM never promised early 2012. They did not promise any timeframe till today. So the BB10 phones cannot be delayed. We wish they could deliver.quicker, but don't confuse that with a promise or commitment that was broken. They described the good technical basis for their delivery schedule. How about some credit for that plan to deliver a fully developed line of phones with LTE and no battery issues found in all many apple and android phones right now.

Not delayed. Planned.
    12-15-11 11:35 PM
    I personally think $100 million spent advertising to the US market will help, sales people sell when they have spiffs and ad juice behind a product, the product is as good or better than the competition.

And as stated before, the international market is a whole other ball of wax, they pay the real price for their phones, so would rather a $300-500 BB than a $600-900 iPhone off contract. It's a different world outside the US/Canada market people.
    12-15-11 11:39 PM

Not delayed. Planned.
    How about "late"?? As in "a day late and a dollar short", or "late to the party", or "duh, we can't compete--it's not FAIR!!!". gimmie a break. please don't toy with semantics. If RIM can't produce a hit NOW, I say their phones are "delayed", "late", "irrelevant".
    12-16-11 12:16 AM
    How about "late"?? As in "a day late and a dollar short", or "late to the party", or "duh, we can't compete--it's not FAIR!!!". gimmie a break. please don't toy with semantics. If RIM can't produce a hit NOW, I say their phones are "delayed", "late", "irrelevant".
    Look, I'd love to have the latest and greatest immediately too. But just because you want it now doesn't mean that is feasible. RIM just released the OS7 phones a couple of months ago. Demanding new phones will not make them materialize any faster. The OS7 phones are pretty d@mn nice and would sell better if RIM stepped up the advertising and worked with the telcos to sell the phones and the software updates that include mobile hotspots and NFC.
    12-16-11 12:36 AM
    Incomprehensible, because there is NO DELAY. RIM never promised early 2012. They did not promise any timeframe till today. So the BB10 phones cannot be delayed. We wish they could deliver.quicker, but don't confuse that with a promise or commitment that was broken. They described the good technical basis for their delivery schedule. How about some credit for that plan to deliver a fully developed line of phones with LTE and no battery issues found in all many apple and android phones right now.

Not delayed. Planned.
    Keep spinning it fanboy. The new chips Lazaridis wants will also be used by HTC, Samsung et al. With each delay (PB OS 2, mobile hotspot, NFC, now BBOS 10), RIM is losing more relevance to American consumer. As contracts expire, people are not waiting for RIM.

Nevertheless, RIM will muddle along like Nokia with Nokia type of share price. All of you who bought in at $20 won't see it again, hope for it in 2013 if RIM gets a buyout.
    12-16-11 06:32 AM

Not delayed. Planned.
    Actually, there was no formal promise about a release schedule, they just suggested and planned on Q3.
    12-16-11 06:47 AM
    I think we are missing the most important factor here. If RIM really does not release it within the next couple of months, the iPhone 5 looms.
    12-16-11 06:49 AM
    WWDC June July timeframe 2012.......RIMM better hurry
    12-16-11 07:21 AM
    I think we are missing the most important factor here. If RIM really does not release it within the next couple of months, the iPhone 5 looms.
    The customer will assess to which phone to obtain around contract expiry date. iPhone 5 does not loom large in the minds of customers, if it is released 10 months from now. Everyone was expecting a strong turnaround from RIM in 2012. It's not going to happen. The chips are only available mid-2012, once RIM has phones available for testing to the Carriers, it could be Sept or Oct. Then the release date of the phones will be 3 to 6 months afterwards. This is becoming a 2013 story.
    12-16-11 12:11 PM
    During the conference call, announcement of CEO compensation reduced to $1, effective immediately. But are they worth it? (no mention of stock options)
    Not uncommon for people in those positions to take a low salary and load up on stocks and dividend pay outs. I believe doing it that way creates greater tax savings for them.

They still need to go imo... fresh eyes and new perspective is desperately needed for RIM.
    12-16-11 04:32 PM
    Not uncommon for people in those positions to take a low salary and load up on stocks and dividend pay outs. I believe doing it that way creates greater tax savings for them.

They still need to go imo... fresh eyes and new perspective is desperately needed for RIM.

They need somebody like mark zuckerberg. Somebody in that sense that's got a 100% open mind to anything with guidence from the two ceo's. A geeky one who thinks huge!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-16-11 05:44 PM
    I think even a guy who used to sell "sugar water" could do a better job of running RIM. I think most of you know to whom I am alluding...
    12-16-11 06:26 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD