I am currently an out of contract customer of US Cellular. They have excellent coverage in my area, better than AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. The problem is that their Blackberries lag far behind, and I'm not sure I can stand being so far behind on new releases. Because of exclusivity deals they never got Bold or Storm, and will not be getting Tour or Onyx. They currently have no wi-fi enabled phones, and worse yet I was told there are none in testing (testing is 6 months for USCC).

The one thing holding me back is the great plan. Due to a sharetalk plan, I can get unlimited data/messaging/and a few talk minutes for about $20 total. Great deal - problem being that I'm not sure they have the phones to really utilize the service (and don't appear to be getting them).

Can anyone recommend another carrier service/price wise? Of course I can't match my current steal of a deal, but something reasonable.

I've also wondered about the devices themselves. I do very little calling, mostly data/messaging. Are the BBs that are coming out within the next 6 months a big improvement in web experience, or is it worth considering another manufacturer for a better web experience? The iPhone takes the cake in web browsing, but AT&T coverage is spotty in Iowa City (my primary location).

Sorry for the long email, any advice would be much appreciated.
    06-26-09 01:36 PM
    You probably will be spending anywhere from 75-100 for a unlimted data plan and some sort of min. Plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-09 01:40 PM
    yeah, and that is to be expected. the primary reasons i am even currently with USCC are the excellent midwest coverage and the incredible deal that i am getting. however, my concern is that they aren't providing the technology to really take advantage of the service. their smartphone offerings are really pretty brutal.
    Last edited by suite1718; 06-26-09 at 01:52 PM.
    06-26-09 01:49 PM
    Do a test drive with Verizon or ATT. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have at least as good coverage in college town than USCC. What are you basing that on?

06-26-09 09:00 PM
    Get a phone from ATT, VZ, and TMO for a week. You can test any phone for 10-14 days for free. Keep your phone in mint condition so you can return it for a 100% refund. I did this to test out the best connections for my area.
    06-26-09 09:28 PM
    Best deal I have come up with is the Sprint EPRP. 500 minutes, N&W at 7, unlimited everything else(SMS, MMS, GPS, Data, BIS, Sprint TV, etc.) for $59.99. Linkto log-in info and a long thread on it.
    06-26-09 09:57 PM
    I agree. Sprint has the best prices that there are out of the big carriers. Depending on your employer, they may offer discounts. I get a 22% discount.

06-26-09 10:07 PM
    The sprint deal sounds good. If you are frequently in a wi-fi covered are I would also suggest checking out the TMO 8900. You can get unlimited UMA calling for 10 bucks. The BB plan is 25. I don't know if you can get the UMA and BB package without some voice minutes though. Do not take a flex pay plan as I've heard the CS reps for the flexpay is outsourced and terrible.

06-26-09 10:07 PM
    For the "web experience", search "skyfire" that is due out for the blackberry very soon. Its a full browser with embeded flash.

06-26-09 10:18 PM
    Skyfire isn't too bad. I use it on my WM Diamond. For a full flash browser it gets the job done but is a bit "clunky" to navigate. But to be able to have hulu on the go it is worth it!
    06-26-09 10:44 PM
    I personally prefer Verizon over Sprint but like the others have said see if you can do a test run on different carriers! I am North of you in Minnesota, but also am close to the cities so my coverage is fine!!
    06-27-09 01:06 AM
    in my opinion, Sprint sucks. There data might be faster, and you might be able to get a newer model of phone, but dealing with their customer service reps would push me away. US Cellular's plans are better than any that I've seen anywhere, and while their service may be lacking slightly, if you get a national plan, you get to roam off Verizon's network for no charge, data and calls. I've got a buddy with a Palm on Sprint, and he's miserable (could be the junk phone he's got) and I referred him to USCC because of the cheap BB plan, plus the free incoming everything USCC offers. The only conpany I can see that offers anything slightly comparable is T-Mobile, just because they charge less for the BB plan than ATT and Verizon. With 4.5 on one of USCC's BB's, you'll get what you want. If you want an amazing web browsing experience, get an I iPhone, or a Bold on ATT, but be prepared to pay for it. While USCC might take a while to get the newest devices, they are the dark horse in BB's. Cheapist plans, good coverage, and the best customer service in the industry. I'll be a USCC customer for a long time, you can't beat them for the value.

06-27-09 01:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD