If the Edmonton Police Department has BES10, their choice of device does not matter. That is the ENTIRE point of going cross platform with BES10. So even IF this were true, BlackBerry would still be managing those devices, and getting the license fees for it.
    Beginning to feel more like an intelligently prescient move.
    03-24-14 12:51 PM
    Blackberry is not going after handset sales they are looking at phone management tools as the future. So all the claims of bad news really isn't.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 01:47 PM
    Blackberry is not going after handset sales they are looking at phone management tools as the future. So all the claims of bad news really isn't.
    If this report is true, it is not optimal. BBRY would love the sales AND licensing fees. So no, it wouldn't be good news.
    03-24-14 01:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...tomers-909854/

BB definitely wants hardware sales, but they are no longer ignoring software sales
    03-24-14 01:58 PM
    Hope they don't run NCIC/METERS on an IPhone. You think protecting information is hard now wait till they try that.
    03-24-14 05:33 PM
    Hope they don't run NCIC/METERS on an IPhone. You think protecting information is hard now wait till they try that.
    There are mobile clients for NCIC that comply with federal security requirements available for iOS (and Android IIRC).
    03-24-14 05:37 PM
    Still no link. OK, um I heard every police department in the us is switching to BlackBerry. What a win.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 05:41 PM
    ...there is a song "I heard it through the grape vine"....so it must be true....
    03-24-14 07:48 PM
    Chuckle... As an Edmontonian, I find this speculation amusing. However, based on this:

Edmonton raked in $41.3 million from photo radar and red-light camera violations in 2013

I can see how they can afford them.

Carry on...
    03-24-14 10:17 PM
    First that money goes to the City coffers. Second it's not about affording the phones. They all have Blackberries now. So as the old phones die the new ones replace em. Is worked into the annual budget.

Not sure about Edmonton but RCMP will only use BlackBerry because iphones are not deemed secure enough for email or transmission of confidential information.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 10:41 PM
    First that money goes to the City coffers. Second it's not about affording the phones. They all have Blackberries now. So as the old phones die the new ones replace em. Is worked into the annual budget.
    Posted via CB10

Er, and who funds the EPS?

Edmonton Police Commission :: City of Edmonton

I hear the got another police helicopter as well... Literally... It's flying overhead as I type this.

Cheers,
    03-24-14 10:55 PM
    Yes but EPS does not get more money for writing more tickets! It's a fixed annual budget.know what you are talking about before spewing bs.

And yes they did get a new helicopter. Largely paid for by province as is used outside the city by RCMP a fair bit. AIR1 spent a LOT of time flying over RCMP areas. Same reason CPS got HAWC2. It's cheaper to have EPS/CPS with 2 helicopters than to have one in each city plus RCMP helicopters in each city too (multiple hangers, pilots, maintenance crews, management, etc).

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 11:03 PM
    Well I can tell you the extra revenue isn't going to fixing potholes.

Lighten up.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 11:08 PM
    Police?

You Canadians all seem way too nice and friendly to break any laws
    03-24-14 11:18 PM
    Police?

You Canadians all seem way too nice and friendly to break any laws
    That was before Biebs.
    SK122387, CDM76 and JeepBB like this.
    03-24-14 11:29 PM
    that was before biebs.
    haha good point!
    03-24-14 11:33 PM

So the headline should read: "Edmonton police issue iPhones to members; recalls gloves from members and issues sci-fi texting gloves"

Come on. Not everyone wants to go buy "texting gloves". They're about as fashionable as Google Glass and a Galaxy smart watch.

Consider people who may need to wear specific gloves for work as part of a uniform, safety gloves, etc...
    03-25-14 12:39 AM
    Somebody in Edmonton should show any police officer on the beat his/her Blackberry to get the word spreading.
    03-25-14 12:51 AM
    Edmonton is not switching to iPhone. I just called one of my best buds who is a Detective there. He said the only changes they're making is going from legacy to BB10. He just got his new phone a couple months ago.

Enough with these rumours. Check your sources.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 02:32 AM
    Edmonton is not switching to iPhone. I just called one of my best buds who is a Detective there. He said the only changes they're making is going from legacy to BB10. He just got his new phone a couple months ago.

Enough with these rumours. Check your sources.

Posted via CB10
    Cool. So taking you at your word, BlackBerry gets the licensing fees for BES10 and the hardware sales.
    03-25-14 05:59 AM
    Amazing how many people just require a comment by a random poster to go off on a rant or say the sky is falling. Not even a link to a shady website...just a comment is enough to set people off, and not even a very compelling one with much detail.
    Yeah, it's got that "I heard from someone, who heard from someone, who heard from someone, who heard from someone" vibe to it, eh?
    03-25-14 06:08 AM
    I feel the same. No offense to iPhone, but it does not stack up to BB10 in the practical sense. iPhone to me is more like an accessory rather than an on the job tool. Again, no offense....that's how I see it.