I suspect that the difference between consumers and enterprise is shrinking very fast. It's been said before... enterprise users are consumers first; they'll be very comfortable using devices they use at home, locked down or not.

And iOS devices have garnered FIPS certification, no?
    I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that only iOS 6.1 has FIPS certs.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 11:01 PM
    Well, seeing the news today that Obama is not ditching his BlackBerry now speaks volumes. Governments and companies really have to think before jumping ship. Yes, I'm biased, but for good reason.

Powered by BlackBerry
    03-23-14 11:01 PM
    I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that only iOS 6.1 has FIPS certs.
    I am admittedly behind on my FIPS info, but I suspect you are correct.
    03-23-14 11:02 PM
    Well, seeing the news today that Obama is not ditching his BlackBerry now speaks volumes. Governments and companies really have to think before jumping ship. Yes, I'm biased, but for good reason.
    I don't think he ever will, even if he uses iOS devices on the side.

But what happened to his Sectera? Isn't that what he uses for real secure stuff? A colleague reminded me of it.
    03-23-14 11:04 PM
    I suspect that the difference between consumers and enterprise is shrinking very fast. It's been said before... enterprise users are consumers first; they'll be very comfortable using devices they use at home, locked down or not.

And iOS devices have garnered FIPS certification, no?
    No
    03-23-14 11:05 PM
    I don't think he ever will, even if he uses iOS devices on the side.

But what happened to his Sectera? Isn't that what he uses for real secure stuff? A colleague reminded me of it.
    That'll probably be the Boeing phone if he does indeed move on from it.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 11:06 PM
    No
    Yep: Validated 140-1 and 140-2 Cryptographic Modules
    03-23-14 11:09 PM
    That'll probably be the Boeing phone if he does indeed move on from it.
    This armchair CEO thinks the companies needs a few more corporate evangelists. Everyday people in everyday jobs that can help curb any enterprise defections. Maybe something like Evernote's Ambassador program.

I know, I know... easier said than done. I know the company has tried it and all. I just feel that at the enterprise arena (where the need for a strong third-party ecosystem might be somewhat lessened), a lack of positive mindshare might be hurting BBRY most. Well, that and different interpretations of JC's 50% comment.
    convenor likes this.
    03-23-14 11:14 PM
    They're not Mounties.

Edmonton Police Service (EPS) is a city police force.

The famous "mounties" is the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and do not operate in Edmonton. They're a federal Police force.
    Was just a little British humour. Any police related happenings in Canada here always gets portrayed (humourously) as been a good old Mountie jaunt. Hell, even those Canadian lumberjacks come out to help too sometimes! ; )

Z10 In action here!
    03-24-14 12:37 AM
    Noooo, I leave Edmonton for a few years, and look what happened!?!
    Wonder can they still request to have a BlackBerry?
    03-24-14 02:17 AM
    I live just north of edmonton and haven't seen or heard anything along these lines tho. Where did you get this info?
    Any link or resource?
    I would like to see a link to this story as well. That surely would be publicized.

Obviously I cant say for sure, but this seems to be the common regurgitation of anything posted around the world that is negative about BlackBerry.
    It just seems weird to me that an Administrator on Usoft posts this in their News & Rumors BlackBerry forum and a couple of hours later it is posted in our News & Rumors forum.
    Pretty much verbatim. With no links or additional information other than "I heard".
    I truly sometimes believe people actually look for something negative to post here. But that's just me....
    I could be wrong about the whole thing though....
    BlackBerry - Bad News - Edmonton Police switching to iphone after BB10: [ News & Rumors ]
    THBW likes this.
    03-24-14 02:56 AM
    Maybe because iphone just works? It's faster for simple tasks.

I find it hard to believe that if they tested BB10, they would be so daft to switch to an Iphone. I mean 90% of people who try a Z10 would never go back to using an Iphone after they experience how terrible typing is on an Iphone, as well as the poor call quality, reception, as well as the antiquated OS (10 years out of date). I don't believe this story, the only explanation is that maybe the person testing was a hardcore Iphone sheep fanboy!
    OMG! You blame other being a sheep fanboy but you don't look at how blindly blacksheep fanboy you are!

I own both iphone 5 (with ios7) and z10, and the typing on iphone is not bad at all! Plus the OS (7.x) looks modern and it's snappy (yeah, overall smoother and battery optimized). Antique OS lmao.

So please, next time be more careful.

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l and anon(5828343) like this.
    03-24-14 03:32 AM
    Maybe because iphone just works? It's faster for simple tasks.

OMG! You blame other being a sheep fanboy but you don't look at how blindly blacksheep fanboy you are!

I own both iphone 5 (with ios7) and z10, and the typing on iphone is not bad at all! Plus the OS (7.x) looks modern and it's snappy (yeah, overall smoother and battery optimized). Antique OS lmao.

So please, next time be more careful.

Posted via CB10
    It's funny, up here I've heard of that in a few corporations through friends, etc. It seems the choice either opens up to BlackBerry or iPhone, or move on to iPhone. Haven't heard one yet where they opened up the choice to include Android, or WP8, though it's probably happened.

I'd agree that iOS 7.x is pretty fluid, and the battery seems pretty good. The keyboard though, yeah, at best I'd give it "not bad at all". I certainly wouldn't say it's a great keyboard, at least not in my own personal experiences of using them. I haven't used my iPhone as a daily driver for about a year but the auto-correct / suggest used to drive me up a wall.
    03-24-14 09:26 AM
    They just wanna be on the winning side for once since their hockey team hasn't been doing well for a long long time.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-24-14 09:39 AM
    There will be a lot of broken iPhones from all the moves the officers will be doing
    03-24-14 09:45 AM
    I would like to see a link to this story as well. That surely would be publicized.

Obviously I cant say for sure, but this seems to be the common regurgitation of anything posted around the world that is negative about BlackBerry.
    It just seems weird to me that an Administrator on Usoft posts this in their News & Rumors BlackBerry forum and a couple of hours later it is posted in our News & Rumors forum.
    Pretty much verbatim. With no links or additional information other than "I heard".
    I truly sometimes believe people actually look for something negative to post here. But that's just me....
    I could be wrong about the whole thing though....
    BlackBerry - Bad News - Edmonton Police switching to iphone after BB10: [ News & Rumors ]
    Yes, well being in the public service in Alberta, I've heard nothing about this. Edmonton Police certainly runs BES10 so I'm a bit skeptical.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-24-14 10:01 AM
    If true, it's not good for BlackBerry, but it would be even worse news for Edmonton. Cops sitting around, playing angry birds...criminals running through the streets doing whatever they want...

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-24-14 11:02 AM
    If the Edmonton Police Department has BES10, their choice of device does not matter. That is the ENTIRE point of going cross platform with BES10. So even IF this were true, BlackBerry would still be managing those devices, and getting the license fees for it.
    03-24-14 11:05 AM
    If true, it's not good for BlackBerry, but it would be even worse news for Edmonton. Cops sitting around, playing angry birds...criminals running through the streets doing whatever they want...
    But Angry Birds is available for BB10 too... and then the cops would have the extra distraction of sideloading Snap and such.
    03-24-14 11:06 AM
    Think about it, this is a good reason to bring back the optical trackpad on some phone models with the keyboard.

Let me explain: Edmonton is cold, police officers wear gloves. Optical trackpad and keyboard can be used with gloves, iPhone can't.
    03-24-14 11:09 AM
    If the Edmonton Police Department has BES10, their choice of device does not matter. That is the ENTIRE point of going cross platform with BES10. So even IF this were true, BlackBerry would still be managing those devices, and getting the license fees for it.
    Well, in the end licencing fees are really what you want. To be honest, on the hardware side margins are shrinking fast in enterprise as companies are not willing to pay consumer prices. I have heard that Apple sells the iPhone (albeit an iPhone 4) as low as 90 dollars to certain corporate customers just to garner business.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    03-24-14 11:14 AM
    I don't get how cost us the factor. Bb10 devices cheaper than iPhone and BES10 cheaper than competition. It can't be price. Likely sheep mentality and no concerns about security.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, because police forces do not care about security at all, and they buy whatever happens to be popular.

Sheep mentality? Is this the goto fanboy excuse every single time?

If they are getting iPhone 4 or 4S, they may be getting them for really good prices.
    03-24-14 11:23 AM
    Let me explain: Edmonton is cold, police officers wear gloves. Optical trackpad and keyboard can be used with gloves, iPhone can't.
    Yes it can. No need to spread misinformation. These have been available for years now.

Search for gloves - iMore Store
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...UvbUpU10158128
    Amazon.com: Texting Gloves - Touch Screen Phone Smart Gloves For iPhone, Android & Other Touch Screen Devices (GREY): Explore similar items
    03-24-14 11:31 AM
    At this point in the game, I think it's better for BlackBerry to focus more on increasing BES deployments anyway. The BYOD trend is irreversible, time to face the facts and be smart about it. If the EPS use BES 10, then the iPhone gets the beefed up security anyway, no?
    Sith_Apprentice and MERCDROID like this.
    03-24-14 11:35 AM
    Amazing how many people just require a comment by a random poster to go off on a rant or say the sky is falling. Not even a link to a shady website...just a comment is enough to set people off, and not even a very compelling one with much detail.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-24-14 12:40 PM
81 1234