sup everyone, just wondering if there is a feature on our phone or free app that automatically turns wifi on once you step into the house & turns 3G on once you leave the house... any info would would be great, thanks.
    05-12-10 05:41 PM
    You can do that through your wifi profiles.

options > wifi > select the connection you want > menu > edit > connection mode to automatic.
    05-12-10 05:45 PM
    You can do that through your wifi profiles.

options > wifi > select the connection you want > menu > edit > connection mode to automatic.
    i know about that already thanks, but STILL i have to manually go to:
    -settings
    -manage connections
    -mobile network options
    -connection preference: wifi only
    -go back & check the box wi-fi

do you get my point?
    05-12-10 05:57 PM
    doesn't it simply prefer WiFi when in range, and go 3G otherwise?

i.e. if the WiFi logo lights up, data is prefering it?
    05-12-10 06:14 PM
    Sorry couldn't help. Mine works that way so that's all I know. Maybe the wifi guy will chime in.

But for Apps you check this out yet?
    Superstore

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-10 06:29 PM
    sup everyone, just wondering if there is a feature on our phone or free app that automatically turns wifi on once you step into the house & turns 3G on once you leave the house... any info would would be great, thanks.
    if you're doing this for battery purposes, i don't think you get much benefit. a program that continually checks signal strengths is going to drain it just as much as having both on at the same time. your phone will select the best connection to go through when making calls/data automatically.
    05-12-10 06:39 PM
    if you're doing this for battery purposes, i don't think you get much benefit. a program that continually checks signal strengths is going to drain it just as much as having both on at the same time. your phone will select the best connection to go through when making calls/data automatically.
    This is exactly right. There is no way or need to do this. Just leave the WiFi switched on. There is virtually no impact on battery life.

Of course it is worth switching off WiFi if you are going to be out of range of an AP fro several days baut aprt from that, just switch it on and leave it be.
    05-12-10 07:26 PM

For battery purposes, no. For easy & reliable convenience, yes. Not really worried if does drain the battery because i always have some sort of charger with me. I actually dont notice my battery level going down at all when wifi is turned on. Im looking for something like this: WiFi Comrade Turns Off WiFi When Not Needed - 100 Copies to Give Away | CrackBerry.com

I know its $5-6 but YES, i am cheap haha. Just looking for a free version or some sort, that would be nice. thanks. Sorry if im confusing you guys of what im trying to explain
    05-12-10 07:45 PM
    He said he's having problems getting it to automatically sign on when he, let's say, comes home.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-10 07:47 PM
    AutoWifi - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

autowifi is free and turns wifi on/off based on location

i use wifihero so i don't know how well this one works.
    05-12-10 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD