Insurance + other services to compete with BB Protect and other similar programs.

Read more here

All for $9.99/month = $120/year

************************************************** ***************************
    AT&T Mobile Protection Pack combines the following services:

Mobile Insurance. Formerly Wireless Phone Insurance, Mobile Insurance provides replacement for approved claims involving loss, theft, accidental damage, liquid damage, or mechanical and electrical failure after the manufacturer's warranty expires. Customers can sign up within 30 days of service activation or device upgrade.

Enhanced Support. Customers can take advantage of direct live support (via phone or web chat) for device setup, plus general "how to" help and ongoing troubleshooting assistance. Customers can also grant the service agent permission to remotely access a capable device and/or customer's computer via a secure connection to help manage account and device needs.

Mobile Locate. Available exclusively within the AT&T Protection Pack, Mobile Locate allows users to remotely locate, lock or sound an alarm on their missing phone via the Mobile Protection Pack website. Compatible phones must be powered-on and be within an AT&T coverage area. Highlights include:

Locate missing phone in real-time. Customers can locate their phone in real time, plus retrieve the last five locations of the device, including turn-by-turn directions to each of the locations.
    Sound an alarm. An alarm on the device can be activated, even if the phone is on silent or vibrate. The alarm will sound for three minutes unless turned off by the customer.
    Secure data by remotely locking the phone. Customers have the ability to remotely lock the phone if lost. If the phone is found, customers can simply enter a unique pin to unlock the phone.
    Last edited by duckduke; 03-31-11 at 10:41 AM.
    03-31-11 10:05 AM
    It can't really compete with BB Protect, since BB Protect is free and also offers OTA backups of your device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-11 10:20 AM
    I can't believe they are charging $9.99/month and they are not providing any form of backup service.

This is basically insurance with a few locate functions and........a ?help? desk.

Sad thing is ............ I wonder how many they will sign up. The group here a crackberry (and other heavy users/addicts) are a minority. The majority of consumers are less informed/knowledgable.

I wonder if $9.99 will cover everyone on a family plan or if they will try and charge this per phone.
    03-31-11 10:50 AM
    I guess that's how they plan on paying for T-Mobile.
    03-31-11 12:08 PM
    I can't believe they are charging $9.99/month and they are not providing any form of backup service.

This is basically insurance with a few locate functions and........a ?help? desk.

Sad thing is ............ I wonder how many they will sign up. The group here a crackberry (and other heavy users/addicts) are a minority. The majority of consumers are less informed/knowledgable.

I wonder if $9.99 will cover everyone on a family plan or if they will try and charge this per phone.
    Are you kidding, it will be per phone as they all like to make us bend over every chance they can.
    03-31-11 12:10 PM
    It has nothing to do with being bent over. It also covers insurance on the device. You don't just pay a flat fee to insure all of the cars in your household, you pay per vehicle.

03-31-11 12:12 PM
    So we go from 4.99$ for just plain insurance(insurion) and add an additional 5$ for location aiding and a help desk, but no online backups. Waste of money IMO.
    03-31-11 01:26 PM
    Lol, Windows Phones get that for free, and you sure as **** don't have to contact AT&T for it.

Maybe it's more for Android and WebOS users? :P

EDIT: I can't believe "h e l l" is censored...
    03-31-11 03:19 PM
    $9.99 per month. Let me think about that for a millisecond or two. BlackBerry Protect is free. We have had phones for many years and never bought insurance = $0 in that department. No, my family is not going to enroll any of our BB phones in the new plan.
    03-31-11 03:33 PM
    It has nothing to do with being bent over. It also covers insurance on the device. You don't just pay a flat fee to insure all of the cars in your household, you pay per vehicle.

I know that, but what you get for the extra $$ is nothing really.
    03-31-11 04:01 PM
    If they offer to track the phone by IMEI as well as GPS then you get a lot, since the phone will still be trackable even if the SIM card is swapped and the device is factory reset.

Other than that... Not worth it, just pay the insurance and save money on that extra cruft...
    03-31-11 04:16 PM
    Dude, whats up? MMM..
    I guess that's how they plan on paying for T-Mobile.
    So, How do you know?
    03-31-11 04:36 PM
    rest assured thousands of people will sign up

people are stupid
    sad but true
    04-01-11 05:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD