Pixel quantity (over a certain level) is nothing, lens quality is likely much more important.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-31-12 08:29 AM
    A little off topic,but apparently my dual core HTC sensation is suffering lag caused by entropy and not a dodgy OS. The 8mp camera is pretty crap too, but mostly down to the software (sense 4). The specs are reasonable for a phone, but the results are pretty crap.

So with a dubious os, poor camera drivers and quantum issues on my current phone, I just need this bb10 phone to work well, regardless of its 'average spec'
    The Sensation was pretty craptastic anyway. It didn't have to do with the OS as it did as much as hardware issues. The lag was worse than any other Android phone I had (especially apparent in trying to do the carousel effect with the skin), there were weak wifi issues, and the camera did indeed suck especially with taking close up shots. I got a HTC Amaze shortly after several ordeals trying to get a working Sensation through warranty exchange, and the difference between those two devices was night and day. It really DOES go to show that specs aren't everything, but also the OS isn't necessarily everything either. There's a lot that goes into making a device a total package.
    tinker2000 likes this.
    12-31-12 08:48 AM
    That many MP front camera is useless because it will be taking pics of the holder of the phone and only at a distance of a couple feet. Rear anything 8 and over is enough pixels. I'd rather have a great quality 8 sensor than a low quality 13+. Quality not Quantity!
    TomJasper likes this.
    12-31-12 09:44 AM
    The approach Blackberry is taking, of Hardware and Software working as one, is refreshing and much needed.
    The last time Thorsten needs to be preoccupied is the spec-race "pissing contest".
    12-31-12 03:47 PM
    An oldie, but a goodie:

The Megapixel Myth
    TomJasper likes this.
    12-31-12 06:02 PM
    All this spec race stuff to the side, I would love to see RIM launch the Aristo right after the s4 and go head to head with it! nothing like walking up to the biggest guy in the room and having at him. That is of course if RIM/BB10 has the Kahuwnas. I believe it will!
    01-01-13 12:07 AM
    With QNX being such a multitasking beast, wouldn't it be logical to be concerned with the specs of the device, especially memory? I personally feel that another 512MB of RAM in the PlayBook would be epic. Specs do matter, but they shouldn't be the only selling point.
    01-01-13 01:16 AM
    yes. but it apparently has an 8mp cam. which is the same as the market leading iphone that just came out. that is sufficient.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    You're not seeing my point... Keep in mind, the iPhone 5's lens is outstanding, hopefully the new bb10 phones do as well.
    01-01-13 06:23 AM
    ATTN it to the CEO of nikon/canon/fuji. we need phone capabilities on the DSLRs!

smartphone is a phone..... go get a cam if you need to shoot.
    01-01-13 09:38 AM
    Here is an interesting fact that should nail this myth that mega pixels sell. Everybody knows or most know that good hand held digital cameras simply crush cell phone cameras, yet the sales of hand held digital cameras have decreased 17% over the last year. In other words owners of cell phone cameras figure their cell phone camera is "good enough" for uploading/sharing via social media. Conclusion: if cell phone camera owners were so concerned about mega pixels they would be buying hand held digital cameras, they are increasingly not. I keep bringing up Nokia 808 cell phone because it has 41 mega pixels and it's simply not selling.

What's interesting is the samsung has seen this decreased selling of hand held digital cameras and has introduced a hand held digital camera running on droid O/S with wifi, in other words they are trying to fill the void in that market because you can't increase the cell phone camera much more without making the darn thing look like a hand held digital camera. I don't see this samsung unit flying off the shevles, $500 , ouch, although it may have a niche market for low cost local reporters/indie media.

Z10 x10 therefore will have what the "mainstream" market wants/needs in regards to camera specs. Those "very few" who have higher needs than the "mainstream" have other choices.
    01-01-13 10:16 AM
    All that matters is BB10 is coming in 29 days
    TomJasper likes this.
    01-01-13 10:20 AM
    .... And will have a user experience that will knock em dead! T minus 29
    All that matters is BB10 is coming in 29 days
    01-01-13 10:24 AM
87 ... 234