So I googled specs on the upcoming sg4. it is rumored to have quad core blah blah blah. What caught my eye were the camera specs, apparently a 13 mp front camera and 10 rear, something to that effect.. So, what came to my mind was the aristo.. . I heard the sg4 may launch in april. So, with that said, make sure that Aristo has those killer specs, to keep pace, cause you know, blackberry will hear about it.....
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    12-30-12 10:27 AM
    I think Thorsten Heins is a little more aware than any of us are in regards to what's happening in the industry... At the very least, he knows how to do a Google search.
    12-30-12 10:35 AM
    Move along Thorsten, nothing to see here...
    12-30-12 10:36 AM
    Here we go again with the specs...just because the numbers are higher does not make it better. This has been proven from multiple phones and camera across the board.
    12-30-12 10:36 AM
    Frankly I think the megapixel race is a bit ridiculous. Ask any professional photographer and they'll tell you the only reason you could ever need more than 5 or 6 megapixels is for big prints, and doubt too many people plan to print poster-size photos from their phones. Lens quality is what really matters, and although I'm not a huge fan of the iPhone, I have to admit that Apple has done a phenomenal job with the lens on the iPhone 5. I'm hoping RIM can pull off some good lenses for BB10 as well.
    12-30-12 10:39 AM
    So I googled specs on the upcoming sg4. it is rumored to have quad core blah blah blah. What caught my eye were the camera specs, apparently a 13 mp front camera and 10 rear, something to that effect.. So, what came to my mind was the aristo.. . I heard the sg4 may launch in april. So, with that said, make sure that Aristo has those killer specs, to keep pace, cause you know, blackberry will hear about it.....
    I know there are folks that buy on specs. And "better" specs makes for easier selling when comparing. But I just don't see available data speeds that can make use of 10-13 megapixel images. Even for print at say a photo kiosk; those are some large files.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-30-12 10:41 AM
    Anyone buying a phone to take professional pictures like a high-end dSLR is not a professional. An 8MP camera without a lot of noise is more than enough for 99% of users on the market.

For the record, Thorsten Heins keeps a Samsung Galaxy in his pocket.
    Neely2005, jesse_h and sputneek like this.
    12-30-12 10:53 AM
    Never understand why users somehow think that the "Bleeding Edge' in specs is so important..... it is a combination of specs and OS that sums up a users experience.... the best example is IOS... I have 1st gerneration Ipad and an Ipad 3..... there is an ever so slight speed difference in between them.... but on a whole work identical... ( At least in the Apps I run ).... the hardware specs are defiinately better on hte Ipad 3 but because the IOS is engineered for cross hardware comaptibilty IOS runs pretty much the same on all devices.... Give me an efficient OS on mid level hardware versus "state of the art" hardware with a less efficent OS any day of the week... Just look at the difference between Vista and Windows.... all this being said... specs do matter more in marketing... many users want the latest and greatest in hardware..... this is the fine line RIM has to walk to have a successful BB10 lauch....
    thedark722 likes this.
    12-30-12 11:06 AM
    For the record, Thorsten Heins keeps a Samsung Galaxy in his pocket.
    And I'm glad he does, otherwise he'd continue the legacy of being completely oblivious to the competition demonstrated during the final days of Lazaridis and Balsillie.
    12-30-12 11:06 AM
    The s3 is already an amazing phone, so if you keep beefing it up, it can only get better.
    12-30-12 11:17 AM
    Never understand why users somehow think that the "Bleeding Edge' in specs is so important.....
    It is the idea that you are "future-proofing" your device. Valid in some cases (such as ordering extra RAM on PCs). To me it is rarely worth it. I'd rather buy what just WAS the best spec'ed device, not what is.
    12-30-12 11:30 AM
    QNX is the best spec period.
    12-30-12 11:32 AM
    Frankly I think the megapixel race is a bit ridiculous. Ask any professional photographer and they'll tell you the only reason you could ever need more than 5 or 6 megapixels is for big prints, and doubt too many people plan to print poster-size photos from their phones. Lens quality is what really matters, and although I'm not a huge fan of the iPhone, I have to admit that Apple has done a phenomenal job with the lens on the iPhone 5. I'm hoping RIM can pull off some good lenses for BB10 as well.
    Pretty much what I was going to say. Folks want these big pixel count imagers, but then complain about low light image quality. Hello.....?? Cram 13 million pixels on these tiny phone camera imagers, and you kill the image quality. Image quality is in the glass, not the pixel count of the image sensor.
    jakie55 and sputneek like this.
    12-30-12 11:32 AM
    RIM will not get into a spec race with Samsung or anyone for that matter. BlackBerry10 is gonna sell off its OS not its hardware. Its gonna be something refreshing. A different and better way to use a smartphone Samsung can out hardware anyone. They have it like that. BlackBerry10 and Android are totally different were as Android just is not as efficient and it needs the beefed up hardware.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    sputneek likes this.
    12-30-12 11:35 AM
    Why is it so hard for any of you to understand specs sell?? For everything!! People think that a higher number means a better product. THAT sells. It doesnt matter what it really can do. People dont care.

If RIM wants to sell phones they should work on a crazy spec'd out device. And i pray to god RIM does not sell curve similar BB10 products here in North America. That is what brough RIM down. They need 1 or 2 flagship and keep it that way!!!
    xiaohuaxing, Djlatino and sputneek like this.
    12-30-12 11:51 AM
    Hey Buddy, don't be fooled by the megapixel race.

I bet you my D700 (now deemed as a legendary 12Mp DSLR) can beat the **** out of any camera phone in the next 300 years
    12-30-12 12:02 PM
    [QUOTE=Tank1978;7812901]So I googled specs on the upcoming sg4. it is rumored to have quad core blah blah blah. What caught my eye were the camera specs, apparently a 13 mp front camera and 10 rear, something to that effect.. So, what came to my mind was the aristo.. . I heard the sg4 may launch in april. So, with that said, make sure that Aristo has those killer specs, to keep pace, cause you know, blackberry will hear about it.....[/QUOTE

When they can squeeze full hd out of 3mp I really doubt it willl have a 13mp front facing camera haha
    sputneek likes this.
    12-30-12 12:11 PM
    I said this in another thread and I'll say it here.

Phone specs only matter if you own an android device.

There are so many variations of hardware, the only way hardware manufacturers can lure in android customers is through specs.

Also, the android os needs higher specs to run smoothly. Just look at the iphone. Argueably middle of the pack or lower in specs but the OS is fully optimized to use the hardware for a smooth and seemless experience.
    12-30-12 12:35 PM
    The MP issue is important, not for printing giant pictures, but for having zoom/crop options later on. With more MP you can zoom into small areas of pictures and blow them up with the result still being a clear picture. Lower MP counts don't allow this as there aren't enough pixels to work with.
    brianatbb and Im Mo Green like this.
    12-30-12 12:39 PM
    People keep saying "specs don't matter it's the OS that makes a difference" BUT that's not exactly true.

Specs do make a difference because when an average person looks at which phone to buy, that person goes "That phone was 8MP and this has 5MP" and as you can imagine, that 8MP phone will look better.

RIM will need to match or at least come close to the specs of SG4.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    12-30-12 12:50 PM
    Higher megapixel counts don't equate to better pictures. The quality of the image sensor and the camera lens both are of greater importance any longer.
    Jonesy1966 and Bobcat665 like this.
    12-30-12 12:53 PM
    The MP issue is important, not for printing giant pictures, but for having zoom/crop options later on. With more MP you can zoom into small areas of pictures and blow them up with the result still being a clear picture. Lower MP counts don't allow this as there aren't enough pixels to work with.
    You are pretty much trying to defend the case of digital zoom.

What important is to have more megapixels when what you have in front are optics that will not give you the results you expect when cropping?

The next step in camera phones will be to add optical zoom.
    ubizmo and Bobcat665 like this.
    12-30-12 12:57 PM
    People keep saying "specs don't matter it's the OS that makes a difference" BUT that's not exactly true.

Specs do make a difference because when an average person looks at which phone to buy, that person goes "That phone was 8MP and this has 5MP" and as you can imagine, that 8MP phone will look better.

RIM will need to match or at least come close to the specs of SG4.
    Than you have your people who say I bought that 8mp and it was worse than my 5mp. The OS does not make a difference but the actual camera software which has been proven over and over again on countless sites...even on this one. Rim will never be able to match Samsung or come out close to their specs and if that is what you want than you need to go android. RIM makes phones and runs a mobile service. Samsung makes EVERYTHING else! Their R&D budget allows them to do this which I doubt RIM can come close to what Samsung can.
    12-30-12 01:05 PM
    RIM will not get into a spec race with Samsung or anyone for that matter. BlackBerry10 is gonna sell off its OS not its hardware. Its gonna be something refreshing. A different and better way to use a smartphone Samsung can out hardware anyone. They have it like that. BlackBerry10 and Android are totally different were as Android just is not as efficient and it needs the beefed up hardware.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    Agreed, plus specs are the only way Samsung can add value or differentiate their products. They have no control of the OS specs.
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-30-12 01:14 PM
    You are pretty much trying to defend the case of digital zoom.

What important is to have more megapixels when what you have in front are optics that will not give you the results you expect when cropping?

The next step in camera phones will be to add optical zoom.
    Optical zoom is the best option without doubt, except not in the application I'm talking about. Great optical zoom with low pixel count won't help either if you didn't zoom enough when you took the picture.

I'm talking about a situation where you have a picture you took in the past and want to blow up a small piece of it after the fact. For instance a family portrait and you want an 8x10 of one of the faces alone. With low MP count it can't be done. With higher MP count you have much more flexibility.
    12-30-12 01:20 PM
87 123 ...