Talking about shooting yourself in the foot..

AT&T and Others Announcing Rival to Apple App Store
    02-15-10 11:13 AM
    How is it shooting themselves in the foot? If you want iphone content you HAVE to get it from the Apple App Store.

This is probably for dumbphones that run Java and use Java apps.
    02-15-10 11:48 AM
    i dont think they are rivaling, maybe just giving more options to the consumers thats all. equals to more $$$.
    02-15-10 11:51 AM
    Shooting themselves in the foot? Hardly.

It is actually a pretty smart idea to create a "one-stop shop" for applications
    regardless of device, OS or platform. Seems like a sound idea to me.
    02-15-10 11:52 AM
    How is it shooting themselves in the foot? If you want iphone content you HAVE to get it from the Apple App Store.

and if you were Apple..would you be all for ATT to help the competition by having apps easily availalble and most likely promoting it? Any dollar taken away and not going into the itune store is a rival.
    Last edited by hudss; 02-15-10 at 11:56 AM.
    02-15-10 11:53 AM
    If they already have a different phone then who's it hurting? If they dont have an iphone then they dont, period. If they have a phone and want a Java app its not affecting Apple what so ever. Its not like the apps are the same quality anyways.

It doesnt mean the apps are better or that there is more content, theyre just there for the consumer so ATT makes $$$.
    02-15-10 11:55 AM
    Apple's deal with AT&T did not say "You will support and promote iPhone above all other devices to the extent that you will exclude them entirely." This is just normal business.
    02-15-10 11:59 AM
    If they already have a different phone then who's it hurting? If they dont have an iphone then they dont, period. If they have a phone and want a Java app its not affecting Apple what so ever. Its not like the apps are the same quality anyways.

It doesnt mean the apps are better or that there is more content, theyre just there for the consumer so ATT makes $$$.
    Anyone ever take a business course here? The reason you see those apple ads like "we have an app for that"..etc..Well it's not for owners already with an iPhone... You see what Apple would like to do is pursuade others to change their phones and buy the iPhone...it kind of keeps them in business.

Now I know you're not going to believe this..but the average iPhone user (or BB user)..well they don't know jack about the difference with java apps jailbreaking etc.. They just know If they have an app that does it already on their phone why switch? so why have ATT make it simpler for them to download.
    02-15-10 12:10 PM
    Talking about shooting yourself in the foot..

AT&T and Others Announcing Rival to Apple App Store
    I'm not sure what AT&T did to prompt your conclusion. In the body of the article it clearly states that the app store will benefit phones other than the iPhone.

Straight from the article:

Twelve of the world�s biggest phone networks � including AT&T, Orange and Telefonica � will announce their rival technology tomorrow to Apple�s App Store. The combined audience for the app platform will be 2 billion customers. Phone manufacturers Samsung, LG and Sony Ericsson are also part of the alliance.
    02-15-10 12:12 PM
    Anyone ever take a business course here? The reason you see those apple ads like "we have an app for that"..etc..Well it's not for owners already with an iPhone... You see what Apple would like to do is pursuade others to change their phones and buy the iPhone...it kind of keeps them in business.

Now I know you're not going to believe this..but the average iPhone user (or BB user)..well they don't know jack about the difference with java apps jailbreaking etc.. They just know If they have an app that does it already on their phone why switch? so why have ATT make it simpler for them to download.
    The question is did you take one? They cant just neglect the other oh say 60-70% of ATT customers to focus on the iphone. The majority of ATT users still own other phones other than Apple devices. They cant just not support them. Business 101 says they can make money off this huge other customer base by selling Java apps to them.

Apple is NOT ATT's ONLY business deal out there that needs attention despite the hype it gets.
    02-15-10 12:18 PM
    Well if AT&T and others don't do this, then someone else will, or I guess has already.
    02-15-10 12:19 PM

+1

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

02-17-10 12:20 AM
    +1

That's my thought exactly
    02-17-10 02:27 AM
    If you can't keep 'em fight 'em.
    02-17-10 03:57 PM
    ^ true dat