Is this true?

If it is, is t-mobile the only guys left who don't?
    10-08-09 10:51 PM
    yep.. get a BB and they will shove a $30 per month data plan
    plain n simple..
    10-08-09 10:54 PM
    Well I see that it is not a bad thing about getting the bis *blackberry internet service* because in all actuality, the bb is just a cell phone with out a data plan and if you don't want the data plan, then just get a dumb phone like a motorola razr or something on those lines!

Cheers,
    Charlie
    10-08-09 11:01 PM
    Simple, don't buy from AT&T. Buy used or unlocked.
    But why wouldn't you want a data plan? CrippleBerries suck....
    10-08-09 11:21 PM
    Every carrier does it now t mobile started enforcing this june 6th but for tmo its only 25 the internet is well worth it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 11:53 PM
    i know that AT&T began making new contracts carry data plans as of sep.6. as for existing contracts, i heard that you could be "grandfathered" in without a data plan if you had a BB on your line before oct. 31. and that after oct.31, they would add the plan to anyone adding a BB on their line; regardless if you got the phone from AT&T or ebay/used. that being said, the terms of use on their website says that if AT&T determines you to be using a smartphone/pda, that they can add the data plan to your contract(of course, it mentions no definite date). don't know how much thats worth to you, could be malarky. it just seems tough to swallow, that they could force that on you if you never signed a contract accepting the terms. thats my 2 cents, anyway.
    10-08-09 11:55 PM
    this will be a good way for anyone that wants out of their 2 year contract! this will get you off the hook at no charge!
    10-08-09 11:57 PM
    Hello all, well apparently this is true, my sis works for att wirless and was informed that there will be a mandatory data charge if they have a BB or pda phone.
    10-09-09 12:08 AM
    if the phone is unlocked, will they recognize the blackberry and charge anyway?
    10-09-09 12:10 AM
    this will be a good way for anyone that wants out of their 2 year contract! this will get you off the hook at no charge!
    Please do not spread false information. They aren't adding it to those who have a BlackBerry and/or PDA without a data plan prior to 9-6 (I believe this was the date).
    10-09-09 12:19 AM
    You guys are just talking about being forced to take on a data plan to get the subsidized price, right? Rogers has been doing that up here forever.
    10-09-09 12:39 AM
    It's more-or-less impossible to stop you from using your smartphone just as a phone...
    10-09-09 12:40 AM
    Lol well they surely cannot force you if you are already in a contract without giving you an out of your contract because its a breach so if they are forcing, I'd expect to see many people heading on over to the Magenta! Also, I still have friends calling and texting only on smartphones as we speak for what its worth.

10-09-09 04:44 AM
    There must be someone, somewhere fighting this in court!
    Say I just like my Curve as a quick messaging phone and PDA. Why can't I do that?
    That HAS to be an Anti-Trust thing.... especially if EVERYONE is doing it...
    10-09-09 08:01 AM
    i've heard folks say that every carrier charges for data now. if thats true, then cellular south has GOT to be the cheapest out there. $50 a month gets unlimited data, unlimited text, unlimited calls to other cell south customers, and 500 minutes a month to other numbers. they do have some cons to the plan though; no free MMS, no rollover minutes, and no free nights and weekends, and phone selection is only an 8330 or a pearl flip.

even still, if i weren't on a family plan with AT&T, that's where i'd be. AT&T individual plan is easily over $100.
    10-09-09 08:56 AM
    A lot of regional providers have better plans than the national providers.
    10-09-09 10:05 AM
    T-Mobile has two blackberries that DO NOT require data (according to their website). The Pearl 8120 and Pearl Flip still do not require data. All other smartphones require data (including android devices).

I understand the want for a Berry and not want the data...it's an age old question. I want the PDA and QWERTY keyboard of the Berry but no data. I have used a Blackberry both ways, and must agree that the data is a must now that I've experienced it. But for some people when the choice of phones is a Curve or a Blitz from Verizon for a QWERTY device, people want the Curve. Yes, I know Verizon has more but some people don't want a clamshell phone but still want the QWERTY keyboard.
    10-09-09 10:17 AM
    Well, I have an 8820 for work.

I bought the new Curve for play. Bought it for music, text, and wi-fi. Don't need the data when I have another one with it. Just needed a second line independent of work.

I signed up in August. Sounds like I am in the clear. Can't see how they can't almost double my bill (50>80) without letting me out of the contract.

I got the phone at Best Buy.
    10-09-09 11:23 AM
    Well I see that it is not a bad thing about getting the bis *blackberry internet service* because in all actuality, the bb is just a cell phone with out a data plan and if you don't want the data plan, then just get a dumb phone like a motorola razr or something on those lines!

Cheers,
    Charlie
    so u mean to say one shouldnt buy a pc if he doesnt use internet? PC=internet huh?
    10-09-09 11:46 AM
    Yeah, I understand the desire to have the BB w/o data as well...my wife has a BB on AT&T w/o data (grandfathered in) because she likes the ease of scheduling, messaging, among other functions. I can see why some would prefer this...however, with all of the current phones being Wi-Fi capable, doesn't that let people get around using the carrier's network for data? Can't they just grab a wi-fi signal w/o the carrier's blessing? Of course they would tighten this up...
    10-09-09 11:47 AM
    You guys are just talking about being forced to take on a data plan to get the subsidized price, right? Rogers has been doing that up here forever.
    rogers did it forever thats a good thing. att didnt do that, and their reps and store reps kept selling bb saying that if u get the att bb u will be free to take the data and drop the data anytime u want.. people got trapped in their sweet talk.. and then att made data mandatory but didnt allow those who had data before sep 6 to remove data if they wanted.. do u think its a honest bussiness practice by any means?
    10-09-09 11:50 AM
    so u mean to say one shouldnt buy a pc if he doesnt use internet? PC=internet huh?
    That's a VERY flawed analogy my friend...

The BlackBerry is built from the ground up to BE a mobile internet communications platform. That IS what it is. BIS/BES. e-mail.
    Yeah it can do a few other things, but you're ignoring 95% of what it can do. Without a data plan, it's basically a quick messaging phone, and those can be had for a lot less.

PC's are built from the ground up to be multi/general purpose machines. They are designed to be reconfigured to meet any needs you may have, from graphics workstation, to web server, to word processor, or even a PVR.
    Last edited by smnc; 10-09-09 at 12:04 PM.
    10-09-09 11:54 AM
    rogers did it forever thats a good thing. att didnt do that, and their reps and store reps kept selling bb saying that if u get the att bb u will be free to take the data and drop the data anytime u want.. people got trapped in their sweet talk.. and then att made data mandatory but didnt allow those who had data before sep 6 to remove data if they wanted.. do u think its a honest bussiness practice by any means?
    Yeah. You can buy a Rogers phone without a data plan if you want, but you pay almost full price.
    A Bold, for instance, can be had for $249 on a 3yr contract if you have a voice and data plan. On a voice-only plan, it will set you back $549 on a 3yr contract. And the no contract price is $649.

So you have the option, but they're not paying a huge subsidy if you're not paying for data.

And BTW, with Rogers, voice + data starts @ $45 (e-mail and IM only data plan)
    10-09-09 12:03 PM
    Lol well they surely cannot force you if you are already in a contract without giving you an out of your contract because its a breach so if they are forcing, I'd expect to see many people heading on over to the Magenta! Also, I still have friends calling and texting only on smartphones as we speak for what its worth.

Actually, they can. If you already had a smartphone w/o data then you've been grandfathered in, but if you begin to use a smartphone and they detect the imei then the data will be automatically added. This is all printed on the front page of your bill, and has been for the last 2 months, at least.

And it isn't a breach of contract considering they wouldn't add it to anyone who previously didn't have data.
    10-09-09 12:35 PM
    Well I guess I'm lucky. My data plan is unlimited with att and grandfathered in @ 20bucks a month..

10-09-09 12:57 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD