We received a text from ATT that beginning in Feb, 2022 your 3G service will stop working. I assume the 4G phones will still work though?

My Key 2 is a 4G phone.

Comments?
    06-09-21 04:21 PM
    There's already another thread that discusses this.
    06-09-21 04:31 PM
    We received a text from ATT that beginning in Feb, 2022 your 3G service will stop working. I assume the 4G phones will still work though?

My Key 2 is a 4G phone.

Comments?
    4G/LTE is not the same as VoLTE. The KEY² is unlikely to be able to make calls or send SMS.
    06-09-21 04:42 PM
    There should be no one a 3G at the point in time.
    06-09-21 06:14 PM
    There is another thread on this exact issue. I have my Key 2 on ATT. Personally (and with no evidence whatsoever) I believe that when February comes around ATT will relent on their BS position that to use 4G on their network you cannot BYOD. But we will see. If not, I will assess the filed at the time. If I need to switch carriers, I might have no choice. Obviously, I am out of contract and can move as I see fit.

In the meantime, the official ATT line is - If you are not using an apple product or one of our phones, you will not be able to use our network in Feb '22. I have heard that multiple times, from multiple sources.
    06-10-21 10:40 AM
    There is another thread on this exact issue. I have my Key 2 on ATT. Personally (and with no evidence whatsoever) I believe that when February comes around ATT will relent on their BS position that to use 4G on their network you cannot BYOD. But we will see. If not, I will assess the filed at the time. If I need to switch carriers, I might have no choice. Obviously, I am out of contract and can move as I see fit.
    AT&T has been consistent on its BYOD policy regarding advanced features for a decade.

I don't think they will relent now - particularly when it affects so few people.
    06-10-21 10:42 AM
    AT&T has been consistent on its BYOD policy regarding advanced features for a decade.

I am aware of that. But we will see. I understand very well that to use a phone of my choice I might have to move. But again, we will see.
    06-10-21 10:43 AM
    I am aware of that. But we will see. I understand very well that to use a phone of my choice I might have to move. But again, we will see.
    Some are already seeing...
    Yesterday 07:17 AM
    4G/LTE is not the same as VoLTE. The KEY² is unlikely to be able to make calls or send SMS.
    AT&T said (as recently as last night) that they -think- the Key2 uses the 3G VOICE network -- but transmits data at 4G. Can anyone confirm or deny?
    (I haven't had time to look at the manual -- and you can't tell from the settings.)

They will provide one of three phones for free: The AT&T Radiant Core and the AT&T Cingular Flip 4 -- both cheap (under $100 each) and also the Apple iPhone Special Edition 2020 (which came out just before the iPhone 11) with 64 MB. (Higher MB devices are available for a slight actual
    cost/month).

They also said that the Blackberry Key One and the Blackberry PRIV phones WILL work on their new network.

What puzzles me is why would older Blackberry phones work when the Key2 (when released) was announced as being the most technologically advanced phone ever (in the Blackberry line). Can anyone answer that question for me? Thanks!
    Yesterday 08:58 AM
    AT&T said (as recently as last night) that they -think- the Key2 uses the 3G VOICE network -- but transmits data at 4G.
    This is exactly what I and many others have been saying.

And that's ONLY because AT&T does not allow advanced features (VoLTE) on many BYOD devices - like the KEY².
    Yesterday 10:06 AM
    This is exactly what I and many others have been saying.

And that's ONLY because AT&T does not allow advanced features (VoLTE) on many BYOD devices - like the KEY².
    Thank you. So for clarity since I am new to this discussion group -- what you are saying is that the phone does in fact have the advanced features required to operate on this new network but when the phone says to the network "I'm here and I can function" -- the new network will say "Who do you think you are? And ignore the phone."
    Yesterday 10:13 AM
    Thank you. So for clarity since I am new to this discussion group -- what you are saying is that the phone does in fact have the advanced features required to operate on this new network but when the phone says to the network "I'm here and I can function" -- the new network will say "Who do you think you are? And ignore the phone."
    The KEY devices have the capability, but AT&T won't allow it.

You will likely have better luck with TMO.
    Yesterday 10:49 AM
    The feature has to be provisioned for that specific device for any device to use VoLTE.

AT&T doesn’t provision this feature for phones that they do not support. They never have.
    Yesterday 10:53 AM
    AT&T said (as recently as last night) that they -think- the Key2 uses the 3G VOICE network -- but transmits data at 4G. Can anyone confirm or deny?
    (I haven't had time to look at the manual -- and you can't tell from the settings.)

They will provide one of three phones for free: The AT&T Radiant Core and the AT&T Cingular Flip 4 -- both cheap (under $100 each) and also the Apple iPhone Special Edition 2020 (which came out just before the iPhone 11) with 64 MB. (Higher MB devices are available for a slight actual
    cost/month).

They also said that the Blackberry Key One and the Blackberry PRIV phones WILL work on their new network.

What puzzles me is why would older Blackberry phones work when the Key2 (when released) was announced as being the most technologically advanced phone ever (in the Blackberry line). Can anyone answer that question for me? Thanks!
    The carrier locked and sold AT&T PRIV and AT&T KEYone are the specific ones referred to not any factory unlocked versions.
    Yesterday 01:38 PM