Hey Guys,

Since I've been on the forums quite a bit tonight, I figured I'd start this thread here vs. write a blog post (too tired to attempt writing a blog post right now!). You can read it and I'm sure word will spread to those interested. And you'll know where you read it first.

As you know, we always try to post stuff as soon as we have it, assuming it's coming from sources we think/know are reliable. We never post/talk about things at lip service, but at the same time if we know for fact our source is in the know then we put some trust into what we're hearing. So sometimes we get it right, sometimes we screw it up, and others time we land somewhere in the middle. Happens to everybody a bit. We're not really even in the rumor game, but when info comes to us we just try our best to get it out there, and I know you all always want to hear every bit of info, right?

Seems a good night to update a few past rumors/things:

Atomic Trackball: So we first mentioned this a LONGGGG time ago (I think on a crackberry podcast and it was another blog who listened to our podcast and actually got it up on the web). Was very early goings on of "trackball 2" rumor mill when we talked about it then. It's real, and it's coming on the Gemini first, but don't think atomic trackball (either that's what it was called back in the day or our source just heard the name wrong and it really perpetuated from there), but think OPTICAL trackball. I don't know if OPTICAL trackball is what it'll ultimately be called (RIM might give it some marketing name like SureTrack or something), but the important part of the matter is:

- IT HAS NO MOVABLE PARTS. There's no ball to scroll around and collect dust in or jam up. Think mini laptop trackpad. But more optical then physical touch/slide ya know. It has a little chrome band around the area, and then it's the pad. Very slick/modern looking. Can't comment on usage at this point (hopefully somebody reading this can). Pretty crazy - at some point in the future gone may be the days of the trackball I guess. Hopefully the implementation is smoooth to use. I have faith in RIM nailing it.

Gemini: From what I've seen so far (no, don't have one....yet, but have a much better impression of it these days than I did previously), it's actually a pretty nice looking device. Definitely better than what we've seen so far in terms of visuals that have surfaced. As for the interchangeable face plates rumor that we made mention of before (we had like three different sources send that), I don't think that's quite the full story. The front of the device sort of has more of a glassy piece surrounding the screen/buttons. In the leaked black/white photo before it definitely gave that appearance of being interchangeable (having heard that prior), but I'd say it doesn't look that way to me now. Also, it looks like the back of the phone has a more rubberized look/feel to it. I still think there's a bit more than meets the eye here, as we heard it from multiple sources up front, but it kinda to me looks not to the be case, so will leave it at that till more photos/images/hands-ons surface and we know for sure (hopefully sooner than later!). Also cool is that the top of the phone has dedicated media keys for play/pause/next/previous. Definitely media focused.

Other Fun: A fun past time of any website administrator is to check out what web browsers are visiting the site. I took a stroll through those stats earlier tonight, and among basically every known/for sale device browser being listed, were a couple of the rumored ones... BlackBerry 8520 and BlackBerryonyx. Image of partial browser list attached. I'm surprised how many 9630s are viewing this site now too... makes you wish they'd just announce the thing already... hard to believe RIM hasn't officially acknlowedged it yet.

OK, that's it. Had to go Go-Karting earlier tonight for a friend's bday and the two cans of red bull has me wired and rambling. Night All!
    04-23-09 12:50 AM
    The optical trackball is an interesting idea. I wonder if we will be seeing it on any devices soon or if it is one of those things that will sit around for years to be used.

I can't wait to see the 9630 in person I plan on picking one up the day they release it.

Good post Kevin! Get some sleep!
    04-23-09 12:57 AM
    I'm trying to understand this atomic trackball sort of thing. When we think optical mouse, it's basically a small red light flashing?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 12:58 AM
    you'll be seeing the optical trackball soon.. on the gemini. and gemini will be going into production runs fairly soon too. just a matter of time before more photos/info emerge on it. actually impressed it's been kept as quiet as it has. i guess we should probably start a new device forum for it on this site pretty soon.
    04-23-09 01:01 AM
    Kev- Is the atomic/optical trackball any bigger than the current physical trackballs?
    04-23-09 01:09 AM
    Any idea if the Gemini is going to be CDMA or GSM? I know its a long shot but I'm guessing you probably have a hunch.

Loving the title by the way (shouldn't you be sleeping?)
    04-23-09 01:11 AM
    i'd say it takes up a similar amount of real estate on the device as a trackball.. more squared off though so probably a little more actual space required. think of it as sensor you're moving your thumb over (akin to how a trackball works but without the rolling action required). Same user feeling/interaction but with no moving parts.

re: CDMA or GSM. I'd assume GSM to start, with time maybe CDMA...though maybe not. Gemini is kinda old school radio technology (so far right...rumors to date have talked 2G/edge), but who knows..wouldn't be suprised if they'd do it up later as an update to the 8330 line.

k..can't see straight. got up at 5:30am this morning and it's after 1am here. getting old.. need my beauty sleep.
    04-23-09 01:15 AM
    Sounds intersting indeed. Why not just make it a storm 2 while they are at it.

04-23-09 01:17 AM
    whats the Onyx like?
    so we have Gemini, Magnum, Onyx, and Driftwood eh?
    04-23-09 10:51 AM
    Dang..I was hoping to see 9520 in that list
    04-23-09 12:46 PM
    beauty sleep, I think most of us on here need it
    Anyway, This idea for a optical trackball is a GREAT idea. If there is anything i break more is the trackball. As a fireman, Lets just say i'm not very nice to my phones.

Woody
    04-23-09 02:19 PM
    I don't know even know the name for this device anymore. But heard there's the 9300 production soon. Kevin you should remember our conversation about it.
    04-23-09 02:46 PM
    sounds like blackberry is on the track of making some great smart phones. Can't wait to hear more of this.
    04-23-09 03:22 PM
    the samsung epix has a optical mouse pad on it. im guessin its like that.
    04-23-09 03:33 PM
    I can't wait until they retire the mechanical trackball...
    04-23-09 03:34 PM
    Wow, I was thinking the new trackball would be like that . Thanks for clearing it up Kevin. Sounds good to me.
    04-23-09 04:38 PM
    I wonder if the optical trackball is anything like the squircle on the Zune. It pretty much reads your finger movement over the surface, and you can click on it to select.

I like the idea of no moving parts (ball rolling). I would think it would still need to "click" for selecting things, so not 100% non-moving, just no rolling.
    04-23-09 04:41 PM
    And for the 9300. He said it was the Gemini (not to sure on that) but he did say that it had that touch pad, and production soon. So my info and Kevin's seems similar.
    04-23-09 04:42 PM
    I wonder if the optical trackball is anything like the squircle on the Zune. It pretty much reads your finger movement over the surface, and you can click on it to select.

I like the idea of no moving parts (ball rolling). I would think it would still need to "click" for selecting things, so not 100% non-moving, just no rolling.
    Not necessarily, think along the lines of an Apple Macbook. In case you've never used one, basically you move your fingers around the touchpad, and when you want to select what the curser is on, just give the touch pad a quick tap, no moving parts. RIM could be doing something similar instead of using that one moving part.

04-24-09 12:02 PM
    Hopfully it has more than just a standard touchpad. I hate touchpads on my latops. I would be typing and my palm would brush the touchpad and the cursor would move somewhere else on the page - really messed up some code typing that way.

I would think there would be some sort of way tomake it more secure than just a light "tap" on the pad. You wouldn't want to be clicking things with your phone in your pocket. You enver know what might get clicked on.
    04-24-09 02:35 PM
    they should just do a touch screen like the storm without surepress and have a standard keyboard. It would free up some space and make it so the screen could be a little bigger as well, swith some design adjustments. A touch pad would be kinda cool though.
    04-24-09 04:08 PM
    Assuming that the optical track ball is more like the trio of samsung phones that currently have the optical mouse apposed to being like the pad on a mac book, I'll be looking forward to it.
    After messing with the epix and saga the only thing I really liked about them was the optical mouse. I really like it! So much I almost picked up a saga for kicks. Not to replace my BB of course.

04-24-09 07:44 PM
    If it is anything like the mac pro it will be a major success , if it is like the omni , it will be a huge bummer.
    04-26-09 11:55 PM
    Kev has said that it will be OPTICAL which means that it will not be just a touch pad. It will have some form of a light sensor
    04-27-09 12:00 AM
    Kev has said that it will be OPTICAL which means that it will not be just a touch pad. It will have some form of a light sensor
    OK thats great and all, but the mac pro isnt just a touch pad , its like the storm screen....... and in regards to the "light sensor" thats the same as the omnia , which sucked .
    04-27-09 12:14 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD