I stopped into one of I think 3 stores at ATL (might be 2) and the sales guy said all the stores at ATL are closing. He said he hasn't sold a phone in a month. Just sells cables chargers and screen protectors. Said his sales for the day were $9.00. Really sad but the store employees even say it is a dead issue. Really sad but I'll stick with my BB till it stops working and I will give BB10 a try.
    08-10-12 11:45 PM
    I dropped by the store in the Char. NC airport. It was their last day open. They were having a sale, so the sign said.

I can now see why. They wanted $99 for one 16 meg SD card!
    I don't care if it was in an airport or not. That is way out of line.

Also no one entered the dtore while I was there.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    08-21-12 10:17 AM
    the stores were not RIM owned though it was a partnership with Wireless Giant. It is very possible that the decision to close did not come from RIM.
    08-21-12 10:19 AM
    I always stopped by those stores when I had the time (I fly every week), but in 3 years I did not buy a single thing. They were simply too overpriced. Must have been banking on the assumed fact that potential customers did not have enough time between flights to realize that they were being robbed.
    08-21-12 10:22 AM
    The whole concept of the Airport store is flawed IMHO. You can't get into an Airport Terminal without tickets anymore (at least in the US), and I try to keep my time in terminals to a minimum when traveling. RIM needs to come out with some competent marketing and retail strategies for the US because all their efforts to date on both fronts have been very poor!
    08-21-12 10:55 AM
    The whole concept of the Airport store is flawed IMHO. You can't get into an Airport Terminal without tickets anymore (at least in the US), and I try to keep my time in terminals to a minimum when traveling. RIM needs to come out with some competent marketing and retail strategies for the US because all their efforts to date on both fronts have been very poor!
    Their store in Michigan was not successful either and it isn't in an airport.
    08-21-12 11:29 AM
    someone please lock this thread...
    08-21-12 02:22 PM
    I always stopped by those stores when I had the time (I fly every week), but in 3 years I did not buy a single thing. They were simply too overpriced. Must have been banking on the assumed fact that potential customers did not have enough time between flights to realize that they were being robbed.
    I find pretty much EVERYTHING in airports is over priced. I presume that's because of high rent to the store owners plus the whole captive audience with limited choices and time combination.
    08-21-12 02:29 PM
    Agree all points, BUT I think the recently launched 5 week carrier tour Thosten Heins and crew have embarked on is the correct beginning for the new marketing strategy as it's very important to have the carriers onside as they're the ones who do most of the marketing.

Can't wait to see where this all goes.
    08-21-12 02:34 PM
    Why? This news bother you?
    08-21-12 07:00 PM
    Why? This news bother you?
    no because this isnt news. besides, RIM already announced their closing their retail fronts. next...
    08-21-12 07:25 PM
    Seems to me this is just another in a very long line of stupid, asinine decisions made by senior management. Opening retail stores in airports?! It's like someone is intentionally setting fire to their money.
    08-21-12 11:32 PM

Why? Why? Why?

Seems ok to me. Don't look if you can't stand the view.

Move along.

Tim

jegs2 likes this.
    08-22-12 06:43 AM
    Why? Why? Why?

Seems ok to me. Don't look if you can't stand the view.

Move along.

Tim

how about you read my respond to other member. here let me help you...
    no because this isnt news. besides, RIM already announced their closing their retail fronts. next...
    08-22-12 07:19 PM
    how about you read my respond to other member. here let me help you...

How kind of you, but I have already read it.

Geesh...

Tim

08-22-12 09:32 PM
    ^^^lol at least were good on that.
    08-23-12 01:00 AM
    I'm sure a Apple store in any airport (not sure if they have any now) would be successful.

RIM is in a bad place now. Not to beat a dead horse but they should have just stayed with what they do best - e-mail on the phone and not try to chase Apple or Android (consumer market). It all started going down hill with the release of the Storm.....

Oh well.....they had their moment and those who think BB 10 is the saving grace - I have some land for you in Florida Do you all think everyone with a Apple or Android device is going to flock over to BB 10? Really?..... Current BB users yes/maybe but that's a small number.

Cheers
    Last edited by Rob1; 08-23-12 at 12:32 PM.
    phonejunky likes this.
    08-23-12 06:36 AM
    I'm sure a Apple store in any airport (not sure if they have any now) would be successful.

RIM is in a bad place now. Not to beat a dad horse but they should have just stayed with what they do best - e-mail on the phone and not try to chase Apple or Android (consumer market). It all started going down hill with the release of the Storm.....

Oh well.....they had their moment and those who think BB 10 is the saving grace - I have some land for you in Florida Do you all think everyone with a Apple or Android device is going to flock over to BB 10? Really?..... Current BB users yes/maybe but that's a small number.

Cheers

That's what Jim and Mike thought and did for the past three years. Folks only need email. They don't need mp3 players and cameras. That worked out well for RIM didn't it? NOT!

Dinosaurs still roam the earth.

Tim

08-23-12 07:28 AM
    Their store in Michigan was not successful either and it isn't in an airport.
    Judging by the unemployment rate in Michigan, I'd say that Michigan not being successful could play at least a small part in the store there failing. If you were going to put a Blackberry Store anywhere in the US then the DC Metro area would make the most sense given the amount of Blackberry phones in use here, or major cities. Farmington Hills, MI is not what you think of as being the place for the only Blackberry store not in an Airport in US.
    08-23-12 11:59 AM
    Not to beat a dad horse but
    Perhaps you should go beat the mom horse over at iMore.com!
    08-23-12 12:02 PM
    Judging by the unemployment rate in Michigan, I'd say that Michigan not being successful could play at least a small part in the store there failing. If you were going to put a Blackberry Store anywhere in the US then the DC Metro area would make the most sense given the amount of Blackberry phones in use here, or major cities. Farmington Hills, MI is not what you think of as being the place for the only Blackberry store not in an Airport in US.
    Any rust belt city would have been a bad location. I have no idea what they were thinking when the selected a suburb of Detroit.

DC or NYC would have been a better location.
    08-23-12 12:03 PM
    RIM has a way of making people scratch their head. P&G must love them.
    08-23-12 12:15 PM
    Any rust belt city would have been a bad location. I have no idea what they were thinking when the selected a suburb of Detroit.

DC or NYC would have been a better location.
    I wouldn't even think NYC would be a good location that is Apple heaven next to Cupertino itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-23-12 12:19 PM
    perhaps you should go beat the mom horse over at imore.com!
    lol .........
    08-23-12 12:33 PM
    That's what Jim and Mike thought and did for the past three years. Folks only need email. They don't need mp3 players and cameras. That worked out well for RIM didn't it? NOT!

Dinosaurs still roam the earth.

Tim

Very True!...
    08-23-12 12:33 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD