So yesterday my stupid self decide to put my blackberry curve into a holster that was falling apart. So as I'm walking through the train station it was really crowded and then there was a couple pushing to move the lines quicker I guess. So when I get on the train station i notice my belt was a little loose and my holster with blackberry curve in it was missing. I quickly panic and decide to get back to the train station platform where i got off to find for hope for the holster. Man i was pissed and sad at the same time because it's only been a couple of months since i first got the phone which I really like. Though luckily i have asurion insurance for the curve and i also reported to t-mobile to suspend my account incase of anything and now my question is....They want me to pay 130 to Asurion to get a blackberry curve yet i notice people on this forum got there phone for only 50 dollars. Can someone explain me why others got it for 50 dollars?
    11-26-08 05:54 PM
    Could vary depending on carrier and phone. I have Verizon, luckily haven't had to use insurance, but from what I remember being told it'd be $50 to get a phone from the insurance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-08 06:00 PM
    It all depends on how the insurance is set up with each carrier.
    They do not all have the same charge for replacement. AT&T for
    instance, you pay the $50 deductible and that's it. Other carriers
    set their own pricing.
    11-26-08 06:03 PM
    I, too, have verizon and paid $50 for a new pearl.
    11-26-08 07:16 PM
    I believe the 50 is for the phone you send back. When you file a claim you do need to send the defective phone back which gets repaired and resold as a refurb. I would figure if you lose the phone they would charge more for the replacment since they are not going to get a cutback or the defective phones resale. However this is a theory of my own and has no solid examples or being true however when I have done this before and did not send my old phone back they hit me with a massive charge about 2 months later.

11-26-08 07:25 PM
    It is $130 with T-Mobile for a Curve. They do charge more than many other carriers. Also, they recently added a warranty charge to the insurance, so supposedly there is an unlimited warranty for defects. I still need to call them to find out how that works. Anyway, I had to make a claim for a lost berry and paid the $130. They were very nice, and I had my replacement in 2 working days. The replacement was in such good shape, I'm fairly sure it was a new device and not a refurb. I was notified that T-Mobile limits us to 2 replacement phones and we must pay full price for a third replacement.

11-26-08 07:43 PM
    I believe the 50 is for the phone you send back. When you file a claim you do need to send the defective phone back which gets repaired and resold as a refurb. I would figure if you lose the phone they would charge more for the replacment since they are not going to get a cutback or the defective phones resale. However this is a theory of my own and has no solid examples or being true however when I have done this before and did not send my old phone back they hit me with a massive charge about 2 months later.
    You are wrong on a few fronts.

1) The amount charged after making a claim is the deductible.

2) Not all returned phones that get returned get refurbed or repaired. Even
    when they don't the deductible does not change.

3) In most cases insurance covers a lost phone also and again the deductible
    does not change because the carrier is not getting a phone back.

4) If your phone was not lost and you did not return it (warranty exchange)
    then yes, you should expect a massive charge. But that is spelled out in the
    warranty info and possibly in the insurance documentation also.
    11-26-08 07:44 PM
    So yesterday my stupid self decide to put my blackberry curve into a holster that was falling apart. So as I'm walking through the train station it was really crowded and then there was a couple pushing to move the lines quicker I guess. So when I get on the train station i notice my belt was a little loose and my holster with blackberry curve in it was missing. I quickly panic and decide to get back to the train station platform where i got off to find for hope for the holster. Man i was pissed and sad at the same time because it's only been a couple of months since i first got the phone which I really like. Though luckily i have asurion insurance for the curve and i also reported to t-mobile to suspend my account incase of anything and now my question is....They want me to pay 130 to Asurion to get a blackberry curve yet i notice people on this forum got there phone for only 50 dollars. Can someone explain me why others got it for 50 dollars?
    From what I've learned AT&T and T-Mobile have changed the price of the deductible. They used to charge only $50 for certain phones, and didn't even offer insurance for the rest of their phones. They have since changed that to where all their phones can have insurance, some with a higher deductible than the others. I'm not sure if Verizon does this, but I definately know AT&T and T-Mobile do this.

11-26-08 09:46 PM
    With Alltel all standard phones are 50 and all blackberries, other smartphones and high end phones are 95.

11-26-08 11:57 PM
    Sprint insurance: $50 deductible repair or replacement. 3 claims per year. $7.00 per month, cheap compared to a replacement cost of $500+
    11-27-08 12:10 AM
    Ya I have sprint and just paid 50 bucks to get a new pearl after I lost my old 1 at six flags

11-27-08 03:35 AM
    us cellular is 50.00
    11-27-08 09:03 AM
    Verizon only has a $50.00 Deductible as well.

11-27-08 09:40 AM
    Well some have dif types of insur as well! 3.99 all way up to 7.99 a month. I pay $50 for any phone through sprint on a lost or PHYSICAL damanged phone. If its with IN THE 30 day period you get a new replacemnt phone. If its with in a year and the PHONE is defective you get a refurb for free swap. But damn I'd check to see if u getting a refurb for 130 bucks wowers

Last edited by coachcurtisbusse; 11-27-08 at 08:52 PM.
    11-27-08 11:32 AM
    I recently used Asurion when my screen was scratched on my 8320. The cost was $130.00 and had a refurb the next day. I pay 5.99 a month with T Mobile for the insurance. Also, there is a six month warranty with Asurion on the replacement phone you receive.
    11-27-08 12:04 PM
    To be clear, as Froggy said, it is $5.99 a month. The deductible is a sliding scale, more for more expensive devices like BlackBerries, less for cheaper phones. The price breakdown according to TMo's website is $4.30 something for insurance, the other $1.60 something is for the warranty extension, and we're limited to 2 replacements a year.

11-27-08 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD