So I lost my Tour and called Asurion, to find out that they no longer make it. Was told they are replacing Tours with the Bold. I was OK with that.

I've had good experiences with Asurion in the past, but was disappointed to find out that they had no Bolds in stock, and I will have to wait a few days, as they are backordered. Awesome. The rep checked and told me that unfortunately the only other replacement option was the Curve 2, but that was also backordered?

I figured I'd wait for the Bold, as I have to wait regardless, but my question is, as they are out of stock currently, is it more likely that I will get a refurb or a new phone? In the past, I believe I've always gotten new phones from Asurion, as they've been in the retail box.

I asked the rep on the phone, and she wasn't much help; she said their wasn't any way she could tell at this point.

Any ideas?
    02-13-11 10:18 PM
    I think you'll get a refurb - and they do come in a retail box. That said, I've had a number of replacements over the years and have never been able to tell the difference. The 9700 I am using now is a 9700 from Assurion and is a year old. I have not had any problems with it.
    02-14-11 12:34 PM
    ive never had a problem with the asurion phones at all.... just try to get the best out of that deal, and if they're giving you the chance to "upgrade" then go ahead and take advantage of such good deal.
    02-14-11 12:53 PM
    Def wait on the Bold! Nobody really knows whether it will be refurb or not (including Assurion). Chances are that it will be though. Had the same issue with my 9550 and it only took 2 days before it was in stock. They overnited it too so the wait wasn't that bad. Comes with a 1 year warranty as well. I've had no probs with Assurion replacements.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-11 11:24 PM
    I've had replacement phones from Asurion before that were new in the retail box and a couple of refurbs/CLN phones. In my experience the refurbs are just as good as a new phone. You'll probably get a refurb. It should be fine.
    02-14-11 11:33 PM
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

So as it turns out, my phone shipped the next day after all, thankfully!

When they called me to inform me it was shipping, the rep told me she believed it was new. Turns out it is, I assume, as it came in the sealed retail box, AND it came pre-loaded with OS 6! Score!

Yay for Asurion
    02-15-11 07:19 PM
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

So as it turns out, my phone shipped the next day after all, thankfully!

When they called me to inform me it was shipping, the rep told me she believed it was new. Turns out it is, I assume, as it came in the sealed retail box, AND it came pre-loaded with OS 6! Score!

Yay for Asurion
    So I assumed you got Bold 9780 and not 9700?
    02-15-11 07:46 PM
    As a BlackBerry owner yes done well. Educate users.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-11 04:01 AM
    So I assumed you got Bold 9780 and not 9700?
    Bold 9650, we are talking CDMA BBs here, not GSM.
    02-16-11 08:57 AM
    I just put in a claim yesterday. Cracked storm 2 screen. Was very pleased at the ease of taking care of this online....and happy that the phone arrived in less than 24 hours with no shipping fees.

But the refurbished phone SUCKED. Radio stinks - can't get good service - surepress barely works on one side of the screen and it also has a small crack. So after activating my new phone and syncing it, loading apps, etc, I had to UNDO all of that and get my old storm back working. Supposed to get another one from Asurion tomorrow, but this time am not holding my breath that it will be a good phone.
    03-02-11 02:40 PM
    Asurion was fantastic when I had to make a claim on my wife's Tour (the sad victim of a beer bath, courtesy of me). I had a new/refurb device waiting on the porch when I got home from work.
    03-02-11 02:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD