02-02-13 04:54 PM
104 ... 2345
tools
    People need to understand something about Apple Maps: it's always been a pretty good app. Here's the reason why it drew such negative publicity: it was much less functional than their existing solution of Google Maps on iOS. They purposely downgraded their users to a worse solution in order to gain further control of their ecosystem. In truth, Apple Maps was released a year too early.

In terms of BB10, Google Maps is simply not an option right now as they have not made a BB10 app. It comes as no surprise to me that BB10 maps are worse than Apple Maps. Apple Maps has been worked on for much longer and was created on a mature operating system. This shouldn't come as a shock to anyone who understands the mobile market.
    richardat likes this.
    02-01-13 12:22 AM
    What I don't understand is BlackBerry shows off outstanding 3D maps with street view and millions of points of Interest in their demos for the QNX Car Platform 2.0 that they developed or co-developed with partners. So if they have awesome HTML 5 apps that run on the Car 2.0 Platform which is essentially BB 10, I am wondering why the BB 10 app seems so bare bones.

Hopefully now that the OS is out the door and it's about maintenance and planning new features they can devote some more time to getting the app up to date. That or just buy TomTom outright lol
    You need to understand that the QNX demos are just that: demos. They aren't fully functioning apps that can handle real world use yet. BB10 will incorporate QNX apps/technology as they are fully completed and tested.
    02-01-13 12:25 AM
    So let me get this straight...

You want an APP that does all these things... how about THE INTERNET, which can do ALL OF THAT PLUS MORE.
    I dont understand how we are in 2013 and people need to be spoon fed things. use the GOOGLE MAPS WEBSITE... come on!
    nononono! you don't get this straight, we really really need a map app with the whole internet in it.
    More bling bling so it takes us longer to download the super high quality 4d-ish images where we can see if we need to drive on gravel or sand :P

</sarcasm> </sry>
    RECOOL and bizzyqu like this.
    02-01-13 01:41 AM
    And if worse comes to worse, BB10 always has the ability to run offline GPS software. Let me see android and iPhones run that. Oh wait, they can't......ROFL
    Huh?? iOS had offline Navigon, TomTom and other commercial GPS software before BB had their BBOS 6.
    In fact, the choice of GPS software on Android and iOS are so abundant that it made Playbook looks like a desert for GPS software. It really was one of the biggest complaint on Playbook where there wasn't even one good GPS software till recently.
    02-01-13 03:21 AM
    Browser in desktop mode, google maps on the web : "Problem" (if ever it was one) solved.

People have to learn that the "pick-that-app-to-clean-your-nose-or-sniff" era is near to end.
    You believe google maps is the best ? Cool, just set a browser shortcut and use it.

One word : DO.
    One suggestion : Stop you making knots in the brain, it is time-consuming and inefficient
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-01-13 at 06:05 AM.
    kbz1960, Geeoff, hpjrt and 1 others like this.
    02-01-13 04:32 AM
    hopefully Blackberry will have the sense to offer an App like Navigator or Google maps . I never found the maps on my 9800 or 9860 much chop. On my Note 2 I have Google and Navigator. As I near my destination it automatically goes over to street view.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    02-01-13 05:27 AM
    If you want satellite images mapped onto 3d terrain for cool effect, i guess a native app and a good slap to bring you to your senses is a must.
    02-01-13 07:17 AM
    I've heard elsewhere that Google maps in the browser works totally fine. On the Playbook it is a completely acceptable option.

So can't we just use Google maps in the internet browser and be done with this debate?
    02-01-13 09:40 AM
    I've heard elsewhere that Google maps in the browser works totally fine. On the Playbook it is a completely acceptable option.

So can't we just use Google maps in the internet browser and be done with this debate?
    For one, I do not think it is anywhere as convenient; someone correct me if I'm wrong. Someone explain the process of navigating (from an address book or web search) via the browser. Plus, it won't give you the option of offline tiling, which is a very strong feature.

Point being, if it works to use the browser for someone, no sweat; just don't be surprised that some folks might not be too keen on that option.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    02-01-13 10:28 AM
    Did you guys remember that RIM/BlackBerry have an agreement with Microsoft to have Bing Maps on BlackBerry devices, I don't think the agreement period is over.
    02-01-13 10:59 AM
    Just tried the Maps navigation on my dev alpha. It's not bad. Functional. Definitely lacking features, but it does Text-to-Speech, re-routing after missing a turn generally pretty quick. I have no huge complaints considering it's gen one software. The mapping data is there (you can see the skytrain lines on the maps), but the folks making the maps application just need to build in more functions. Most likely they were told to lock down features and make sure everything works fine for the launch. It's way better than old BB Maps + BB traffic combination. They do need better integration with the traffic data though (it's there; I can see it; but routes don't seem to be selected based on traffic patterns; I would prefer if they have integrated the old BB Traffic ability to select routes based on traffic history on the routes). Walking directions and public transit directions would be good. Yelp integration would also be good (that's what I have on my copilot navigation app on Android).
    02-01-13 11:42 AM
    There are two media sources that should never be cited seriously, Fox News and Yahoo.
    Juango94 likes this.
    02-01-13 07:08 PM
    Rrrright...but does it direct you into the middle of a lake or in the barren landscape of Australia with no help.
    Sorry, but as obvious as it is that Blackberry Maps is not on the same level as GoogleMaps (as if they were expecting it to be? Give me a break....) saying it's worse the Apple Maps is delusional and reeks of "saving face" for Apple.
    Actually I think they are trying to save face for themselves, feeling salty after CEO Mayer ordered them to ditched BBs for 'any other phone' a few months ago only to have BB come out with a phone that is at least as good as the rest.
    02-01-13 08:21 PM
    There is no such thing as perfect... but inferiority on basic functions of a device claimed to be a mobile computing device, is hard to accept... BlackBerry will find hard time to convince users who already experience better Apps or functionality on other OS... and it is only normal for these users to compare them for benchmarking (with exceptional on those who are only looking for "flaws")... afterall, it is their hard-earned money that is going to be spent...

Nevertheless, there's should always room for improvement...
    02-01-13 08:22 PM
    I never use smart phone maps anyway. Have a gps that's never let me down. Not too concerned about it.
    02-01-13 09:24 PM
    So, because it doesn't have a satellite view, that "worse" for a mapping app than not actually getting you to the right place....

But how could any journalist with any integrity.... oh wait it's Yahoo! Nevermind, I thought I was reading something from a site that actually counted.

Si.
    Yikes... right in the kisser.
    02-01-13 09:45 PM
    This is a bummer. All of the excuses you guys are coming up with aren't going to make up for a lack of functionality that a significant amount of users will find to be important.

Blackberry is playing catch up and has to achieve greatness in their execution if they want to compete with the top 2. Being an apologist does not further the goal of reclaiming their former prominence.
    I respectfully disagree. BBRY is playing catch up game but not Crackberrians
    02-01-13 09:50 PM
    You need to understand that the QNX demos are just that: demos. They aren't fully functioning apps that can handle real world use yet. BB10 will incorporate QNX apps/technology as they are fully completed and tested.
    Well, they showed off two different apps in the QNX jeep Demo video that both appeared fully functional and both looked allot better then the Maps app for BB10. I mean how can they neglect a feature that important to their target audience? If I'm doing business I need a good maps solution out of the box with POI's, sat view and some 3D in major cities to help me get around using landmarks. This is an area they cannot continue to neglect
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-01-13 10:17 PM
    I have not been able to test my Z10 Maps yet for navigation as that long drive is coming up today, but I was under the impression that at least the navigation part of the program was written by (or in collaboration with) TomTom. Certainly when I loaded up maps and did a test to get to my workplace postcode it did feel very similar to my circa 2005 TomTom XL (yes - that pre-dates even the TT One Series) but I did not get any voice directions because I was not actually moving anywhere apart from my desk to my fridge and back to my desk.

I did notice that the usual suspects of GPS software were popping up on BlackBerry World though, so if the worst case scenario occurs then there are a few candidates to test. My problem is that I used a magnet system on my dash for the Torch as I did not use Maps for navigation, I now have to infest in a new cradle to accommodate the size difference and use Maps.... or take my life in my hands and entrust Z10 to Wifey.
    02-02-13 02:01 AM
    It is impressive that you can review a map application without the phone being active in the US. Oh well as Forrest Gump would say "Stupid is what Stupid does". Anyways, real reviews from real people who have used it say it is quite good if what you want are directions and navigation. It has a stripped down minimalist approach to mapping which is refreshing and easy to follow. The navigation elements are also clear. This is what 90% of what this App is used for.

"Wow, The New BlackBerry Maps Are Worse Than Apple Maps"

Wow, The New BlackBerry Maps Are Worse Than Apple Maps - Yahoo! Finance
    02-02-13 07:40 AM
    Well, yes. But the point is "haters got to hate".

02-02-13 07:47 AM
    Here is a Fact - Google Maps are by far the best Maps on the planet.
    Some of its features cannot be matched by any other competitor for a long time to come, simply because of the amount time and resources that Google has spent on its Maps over the years. Things like Transit, and Street View give Google Maps an edge that would take any other company Years to match. Also, they have the great features of Latitude.
    And then comes my favourite part .. .Map Maker for Google allows people to map places they know of, this way even the most obscure places can be found on the map with relatively high accuracy. I am not sure if other Maps allow for Crowd-Sourcing their data, but I know for sure that it has allowed every street, and POI in my city to be found on Google Maps whereas BING, and BlackBerry OS 6 Maps think I live in the middle of nowhere.

Here is My Point - There is no point in trying to compete with Google Maps.
    Any other Maps app will never be as good ( for the foreseeable future ) so they should be treated for what they are, i.e lesser alternatives, and not Google Maps replacement.

For those of you who claim the Browser is the answer to everything - Its Not, it may be a feasible workaround, but it can never be as good as a well built app can be.
    For instance, an app can adapt to the OS, and optimised for touchscreen for a streamlined experience, a Maps App can store a Cache of a City for Offline Navigation, and a Maps App can provide turn by turn navigation ( never tried that on the browser )
    Moonbase0ne and randall2580 like this.
    02-02-13 08:37 AM
    The Android version of Google Maps works fine on the Playbook. I'm sure it would work fine on BB10 too.
    02-02-13 11:13 AM
    Did you guys remember that RIM/BlackBerry have an agreement with Microsoft to have Bing Maps on BlackBerry devices, I don't think the agreement period is over.
    Bing Maps works fine on Playbook, so it should work fine in BB10 too
    02-02-13 11:15 AM
    Who the **** cares if I can play 50 different types of Angry Bird games my BB. I care that I now will regain a tool that helps me run my business. IPhone and the rest are toys, plain and simple. That said, I agree a map program is important. I'm confident that BB will now focus on the software upgrades now that the hardware and ecosystem is in place.
    02-02-13 11:29 AM
104 ... 2345