Hahaha! The name Yahoo says it all! Yahoo "news" makes Fox news reporting look like a real piece of journalism.
    01-31-13 04:57 PM
    So let me get this straight...

You want an APP that does all these things... how about THE INTERNET, which can do ALL OF THAT PLUS MORE.
    I dont understand how we are in 2013 and people need to be spoon fed things. use the GOOGLE MAPS WEBSITE... come on!
    You can see how using a mobile app would be easier, and more intuitive though? You do see why "use the browser" didn't work previously, and why it probably won't work with consumers now?
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    01-31-13 04:58 PM
    So let me get this straight...

You want an APP that does all these things... how about THE INTERNET, which can do ALL OF THAT PLUS MORE.
    I dont understand how we are in 2013 and people need to be spoon fed things. use the GOOGLE MAPS WEBSITE... come on!
    People just rant about BB. Honestly, just sideload until gmaps is ported over
    01-31-13 04:59 PM
    And it is less data consuming too...... Why in the world would I want to use a map that takes 100 mb in just a few navigations while bbmaps uses a few kb
    Now this a a good piece of info. BBmaps is proven to use less resources than competitors with regards to mapping?
    01-31-13 05:00 PM
    NOTHING on this planet compares to Google Maps. What did they expect? At least it works out of the door unlike iOS maps when it was launched.
    01-31-13 05:01 PM
    Wait, don't both companies use TomTom for their map apps?
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-31-13 05:01 PM
    If I understand this reporter correctly, it is better to try to create a fancy 3D mapping app even if it may lead you to the middle of nowhere potentially putting your life at risk, than it is to make sure you get the basics done right the first time and update after that.

Download Poynt and look up the places for reviews and such, then open up the directions in BB maps.

Or use google maps online. Or sideload google maps.

I much prefer what BlackBerry has done. This just sounds like they are trying to make us forget about the Apple Maps debacle. Why else would you compare a brand new Maps app vs one that has had 4 months to fix its shortcomings without mention those shortcomings?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    zyben, Jonesy1966, Tim-ANC and 1 others like this.
    01-31-13 05:05 PM
    I think we can all agree that BBmaps trumps Apple maps hands down. I think eventually BB traffic will be combined with the new bbmaps, and all will be honky dory
    01-31-13 05:08 PM
    Have you guys used the turn by turn nav on an android device with google maps? It's pretty bad.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    01-31-13 05:09 PM
    01-31-13 05:12 PM
    Now this a a good piece of info. BBmaps is proven to use less resources than competitors with regards to mapping?
    nope, he is just rehashing a legacy defense of BB, namely that data routed through BIS is compressed when being transmitted to the device, so in theory owning a BB will lower your data charges. not only was this argument never proven to be true, but it was only valid in the days of 2g/3g, when wireless web access was slow. HSPA/HDPA made this moot by 2010 and with LTE, the argument should be well and truly dead.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    01-31-13 05:14 PM
    nope, he is just rehashing a legacy defense of BB, namely that data routed through BIS is compressed when being transmitted to the device, so in theory owning a BB will lower your data charges. not only was this argument never proven to be true, but it was only valid in the days of 2g/3g, when wireless web access was slow. HSPA/HDPA made this moot by 2010 and with LTE, the argument should be well and truly dead.

This is bull****. It may decrease the speed, BUT it decreases your data usage. That's what's important. My friend maxes out data plan 2 weeks into the month. On my BB, I use fb, twitter, bbm, maps, etc, and I use 30-60 mb a month......
    01-31-13 05:19 PM
    Wait, don't both companies use TomTom for their map apps?
    That's what I thought.

01-31-13 05:30 PM
    This guy always have Bias opinion,

"RIM's Next BlackBerry Looks Great, But It'll Take A Miracle To Make People Care"
    Read more: BlackBerry 10 Intrigue - Business Insider

"RIM's 'Affordable' New BlackBerry Will Actually Cost You $250
    Yes, but this is not more affordable. Seems odd to call a $250 affordable, when you can get Android phones and even the iPhone 4 for free."
    Read more: Business Insider - Steve Kovach

"Here is one where he talks about people should stop using blackberry phones"
    Lame Tech - Business Insider

"Not only is your BlackBerry under-featured and under-powered compared to other top-tier smartphones out there, but it's also about to become completely irrelevant once RIM unveils its new mobile operating system, BlackBerry 10, early next year."

He rated the Blackberry #1 as lame tech and the BLackberry playbook #2 as lame tech people should stop using.

Read more: Lame Tech - Business Insider
    01-31-13 05:31 PM
    What I don't understand is BlackBerry shows off outstanding 3D maps with street view and millions of points of Interest in their demos for the QNX Car Platform 2.0 that they developed or co-developed with partners. So if they have awesome HTML 5 apps that run on the Car 2.0 Platform which is essentially BB 10, I am wondering why the BB 10 app seems so bare bones.

Hopefully now that the OS is out the door and it's about maintenance and planning new features they can devote some more time to getting the app up to date. That or just buy TomTom outright lol
    01-31-13 05:37 PM
    This is bull****. It may decrease the speed, BUT it decreases your data usage. That's what's important. My friend maxes out data plan 2 weeks into the month. On my BB, I use fb, twitter, bbm, maps, etc, and I use 30-60 mb a month......
    Have you run comparisons with BB10?
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-31-13 05:39 PM
    There is absolutely no way blackberry can match google on this. Which should not be a surprise. So I'd either sideload (thank you RIM), wait for it native, or do without. Personally I get by fine with traffic.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-31-13 05:44 PM
    Kovach is a dweeb...paid to spew crap.
    zyben likes this.
    01-31-13 05:47 PM
    don't know about bb10, but i always delete maps first on legacy devices.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-31-13 06:04 PM
    Both companies used TOM TOM but Google will not rescue Blackberry the way they did iPhone.
    01-31-13 06:05 PM
    You can see how using a mobile app would be easier, and more intuitive though? You do see why "use the browser" didn't work previously, and why it probably won't work with consumers now?
    I agree that it would be easier... but having much better messaging organization on my iphone would be better too...
    im not saying dont use apps, but id say 90% of them are not needed
    01-31-13 06:47 PM
    What I don't understand is BlackBerry shows off outstanding 3D maps with street view and millions of points of Interest in their demos for the QNX Car Platform 2.0 that they developed or co-developed with partners. So if they have awesome HTML 5 apps that run on the Car 2.0 Platform which is essentially BB 10, I am wondering why the BB 10 app seems so bare bones.

Hopefully now that the OS is out the door and it's about maintenance and planning new features they can devote some more time to getting the app up to date. That or just buy TomTom outright lol
    Yeah, but QNX said they partnered with someone else.
    01-31-13 07:27 PM
    Why are people shocked that a phone with hardware similar to SG3 is about the same price. Geesh
    01-31-13 07:42 PM
    Yeah he definitely dodges by saying that it doesnt have the "features" of Apple Maps. As long as you dont drive off a cliff when trying to go to the hospital i'm cool with that. Features can always be added later but correct mapping is the core competency of a maps program.
    01-31-13 08:34 PM
    Have you guys used the turn by turn nav on an android device with google maps? It's pretty bad.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    I use the turn by turn NAV for Google Maps on one of my phones that's running Gingerbread 2.6 and it works really, really well. I use it a few days a week for work.
    01-31-13 11:48 PM
104 12345