The Fire Question

By Stephen Fry
    January 31st, 2013

It�s very simple. I have a Samsung Galaxy III, a BlackBerry Z10 , an iPhone 5, an HTC Windows 8x and an LG Nexus 4. More or less the smartest soldiers in the smartphone army.

There�s a fire in my flat/hotel-room/bordello/ski-chalet. I have only enough time to take ONE. Which do I choose? This is the question I have to ask myself.

If you want to punish yourself press this link which will take you through all the tech blogs I�ve written, since before the arrival of the iPhone and its transformation, not to say invention of the smartphone and subsidiary app market. You will find that I have relentlessly hammered home my desire for this field to be wide and rich in its biodiversity. I do not want only Apple, or only Samsung, or only Nokia or only BlackBerry to dominate. The more variation and choice in form factors, operating systems, the more innovation in terms of your device and its response to the environment, the better. The more open hardware and software APIs that allow for medical, military, charitable, mercantile, individual, artistic and social interaction for pleasure, gain, reward and the furthering of mankind�s destiny, the better. Boo to monopolies. Hurrah for competition and innovation.

Deep breath.
    keep reading...
    The Fire Question � The New Adventures of Stephen Fry
    01-31-13 05:53 PM
    Very interesting read of a 'users' insight. There seems to be a missing link between a real userexperience and some of the reviews that i read.

Damm strong disclaymer in the end, just priceless honesty to avoid loud mouths.
    01-31-13 06:20 PM
    Thanks for this I like him
    01-31-13 06:31 PM
    Stephen has always been able to balance his love of gadgets with a critical eye. I read his first impression tweet a few weeks back and it's good to see he's still impressed by the Z10. Too many reviewers have no objectivity and will just ape whatever buzzwords are flying around about a product. David Pogue, a writer who has savaged BlackBerry for years was another one who highlighted what they did that's impressive instead of just grabbing something he didn't like and discard the entire device.
    pmccartney and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-31-13 07:43 PM
    This was refreshing.

"Boo to monopolies. Hurrah for competition and innovation."

Amen.
    Shanerredflag and joe.miller like this.
    01-31-13 10:04 PM
    in all honesty... i would take this guys opinion over anyones

and if he is willing to get burnt in a fire because he cant decide between a device that was just released and one that has an ecosystem that is 5 years old im taking the New Kid...

you have to consider that if you are signing a 3 year contract (in canada) I would rather have a 'on par' device from a company that KNOWS it has to push forward with everything instead of a company that hasnt been pushing anything but sales in the last 2 years.
    lorax1284 likes this.
    01-31-13 10:15 PM
    Interesting read, he comes across as believable.
    01-31-13 10:20 PM
    As I just posted in another thread, this fall's into the category of what Thorsten has categorized as success in the first few quarters for the device. Real users saying try this device, it's worthy. It is very easy to rip apart every little thing that is wrong with a device - but the real question is will I enjoy using this device. Real users answer that question, not tech blogs.
    joe.miller likes this.
    02-01-13 04:34 AM
    Mycroft Holmes knows his stuff......
    Barljo likes this.
    02-01-13 05:31 AM
    It's nice to read a tech blog with no agenda. I didn't recognize him with the goatee.
    02-01-13 08:03 AM
    It's a matter of taste, subjective, but Mr. Fry is incredibly intelligent and has excellent taste, so.... there.
    mark37724 likes this.
    02-01-13 11:51 AM