The only thing that truly matters is how well the android market/app integration is. If 90% of android apps can work seamlessly on the PB, it wont matter whether the PB has native qnx apps or not.

As has been mentioned a few posts ago, consumers in general dont care what's better, faster, more secure etc.....the majority of consumers buy tablets based on apps, which generally speaking, equals functional variety. Sure there will be some who say "well PB still doesnt have native qnx apps, its just leeching from android", but to most people none of that matters.

If android market works with OS2.0, i would consider the app issue solved.
    01-11-12 05:21 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    This is the turnaround year for RIM ... starting off with February and Playbook 2.0! .. its going to be awesome!!! ...
    01-11-12 05:35 PM
    The only thing that truly matters is how well the android market/app integration is. If 90% of android apps can work seamlessly on the PB, it wont matter whether the PB has native qnx apps or not.

As has been mentioned a few posts ago, consumers in general dont care what's better, faster, more secure etc.....the majority of consumers buy tablets based on apps, which generally speaking, equals functional variety. Sure there will be some who say "well PB still doesnt have native qnx apps, its just leeching from android", but to most people none of that matters.

Ummm, I don't think you get what's happening in Android apps (and when you read this, you might understand why the word "Android" was nowhere to be found in RIM's press release).

Android Market will not come up in 2.0. Android apps on their own won't work in 2.0 at all; the developer must obtain a Blackberry developer ID, obtain keys, perform a (usually almost instantaneous) conversion of their Android app to a .bar file, and then submit that .bar to be included in BLACKBERRY App World.

In many cases, it's not a problem. In many more cases, minor re-coding may be required before an app will install and run correctly on the PB. In a few cases, where specific hardware apis must be used, an app may require extensive re-coding.

And, there may be the rare case where for whatever reason the developer refuses to submit his app for this process. In most cases, though, once a developer has a BB dev ID and signing keys, app conversion is a matter of minutes.

So, sure, PB OS 2.0 "supports Android", but there's an asterisk attached...
    01-11-12 05:44 PM

Moreover, the average consumer does not really understand the intricacies of a re-packaged Android app vs. a stock app, vs. well... a PlayBook app. If they go to App World and get what they want and it works, then that's all they care about. If it in fact is -- seamless integration of Android apps, then it will indeed be a big deal.
    01-11-12 05:57 PM
    In a few cases, where specific hardware apis must be used, an app may require extensive re-coding.
    True. But apps like this are also the ones that are *least likely* to run on multiple versions of Android, and on multiple devices that have varying specs.
    01-11-12 06:01 PM
    Your entire comment was opinion except for the line in bold, and guess what?
    Yes. And? I do not see where the OP said he/she was not giving opinions but rather stating indisputable facts.
    01-11-12 06:09 PM
    It's not too late.

They need to price the new playbook more competitively. Word will get around that the playbook is really good. OS2 + competitive price (less the iPad) + popular apps = people buying the playbook.

RIM has a lot of BB users already and many more will consider the playbook when buying a tablet.
    01-11-12 06:35 PM
    I am disappointed that there is no announcement of new tablet design. Perhaps, 10" PB tablet. Although PB OS 2.0 looks impressive in the videos, RIM has to market the tablet better: highlighting it's productivity features for business.

With no new hardware announcements from RIM, CES was full of announcements from other tablet makers like Asus:

ASUS' 7-inch Eee Pad MeMO ME370T coming Q2 2012 to North America | The Verge

The competition will be fierce in 2012. RIM has to define PB market (enterprise or consumer) and market it aggressively. So far all I have seen is consumer apps, where are the major productivity apps for enterprise like Salesforce.com Mobile app or WebEx for PB?

Oh well, hope springs eternal.
    01-11-12 09:00 PM
    OS X really doesnt have much to do with it. Why re-invent an UI for OS-X when you have a touch based OS. That was one of the funnies about the first iPad, its a iTouch with a 10" screen.
    According to Wiki:

iOS is derived from Mac OS X, with which it shares the Darwin foundation, and is therefore a Unix-like operating system by nature.
    This is the secret sauce to Apple's success. They are not reinventing. They are building ecosystems.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-11-12 09:31 PM
    Based on the demos they've shown, the e-mail, contacts, and calendar apps that RIM is late with, blow away anything the competition has. The social feed integration is phenomenal. I think that this is what Jim was referring to when he prematurely talked about leapfrogging the competition prior to DevCon. If he had held that statement off till CES then he wouldn't have looked like a total clown. As of right now their is only an iPad market, no other tablet has been able to gain traction. Google is a me too platform compared to iOS, but RIM has decided to be something totally different and I think that when OS 2.0 comes out, even though it is late, they can say Apple can't do all this.
    Nicely put. That is something we'll see in the new addvertising I believe.
    01-11-12 09:44 PM
    It's not too late.

They need to price the new playbook more competitively. Word will get around that the playbook is really good. OS2 + competitive price (less the iPad) + popular apps = people buying the playbook.
    This. RIM's biggest mistake on the Playbook's launch was its arrogant pricing. Obviously, they need to make money but this has to be really careful.

RIM has a lot of BB users already and many more will consider the playbook when buying a tablet.
    Especially when they see the remote functionality. It sounds kind of "meh" in concept, but the demo looked just insanely cool. THAT's one of those things that will make onlookers go "ooooo!"
    01-11-12 11:42 PM
    Just another article. Just give it time for rim to progress. They're already making progress anyways. Give them a chance.
    01-12-12 12:48 AM
    Well, I presume some doesn't get -yet- what's "behind" all these features and did not either see what the "whole thing" is about. QNX is already massively deployed on infotainment systems and the interoperability of phones, tablets and other devices is what I may call a *real* "new user experience". We are pioneers in terms of discovery of any capabilities of our PB and Phones, while most users don't even figure what this will bring to them ... until they - or friends/colleagues of them - got one PB in hands. Hope RIM will be agile when promoting this and new campaigns will be explicit enough to demonstrate those huge capabilities. If they do: bingo !
    01-12-12 02:03 AM
    I correspond with app dev often about what they have and what i'm looking for in business and most often they give me details about what they are dev and different companies(ins., hospitals, etc...) they are working with to develop. Maybe, maybe not, but it is promising.
    01-12-12 08:32 PM
    Your entire comment was opinion except for the line in bold, and guess what? What's in bold is the only thing that matters. If you can't sell your product in numbers sufficient to turn a decent profit, being "better" is meaningless. Based on sales data, consumers don't agree with your opinion of the various platforms, and how consumers view the product is what matters most.
    Sony and Microsoft would disagree with you that no profit = death for a product. The Playbook is selling well for a non-ipad tablet, and 2.0 addresses quite possibly every shortcoming of 1.0 (except potentially bes, bbm, and usb otg). Deal with it.
    01-12-12 08:53 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD