I always have to laugh at folks who argue want vs need. Doesn't matter if a given feature is a want or a need. If company A offers service Z, but company B says service Z is overrated but we have services J through L instead, then people who want service Z might go to company A or complain that company B won't offer it.

I guess what I mean is consumers want value and other devices have been providing more value.

RIM needs to offer more value by either improving their devices or cut pricing they offer the devices to the carriers for so they can sell them at a lower price point in order to be more competitive.
    Rello likes this.
    12-23-10 06:05 PM
    I always have to laugh at folks who argue want vs need. Doesn't matter if a given feature is a want or a need. If company A offers service Z, but company B says service Z is overrated but we have services J through L instead, then people who want service Z might go to company A or complain that company B won't offer it.

I guess what I mean is consumers want value and other devices have been providing more value.

RIM needs to offer more value by either improving their devices or cut pricing they offer the devices to the carriers for so they can sell them at a lower price point in order to be more competitive.
    Bingo!!!

The want versus needs argument doesn't fly in this case when dealing with RIM.

Lets say I need the extra bells and whistles from RIM........doesn't matter because none of their devices have the hardware to run apps or higher end things like 720p video recording.

Lets say I want the extra bells and whistles from RIM..........well only jesus knows how long we'll be waiting for that

So either way, gotta fall into one of those categories, and either way RIM doesn't provide what you're looking for.

We're being asked to pay 200, when hardware for the same competition is sitting right next to it for the same price. Its like paying 300 for a low end mp3 player when ipod touch is sitting next to it...............
    12-23-10 07:59 PM
    hahaha

just for the fun of it I visited android central to browse and see how the members there are satisfied..

For the most part they are satisfied, but I had to laugh at a thread where they were ******** about the phones not having dual-core processors...

we BB users are still waiting for 1ghz processors..
    12-23-10 08:38 PM
    hahaha

just for the fun of it I visited android central to browse and see how the members there are satisfied..

For the most part they are satisfied, but I had to laugh at a thread where they were ******** about the phones not having dual-core processors...

Haha that is funny

I mean.....forget 1ghz.............we haven't even crossed 800mhz!!!

If they were going at our (snails) pace, im pretty sure there would be an abundance of s**t talking going on over there.
    12-23-10 08:56 PM
    hahaha

That's right, it isn't hard to pacify us, simply give us everything a person can imagine and we're happy. Haha

Forget dual core processors though, I want at least a quad core processor running a minimum of 5ghz, 10GB ram, 1TB storage and a mini cold fusion reactor to power the beast.

Android has less users complaining because the manufacturers actually listen to what the consumers want and actively try to cater to them vs the old "you'll take what we feel like giving you and you'll like it" routine from somebody else we know...
    syb0rg and lssanjose like this.
    12-24-10 09:05 AM
    Plus if Motorola can come back from the dead, RIM should be able to do so!
    If android didn't exist, neither would current day Motorola.
    12-24-10 09:34 AM
    If android didn't exist, neither would current day Motorola.
    Agreed. They are riding the Android gravy train all the way to the bank. I am fine with that. I love Moto build quality and signal strength.
    12-24-10 09:38 AM
    That's right, it isn't hard to pacify us, simply give us everything a person can imagine and we're happy. Haha

Forget dual core processors though, I want at least a quad core processor running a minimum of 5ghz, 10GB ram, 1TB storage and a mini cold fusion reactor to power the beast.

Android has less users complaining because the manufacturers actually listen to what the consumers want and actively try to cater to them vs the old "you'll take what we feel like giving you and you'll like it" routine from somebody else we know...
    If i could thank you multiple times for this post i would

but if you look at our other fruity competitor you will see alot of satisfied people. The only people who are not satisfied with them is Android users. Who do not even use the phone. we set back and gripe and complain about closed programming and limited choices on app market places, then we complain about uniformity, and so on and so on. Now granted some of us use Mac computers or iPods, dare iSay iPads? So we know how green the grass is on the other side, but 99.9% of everyone who complains about another platform has never used it for more that "i went to the store and played with a ______"
    12-24-10 09:41 AM
    If i could thank you multiple times for this post i would

but if you look at our other fruity competitor you will see alot of satisfied people. The only people who are not satisfied with them is Android users. Who do not even use the phone. we set back and gripe and complain about closed programming and limited choices on app market places, then we complain about uniformity, and so on and so on. Now granted some of us use Mac computers or iPods, dare iSay iPads? So we know how green the grass is on the other side, but 99.9% of everyone who complains about another platform has never used it for more that "i went to the store and played with a ______"
    Well that's easy to explain: they're a cult... JK
    12-24-10 10:21 AM

it's the favorite retort of the BB fan person. "It does what I need"....unfortunately for Rim, the world is full of people who now buy things that do what they "want". The easy to please folk who pretty much show loyalty through thick and thin are dwindling. they do all seem to be coming "here" though.
    12-24-10 11:33 AM
    I agree with you 100 percent hootyhoo. I am just wondering if our phone habits have changed over the past couple of years to where we NEED all the bells and whistles or do we just WANT them.

I am the latest and greatest type of guy. If it is new and has a feature that I think I could use, I will buy it. Everyday, I look forward to viewing Crackberry's web site to see if this is the day I buy me a new Blackberry. BUT in all reality, I would use it the same as I have always done for the past 3 years. My Bold 9650 is more than enough for me, and yet I want more.
    do you do this in every case? do you only buy what you need? you never buy what you want? I really doubt you live that way. If so I applaud you. Nobody lives that way. And this is why people are leaving the BB platform for iphone and android. they understand that rim is a corporation that makes billions, off of you, and not some family member you have to remain loyal too for irrational reasons. the reason rim sales were 16% lower in USA is because people are waking up and buying what they want. And here's the kicker. they can buy what they want, for the price of what they "need".
    12-24-10 11:42 AM
    it's the favorite retort of the BB fan person. "It does what I need"....unfortunately for Rim, the world is full of people who now buy things that do what they "want". The easy to please folk who pretty much show loyalty through thick and thin are dwindling. they do all seem to be coming "here" though.
    What's happening is that devices are out that do everything you need and more. So for people that just says "my blackberry does everything I need" can hold on to that. That's fine for them. But a lot of people want to know when is RIM going to go beyond the "needs".
    12-24-10 11:59 AM
    ...The easy to please folk who pretty much show loyalty through thick and thin are dwindling. they do all seem to be coming "here" though.
    Wow! BlackBerry fans in the Crackberry RIM forum, what a shock
    The real mystery is why all the Android clones are always hanging out here.
    12-24-10 12:59 PM
    Wow! BlackBerry fans in the Crackberry RIM forum, what a shock
    The real mystery is why all the Android clones are always hanging out here.
    That would be because many of us are former BB users and continue to help the BB users here just about as much as BB users do.

Most of us left because we were disappointed in RIM's promises and lack of progress. Many of us are watching the developments here and many of us aren't opposed to buying RIM again if they boost their technology...

The real mystery though is why people continue to cling to devices that never change and rarely offer a significant improvement over the previous generation...
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 12-24-10 at 01:15 PM.
    12-24-10 01:09 PM
    That would be because many of us are former BB users and continue to help the BB users here just about as much as BB users do.

Most of us left because we were disappointed in RIM's promises and lack of progress. Many of us are watching the developments here and many of us aren't opposed to buying RIM again if they boost their technology...

The real mystery though is why people continue to cling to devices that never change and rarely offer a significant improvement over the previous generation...

This goes along with what I was trying to say earlier. I have been on here complaining about RIM not releasing a newer version. I would LOVE to have something from RIM that will blow all the other Smart Phones out of the water. I have just come to the point to NOT get mad at RIM for waiting so long because they really haven't promised us such a phone. I took a good long look at my needs verses wants and came to the conclusions that my needs are more than met by RIM. No other smart phone can meet my needs like a Blackberry can. For this, I give them credit for instead of bashing them for not addressing the wants of people. If at the time my wants become greater than my needs, I will switch to the best platform at that time.

Ex: We all want a want a wife that can cook, clean, bring home the bacon and with small hands. Would I trade her in because she can do 3 out of the 4 things. No, I would appreciate the 3 things she can do and wish her hands would shrink. Ha ha
    12-24-10 01:48 PM
    This goes along with what I was trying to say earlier. I have been on here complaining about RIM not releasing a newer version. I would LOVE to have something from RIM that will blow all the other Smart Phones out of the water. I have just come to the point to NOT get mad at RIM for waiting so long because they really haven't promised us such a phone. I took a good long look at my needs verses wants and came to the conclusions that my needs are more than met by RIM. No other smart phone can meet my needs like a Blackberry can. For this, I give them credit for instead of bashing them for not addressing the wants of people. If at the time my wants become greater than my needs, I will switch to the best platform at that time.

Ex: We all want a want a wife that can cook, clean, bring home the bacon and with small hands. Would I trade her in because she can do 3 out of the 4 things. No, I would appreciate the 3 things she can do and wish her hands would shrink. Ha ha

You, Sir, are of a rare breed. And I mean that in a nice way. Nobody examines needs v/s wants anymore. They just want what they want whether they actually NEED it or not. I still haven't determined how a playbook fits into what I need in life, but I sure am gonna buy one. Know why? Because I want it!
    12-24-10 02:11 PM
    Nobody examines needs v/s wants anymore.
    I wouldn't say that. Plenty of people do. RIM provides everything I need on a smartphone. Android also provides everything I need. The difference is, Android also provides what I want and some extras. In my case, Android is more bang for my buck, for others, not so much.

What I find hilarious is that the majority of BB fanboys on this site (not saying you), assume users on other platforms are there just because they just want the eye-candy and just want all these "extras" that we don't "need". They assume we aren't getting what we need, meanwhile we are and are also just getting more for our money.

I don't know about you, but when I buy something I buy what I need and what is going to give me the most for my money. Every RIM offering at the time of my last upgrade could not compare to the Android devices VZW was offering. $200 for a Storm2 or $200 for a Droid... The Droid for me was the best option.
    corymcnutt likes this.
    12-24-10 02:38 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD