FP Tech Desk: RIM poised to make waves at CES | FP Posted | Financial Post

Thought this article brought up some interesting points.
    12-21-10 03:14 PM
    I think the PB news could happen but have my doubts about new device announcements. It would be a good time to reveal the native SDK and the advantage it has for enterprise.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-10 03:20 PM
    12-21-10 03:40 PM
    The space will be very crowded by the time the PB is released
    12-21-10 05:07 PM
    Add the Kno Tablet as it is know ready for shipping. BTW, the space is already crowded; too many low-end, crappy Android tablets out there.
    12-21-10 05:38 PM
    The space will be very crowded by the time the PB is released
    And will it get lost in the crowd of other tablets and never really be a player? What will make people want the PB over the tablets already out and receiving kudos? It better be one he!! of a tablet and garner rave reviews if people will notice at all!
    12-21-10 05:43 PM
    i really do hope this article is true.

I makes perfect business sense to do this.

Verizon is a power house in the industry and to keep a strong relationship with them is strategically the smart thing. Look what Android and Verizon have become...

C'mon STORM 3!
    12-21-10 06:16 PM
    For the record, RIM usually leaves big announcements like this for what is now called the BlackBerry World conference; it was previously called WES. But BlackBerry World is in early May, so I'm crossing my fingers.
    12-21-10 06:28 PM
    The release of the Playbook?
    Well this is news for most people not us.

12-21-10 07:31 PM
    i really do hope this article is true.

I makes perfect business sense to do this.
    Actually... quite the opposite.

Unless you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that what you have to announce will trump any other corporation's announcements, it's better business to keep your mouth shut. Which is why most companies save their big announcements for their own sponsored events where there is no opportunity for competitors to upstage you. Nobody wants to make a big announcement, and then look stupid when somebody else presents something even bigger.

RIM, Apple, Google, HTC, Samsung etc... they all have simple booths to showcase minor new items, and keep big announcements in their pocket. They don't pull anything out of their pocket unless somebody else tips their hand first, and then only pulls it out if they know it'll trump. Basically a big game of Chicken.

That being said... I'm sure RIM will have their Playbook showcase for CES, but I'll bet dollars to donuts they don't have any "Hands On" models unless they necessarily have to, and then only if they know it will knock your socks off.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 12-21-10 at 07:43 PM.
    12-21-10 07:40 PM

Unless you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that what you have to announce will trump any other corporation's announcements, it's better business to keep your mouth shut. Which is why most companies save their big announcements for their own sponsored events where there is no opportunity for competitors to upstage you. Nobody wants to make a big announcement, and then look stupid when somebody else presents something even bigger.

RIM, Apple, Google, HTC, Samsung etc... they all have simple booths to showcase minor new items, and keep big announcements in their pocket. They don't pull anything out of their pocket unless somebody else tips their hand first, and then only pulls it out if they know it'll trump. Basically a big game of Chicken.

That being said... I'm sure RIM will have their Playbook showcase for CES, but I'll bet dollars to donuts they don't have any "Hands On" models unless they necessarily have to, and then only if they know it will knock your socks off.
    +1

I can haz 10 char?
    12-21-10 08:05 PM

I see the point in your rationale.

I suppose I was viewing this from the perspective of the Blackberry Hopeful. "just give us something already..."

Throw us a bone or something at CES RIM...
    12-21-10 09:49 PM

This year RIM is a featured presenter on the second day I believe. So they are doing something different, but like I said, I feel it will all be PlayBook related. But with the attention of the event being draswn to them on that day, they might pull out a new device.

12-21-10 11:09 PM
    [sarcasm]Yeah, RIM making waves.... in the kiddie pool while everyone else is doing cannonballs into the deep end.[/sarcasm]
    12-22-10 01:39 AM
    "Super apps" like that once in the commercial claiming to be a super app (Pageonce) that has long been available on all other major platforms?

This seems like the same hype every year for something big, bad, and better that leads to disappointment in the end (besides the Playbook which should be a good device, but its not a smartphone)
    12-22-10 01:45 AM
    Even though we haven't heard anything about new devices, I'm still excited for CES. I really hope RIM surprises us and releases or shows us some new devices!
    12-22-10 03:00 AM
    [sarcasm]Yeah, RIM making waves.... in the kiddie pool while everyone else is doing cannonballs into the deep end.[/sarcasm]
    Not everyone likes to be splashed by a cannonball. And if you haven't thought things through, you can break your neck when you dive into the shallow end.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    12-22-10 03:06 AM
    not everyone likes to be splashed by a cannonball. And if you haven't thought things through, you can break your neck when you dive into the shallow end.
    roflmao!!!
    12-22-10 05:25 AM
    Has everyone seen Motorola's tablet teaser. They will announce the Tegra 2 tablet that Andy Rubin had on stage a few weeks ago. Cool little video. That right there will pluck several feathers from the Playbooks hat.

Anyone think they will work up some NFC tech for transfering data from a BB to a PB? Would be cool to just tap the devices and transfer a file from one to the other.

infamyx likes this.
    12-22-10 06:22 AM
    Waves.. I wonder how big or how small. I'll be google videoing for results

12-22-10 08:03 AM
    Exactly. Their waves are equivalent to the wave pool at Dorney Park while everyone else is setting off tsunamis. Just sad.
    12-22-10 09:31 AM
    Has everyone seen Motorola's tablet teaser. They will announce the Tegra 2 tablet that Andy Rubin had on stage a few weeks ago. Cool little video. That right there will pluck several feathers from the Playbooks hat.

Anyone think they will work up some NFC tech for transfering data from a BB to a PB? Would be cool to just tap the devices and transfer a file from one to the other.

I 100% AGREE.

RIM I feel is going to be a little quiet, but if they do bring the big guns, they will be silenced by the competition. Sure we'll see some Playbook stuff, but the Playbook is about to have its thunder stolen by a 10" Tegra 2 beast from Motorola running Honeycomb. That still isnt including all the other OEMs who will be there, like Palm who seems to love announcing products at CES, and all the other soon to be tablet players wanting a slice of the pie.

RIM could make some serious waves if they had lets say, a 4" touchscreen device running QNX ready to be felt up. I'm sure we'll see numerous super high spec devices outed at CES this year (sup Moto/LG?) that will further the gap between RIM now and what will be out next year if RIM doesnt get on the ball soon enough.

Although, even after all this, every manufacturer could be trumped easily? How? Lord Jobs gets on stage and says the iPhone is coming to Verizon. The news coverage from that alone would overshadow any OEM announcement unfortunately.
    12-22-10 10:40 AM
    I 100% AGREE.

RIM could make some serious waves if they had lets say, a 4" touchscreen device running QNX ready to be felt up. I'm sure we'll see numerous super high spec devices outed at CES this year (sup Moto/LG?) that will further the gap between RIM now and what will be out next year if RIM doesnt get on the ball soon enough.

RIM could make waves by announcing handhelds with QNX by 3rd Qtr 2011 (if not sooner). If they want to put some icing on the cake- produced a Storm or Storm like device* running QNX on the spot.

*Storm brand with past issues may be dated/damaged- New name may be helpful. This is just a thought
    12-22-10 12:11 PM
    RIM could make waves by announcing handhelds with QNX by 3rd Qtr 2011 (if not sooner). If they want to put some icing on the cake- produced a Storm or Storm like device* running QNX on the spot.

*Storm brand with past issues may be dated/damaged- New name may be helpful. This is just a thought
    In a different thread (maybe this one, IDK) I said that maybe RIM will just release them as Torches, even though it would just be an S3 with OS 6.
    12-22-10 12:27 PM
    Exactly. Their waves are equivalent to the wave pool at Dorney Park while everyone else is setting off tsunamis. Just sad.
    speaking of tsunamis:

before the tsunami actually hits shore, there is a GIANT lull where all of the water can be sucked out of the bay.

this is what is currently happening to RIM.
    12-22-10 12:40 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD