Apparently you haven't been in any of the fed offices to see brand new 5 year old computers stacked to the ceiling that were purchased for "budget" reasons. Probably the same with the phones.
    Tell me about it. I've got a four year old laptop with missing keys and a four year old desktop. I've got a printer that regularly forgets that it's supposed to print.
    01-24-14 03:38 AM
    Why do they need to publish this kind of article? Because they knew their readers are idiots? In the first place, nothing in the statement of pentagon did say that they will purchase the 80k BlackBerry phones!

This simply shows, the people of the verge are the ones who didn't get the statement of pentagon correctly.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 03:43 AM
    Why do they need to publish this kind of article? Because they knew their readers are idiots? In the first place, nothing in the statement of pentagon did say that they will purchase the 80k BlackBerry phones!

This simply shows, the people of the verge are the ones who didn't get the statement of pentagon correctly.

Posted via CB10
    It's typical internet reporting: half read whatever statement you're going to report on and then release an article that only reflects what you mistakenly read. Article goes online and then gets linked to by dozens of other sources who are also too lazy to do their due diligence. Finally, once the real story comes out everyone ends up looking slightly foolish, but everyone has already moved onto the next half truth article and flame wars in their comments so it's forgotten.

Maybe this whole loose structure of ADHD freelance writers and little to no editing and fact checking is doing us all a disservice. Had BlackBerry really sold 80,000 devices to DoD, wouldn't they have put out a press release? Shouldn't the original author, or someone looking to quote their story have done a little fact checking, or looked to see the original DoD release?

Sad truth is: all of these online sources pay writers to write so they throw a mishmash together and send it off. There's no time for real reporting online: by the time you do your due diligence the story is already old, or the real story has come out.

Posted via CB10
    undone and Karan Mohal like this.
    01-24-14 04:07 AM
    It's typical internet reporting: half read whatever statement you're going to report on and then release an article that only reflects what you mistakenly read. Article goes online and then gets linked to by dozens of other sources who are also too lazy to do their due diligence. Finally, once the real story comes out everyone ends up looking slightly foolish, but everyone has already moved onto the next half truth article and flame wars in their comments so it's forgotten.

Maybe this whole loose structure of ADHD freelance writers and little to no editing and fact checking is doing us all a disservice. Had BlackBerry really sold 80,000 devices to DoD, wouldn't they have put out a press release? Shouldn't the original author, or someone looking to quote their story have done a little fact checking, or looked to see the original DoD release?

Sad truth is: all of these online sources pay writers to write so they throw a mishmash together and send it off. There's no time for real reporting online: by the time you do your due diligence the story is already old, or the real story has come out.

Posted via CB10
    That's why I just laughed and never comment when someone told me that I'm stupid for not believing the "experts" or the online writers.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 04:32 AM
    I'm at a loss as to the point you're trying to make. BES10 and SCEP have no bearing on the topic at hand. The thread (and the article it referenced) addresses a misnomer that BBRY may or may not have sold 80k devices.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    The point is these are NOT BB10 devices, they are legacy BBOS devices that are connected to this MDM. DOD has hundreds of thousands already on hand. They would not need to purchase anything additional to support this. Also 100,000 devices is only the tip of the iceberg, so while BBOS devices make up the majority now, there is no guarantee that this will be the case even in the next couple of months, let alone the rest of the fiscal year. BB10 devices are a separate project that was started (and is ongoing) in parallel (well it started a bit ahead) to this Enterprise MDM project.
    01-24-14 06:28 AM
    Tell me about it. I've got a four year old laptop with missing keys and a four year old desktop. I've got a printer that regularly forgets that it's supposed to print.
    While not the case everywhere, it definitely does happen. Another big cause of waste is software, purchasing it just to have it and never using it. If only there was some sort of watchdog agency, or part of an agency that is supposed to prevent such things...
    01-24-14 06:30 AM
    The company in your avatar disagrees.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Do your homework first. Then come back to me. The reason why Iphones cost what they cost is because of support. Support is the #1 highest cost in many corporations. In top of that, Apple spends the most in support vs any other brand you can pop up in your head. Many investors think Apple spends too much and should cut down (just for profits sake)

Now, how much money does Apple make in services... iTunes, etc... app store, etc. The same goes to Google. Google sells the MotoX for pretty cheap knowing the services profit on turn around. Basically, Google calculates it's more profitable to move hardware at break even prices and make money on services long term. Blackberry has it's security business services and maybe I'm wrong but that's where most of the profits come from.

Anyone who thinks selling hardware to make profits is the way to go is completely wrong. Services is the profit maker.
    01-24-14 06:45 AM
    Chen and his communication team needs to communicate clarity of this DoD statement about the cell phone purchases

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 08:21 AM
    First comes BES 10 and like all government, munipal, police, health, military institutions the BB10 devices follow as the older ones reach end of life or are replaced for employees. I'm sure in the upcoming months (or a year or two) eventually all older devices (like Windows XP) will be fully replaced. That's cash in the horizon for BlackBerry and better security through the new OS (not that BBOS7 has an).

Looks like someone is up to no good to beat down more on BlackBerry.

Leave the company alone! :P
    Why are you so sure they are going to buy BB10 devices. The new system is being set up to also accommodate iOS and Android devices. I hope they purchase BB10 devices but suspect there will be some serious leakage and iOS and Android will start to make inroads into the BB10 monopoly.
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 01-24-14 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo
    01-24-14 09:35 AM
    So in Apple's case, the profits come from selling hardware, not selling apps or music or any other content.
    Thanks! I've seen that claimed a few times that Apple makes a fortune off of iTunes and the App Store, but most things I've read suggest it's probably run at a break even or (at best) slight profit basis. By the time all the licensing costs are factored in (music and music), credit card processing costs, distribution costs, testing costs, vetting costs etc, I doubt there's much of that 30% left over. Especially when you consider all the free content coming out of Apple's stores (that they still pay to distribute) or cheap .99 cent apps that probably lose money after the credit card fee, distribution costs, support costs.

The iTunes store and App Store primarily exist to sell high margin hardware, made higher by the fact that Apple also has their own distribution chain in the Apple Store chain.
    01-24-14 09:48 AM
    BlackBerry was and I believe still is offering to convert all the BBOS CALs on BES5 to BES10. I believe they are also offering to convert BBOS CALs to BB10 ones for free too. The BES10 software is a free download from BlackBerry. So what is there to order yet?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by lnichols; 01-24-14 at 10:44 AM.
    01-24-14 10:00 AM
    Yes... I believe Wiki and Rubber are right. I think I read somewhere that iTunes and Google Play don't pull in mega profits.
    01-24-14 10:01 AM
    The point is these are NOT BB10 devices, they are legacy BBOS devices that are connected to this MDM. DOD has hundreds of thousands already on hand. They would not need to purchase anything additional to support this. Also 100,000 devices is only the tip of the iceberg, so while BBOS devices make up the majority now, there is no guarantee that this will be the case even in the next couple of months, let alone the rest of the fiscal year. BB10 devices are a separate project that was started (and is ongoing) in parallel (well it started a bit ahead) to this Enterprise MDM project.
    Ah I get what you were saying. When I was reading yesterday, I must have been lost in a tangent or two reading the other replies. Re reading fresh this morning, I kinda confused myself reading my own reply. =/
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    01-24-14 10:07 AM
    Why are you so sure they are going to buy BB10 devices. The new system is being set up to also accommodate iOS and Android devices. I hope they purchase BB10 devices but suspect there will be some serious leakage and iOS and Android will start to make inroads into the BB10 monopoly.
    DoD already has BB10 devices and BES 10 floating around. Those systems were set up prior to the enterprise solution. It is also important to note that not everyone uses the enterprise solution, or even will going forward. Agencies can opt to support their own requirement.
    01-24-14 10:37 AM
    First comes BES 10 and like all government, munipal, police, health, military institutions the BB10 devices follow as the older ones reach end of life or are replaced for employees. I'm sure in the upcoming months (or a year or two) eventually all older devices (like Windows XP) will be fully replaced. That's cash in the horizon for BlackBerry and better security through the new OS (not that BBOS7 has an).

Looks like someone is up to no good to beat down more on BlackBerry.

Leave the company alone! :P
    Thanks for stating the obvious to those who don't get it. Short term, BES10 equates to monthly revenue; in the long term, BES drives new BB10 sales. Further, if your a private US contractor needing DOD access, guess what ecosystem you have to buy? That's another 2.5 million potential customers for BB. I bet that all of BB competitors get it.
    01-24-14 03:28 PM
    Because real security requires tight control over the server, the connections and the handset. Doing 2 out of the 3 doesn't cut it. Just ask the Germans about their Samsung debacle.
    01-24-14 03:32 PM
    Why would it matter if they purchased 80,000 BB? What matters is that revenu stream from the 100,000 devices + the publicity that this brings to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure it would matter to BB to make a dent in that huge warehouse full of outdated, unsold Z10's.
    JeepBB and cwalt2166 like this.
    01-24-14 04:23 PM

Anyone who thinks selling hardware to make profits is the way to go is completely wrong. Services is the profit maker.
    heard of samsung?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-24-14 04:42 PM
    Berry Flow on the Verge article: http://berryflow.com/presumably-4000...d-inventories/

Posted via CB10
    James Nieves likes this.
    01-24-14 11:21 PM
    Do your homework first. Then come back to me. The reason why Iphones cost what they cost is because of support. Support is the #1 highest cost in many corporations. In top of that, Apple spends the most in support vs any other brand you can pop up in your head. Many investors think Apple spends too much and should cut down (just for profits sake)

Now, how much money does Apple make in services... iTunes, etc... app store, etc. The same goes to Google. Google sells the MotoX for pretty cheap knowing the services profit on turn around. Basically, Google calculates it's more profitable to move hardware at break even prices and make money on services long term. Blackberry has it's security business services and maybe I'm wrong but that's where most of the profits come from.

Do my homework!?

Dude Apple became the most profitable company ever selling phones, tablets, and iPods. The services are free for Pete's sake! (Don't confuse the service (iTunes) with the product it sells (music.) )

"Do your homework."

You're funny!

Chaps like you are who make CrackBerry so awesomely entertaining for me. Thank you mate. Sincerely!

01-25-14 01:30 AM
    At this point, can I ask BlackBerry to roll over and die? Just give me the bootloader and OS signing keys to my PlayBook first.
    01-25-14 06:33 AM
    Do my homework!?

Dude Apple became the most profitable company ever selling phones, tablets, and iPods. The services are free for Pete's sake! (Don't confuse the service (iTunes) with the product it sells (music.) )

"Do your homework."

You're funny!

Chaps like you are who make CrackBerry so awesomely entertaining for me. Thank you mate. Sincerely!

Well Apple better keep selling at these margins or else...while the market waits for new products....China better also pan out !

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 09:08 AM
    I find it interesting that the article says they (the DoD) just have a boatload of BB legacy devices (80,000) sitting around in DOD inventory. I wonder who The Verge's DoD source is?

"The 80,000 BBs and 1,800 non-BB devices referenced in the release are legacy systems already in DoD inventories."

Who the hell would over order that many extra phones ????

And the fact that BB hasn't made a press release is because maybe just maybe the DoD has ask them not to...

The Verge.. smh...
    LOL. Yeah, that is a lot. Our agency upgraded to the iPhone a few years ago. Sad part, for five years prior, the last upgrade was the 8310/8330, from the 8300. At the same time, I upgraded 7xx/8300 to an 8100, 8310, 9000, 9700, 9800, 9810, prior to my Z10/Q10. So, in the past, as long as 'the powers that be" could receive texts and emails, and occasionally, web-surfing(minimal), most are not concerned with upgrading the devices and/or the OS. At least that is the way the agency I work for handles technology. Granted, I've been there 18 years and seen a lot of changes. LOL, I do remember when we had a storage room of antiquated(non-upgradeable)T.I.(Texas Instruments) Laptops, along with several 1,000 Dell Hand-held devices, and thousands of older model BlackBerries.....as a State agency. So, I would not be surprised if the Feds had that many within one agency.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-25-14 11:30 AM
    LOL. Yeah, that is a lot. Our agency upgraded to the iPhone a few years ago. Sad part, for five years prior, the last upgrade was the 8310/8330, from the 8300. At the same time, I upgraded 7xx/8300 to an 8100, 8310, 9000, 9700, 9800, 9810, prior to my Z10/Q10. So, in the past, as long as 'the powers that be" could receive texts and emails, and occasionally, web-surfing(minimal), most are not concerned with upgrading the devices and/or the OS. At least that is the way the agency I work for handles technology. Granted, I've been there 18 years and seen a lot of changes. LOL, I do remember when we had a storage room of antiquated(non-upgradeable)T.I.(Texas Instruments) Laptops, along with several 1,000 Dell Hand-held devices, and thousands of older model BlackBerries.....as a State agency. So, I would not be surprised if the Feds had that many within one agency.
    From the Employers point of view (or government) the old Legacy BlackBerry's get the job done in most cases - phone and email. The more advance devices are just time wasters in some of their eyes, they haven't found a usefulness for the advance features of more modern devices. But there are some companies and agencies that are implementing their own applications for mobile and do need more modern devices.... unfortunately their vehicle of choice is the iPhone. Not sure if BlackBerry is to late too the party.... but they are differently late and having some problem getting in.
    01-25-14 11:43 AM
    It's significantly more than 40k BB10 devices. Army alone wanted 100k last year.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 06:50 PM
76 1234