While that's true, many people will just think "Why should I buy a Z10 just to run Android apps, when I can just buy an Android phone and run them natively?"

Blackberry needs more native apps - there's no way around it. It will NOT survive otherwise.
    Yep this.BB should just remake the app or repackage with our framework might not be stable.But this porting is not a good message.
    The cyborg player is a double edge sword.I can say its only done well on the games which do make most money on platforms everthing else seems self harming they gonna have to push out new guidelines on ports force framework at most allow swipe gestures/peek and flow and contextual menus.

I dont know its double edge sword.Non native apps on the phone or even tablet do suck.But as a computing platform dont it makes sense to play everything not have an almost closed off inviroment current Os have??.The ideal OS is one with high grade hardware and and one that plays everything.If you had a laptop that let you use Mac,MS,Linux any apps would'nt you like that?? I think thats where BB want to go with the m2m grand plan..

I dont know its quite a mess really and double edge sword all round.We get the apps but user experience is garbage.I think thats the main problem the UX sucks on ports.As good as textgram is the ux is poor the app not very reposensive its getting unistalled by me after this post.At least add some of the framework to the port cause it does'nt flow the navigation is garbage.

No swipy,no likie.BB have to put out new guidelines on ports.Make sure apps meet requirement of the framework.Menus,swiping and peek minimum.Not this angle gesture to go back.That gesture should be used to bring out keyboard anyway.

Webapps need to be pushed asap.Thank f8ck my apps are just tool apps like tube mabs,cabs and I got a fast browser to do with everything else.I dont like begging or asking for things when in a sh1t position must be annoying being on the bb app team running around begging devs for apps.
    02-23-13 12:58 PM

I don't use instagram but my wife wanted that app. I think the types who use those apps don't care or know what a ported app is. As long as it works its fine. Please watch above video.
    That is one funny Video. No matter what your take on Instagram is watch this and have a laugh.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    02-23-13 12:59 PM
    And then people will not buy blackberry because it is missing app! It is never ending discussion. Native or not the important point is that apps are available.
    The lambda customer just want to know if his favorites app are available to buy the devices. He will even do not know the difference between android port and native. He just want the app, that's it.
    After that if the phones are success and market share growing, developers will spend time to create native one.
    Then it is the responsibility of developers to do what is necessary to provide a good experience when it is a port.
    If the ported app is sluggish and doesn't run right - then it's a total turn-off. They won't be happy to know that it runs much better on an android phone.

The phones won't be a success without the apps, so Blackberry doesn't have the option to wait a year or two for a pickup in native apps.

Something needs to be done NOW to get developers on board. Whatever they're doing probably isn't enough.

It's a chicken-egg situation in a way.... without the apps, there won't be people buying Z10's - and developers won't make apps if there aren't enough Z10 owners.
    Out of the two, Blackberry has a better chance at getting developers to make apps than they do at getting more Z10 owners... so they obviously have some work to do at convincing developers.
    02-23-13 01:48 PM
    Exhibit A
    This is the problem with ported apps.
    Attached Thumbnails Article: Native Instagram App Is Not Coming to BlackBerry 10-uploadfromtaptalk1361649231849.jpg  
    randall2580 likes this.
    02-23-13 01:54 PM
    Exhibit A
    There are already a lot of videos on YouTube of people wondering why their z10 is sluggish and not knowing that they're even using a ported app. All they know is the phone is slow while they're using it. Then they watch videos of the same apps being smooth on android and iOS and write bad reviews of the z10 saying its slow. This may smooth over when BB updates the dalvik engine to jelly bean, maybe not.
    02-23-13 02:14 PM
    This will probably push the developer to create a native one! It is what I'm hoping.
    02-23-13 02:34 PM
    Exhibit A
    Note the overall rating though

Sent from owning you using Tapatalk 2
    schmeat likes this.
    02-23-13 02:58 PM
    There are already a lot of videos on YouTube of people wondering why their z10 is sluggish and not knowing that they're even using a ported app. All they know is the phone is slow while they're using it. Then they watch videos of the same apps being smooth on android and iOS and write bad reviews of the z10 saying its slow. This may smooth over when BB updates the dalvik engine to jelly bean, maybe not.
    Probably not. Just having to load Dalvik to host an Android app is going to take up a bunch of memory, I would guess. It's almost like running a whole Android device within the BB10 OS.

And I assume the Android apps have to have a private memory address space too, which means that BB10 can't borrow that memory if needed elsewhere, like it can do for native apps, or as Android can do for managing resource-contention with other Android apps.

If both Dalvik and BB10 were running as VMs that would solve the issue, at the cost of slowing down the performance of native BB10.
    randall2580 likes this.
    02-23-13 04:05 PM
108 ... 345