Im really not sure what is going on with Kevin and his instagram post. He first fired off on a report that Instagram wasnt coming with " If Instagram doesnt come to BB10 then Ill buy someone here a car!" Then it was "He never said at launch" Then it was "Okay I never said what kind of car so here is a remote control toy car" Then there was a post something to the effect of "were there's a will there's a way"(with photo of instagram on Z10) This got everyone excited as Kevin had an "early beta version" of Instagram on his Z10 already and people now knew it was coming but didnt know if Kevins app was native or Android.I think some folks pointed out that it HAD to be native because of X-Y and Z. Then this guy post the article yesterday stating that instagram wasnt coming to BB10 as a native app and may never come at all..right away Kevin fires back again with mysterious photo of Instagram running on his Z10..The CrackBerry nation cheered retweeted and wrote about Kevins triumphant victory. Then Kevin post this article shortly afterCrackBerry Asks: How would you feel about Instagram for BlackBerry 10 being an Android port? | CrackBerry.comWhich leads me to this question: We all know Kevin is NOT one of those folks who "dont give a damn about posting what they had for lunch to instagram" in fact he just loves him some instagram and obviosly wants it badly on BB10, but just how bad? Its time to come clean imo. Does Kevin have a early beta version of instagram on his Z10? Yes, he has never said that he does but his post and random photos of it on his Z10 suggests that he does,so much in fact that that all of CrackBerry was under the assumption that Instagram on BlackBerry was a done deal and we were just waiting for the launch. I have to say that Im not so sure now. So how about it Kevin? Whats with the photos of instagram on your Z10? Do you have it or not? Please no one flame me either. This is Kevins site but he puts his pants on the same way that we all do and I should be able to ask him a illegitimate question without be labeled as a troll or hater. I just want to know if Instagram is a done deal or do we BlackBerry users need to continue to reach out to instagram in hopes that they develop for the platform.
    Yeah...sensitive subject here. I am taking from his blog, that in fact, it is a ported version coming, and so AllthingsD were right. Not sure what was with the pic - maybe Kevin wasn't trying to refute the article but....supporting it? Anyways, it made a lot of people look stupid when they then turned on allthingsD with attacks - as is so often the case, over-the-top attacks. Pretty weird stuff.
    02-22-13 04:52 PM
    Im really not sure what is going on with Kevin and his instagram post. He first fired off on a report that Instagram wasnt coming with " If Instagram doesnt come to BB10 then Ill buy someone here a car!" Then it was "He never said at launch" Then it was "Okay I never said what kind of car so here is a remote control toy car" Then there was a post something to the effect of "were there's a will there's a way"(with photo of instagram on Z10) This got everyone excited as Kevin had an "early beta version" of Instagram on his Z10 already and people now knew it was coming but didnt know if Kevins app was native or Android.I think some folks pointed out that it HAD to be native because of X-Y and Z. Then this guy post the article yesterday stating that instagram wasnt coming to BB10 as a native app and may never come at all..right away Kevin fires back again with mysterious photo of Instagram running on his Z10..The CrackBerry nation cheered retweeted and wrote about Kevins triumphant victory. Then Kevin post this article shortly afterCrackBerry Asks: How would you feel about Instagram for BlackBerry 10 being an Android port? | CrackBerry.comWhich leads me to this question: We all know Kevin is NOT one of those folks who "dont give a damn about posting what they had for lunch to instagram" in fact he just loves him some instagram and obviosly wants it badly on BB10, but just how bad? Its time to come clean imo. Does Kevin have a early beta version of instagram on his Z10? Yes, he has never said that he does but his post and random photos of it on his Z10 suggests that he does,so much in fact that that all of CrackBerry was under the assumption that Instagram on BlackBerry was a done deal and we were just waiting for the launch. I have to say that Im not so sure now. So how about it Kevin? Whats with the photos of instagram on your Z10? Do you have it or not? Please no one flame me either. This is Kevins site but he puts his pants on the same way that we all do and I should be able to ask him a illegitimate question without be labeled as a troll or hater. I just want to know if Instagram is a done deal or do we BlackBerry users need to continue to reach out to instagram in hopes that they develop for the platform.
    I agree with this 100%. I also agreed with you in the Blog post comments before this. Time to come clean. Don't really understand the point of the picture response of instagram running on a z10. The author clearly admitted a port may be coming and I think the fair assumption is that posting a picture with no text by Kevin is a refuting post. But what was being refuted? It seems to me the response would have made more sense to an article stating no port is coming.

I am also disappointed with the whole car give a way. It's a real fiasco. Kevin was asked in the comments of another post a few months ago about what car it would be and he actually gave a specific model and the reasoning for it, believe it was some car from the 80's because of the hair. I am not mistaken about a model being given I remember it clearly. I don't think anyone else has remembered or posted that. It's nice that a remote car is being given away. But changing the stance through little loopholes is not nice.

I miss the days where Kevin told us everything he knew. And for the record the allure of not knowing is not what keeps me coming back to the site. That is the only reason I can think of for him not telling us, so that there is something to come back for and "Look forward to "
    02-22-13 05:05 PM
    i doubt it's coming. it took android forever to get a version, despite the fact android had twice the marketshare as iOS. with blackberry around 4% marketshare, it'll probably be years before instagram considers it worthwhile to hire people to make a native app when they can quickly port it.
    02-22-13 06:56 PM
    Yes yes and double yes couldn't agree more!

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 07:43 PM
    Really? Why are people second guessing Kevin's post on the ATD article?

Worst case scenario, Kevin might have succumbed to a moment of being snarky while under the impression he had more info than he actually did. Perhaps he actually believed there was going to be a native app. Perhaps he had a few drinks in him. Who cares?

Kevin is just as human as the rest of us. Point is... The article has proven to be pretty accurate (opinion portions aside). Yet CB members are so desperate to vilify their vociferous loyalty to all things BlackBerry, they're now willing to call out Kevin as if he's betrayed his congregation.

Occam's razor people. Simplest answer is probably the truth. Kevin leapt before he looked. Whoopdy Friggin Doo. Based on how often the average user on these forums does the same, Kevin is still ahead of the game by a long shot. Get over it. There's nothing being hidden from you.

No explanation is needed on his part beyond what he's already posted on the blog.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    02-22-13 08:46 PM
    No explanation needed on his part yet you felt the need to explain quite a few possible scenerios for him? I'm very sorry if my post struck a nerve with you. It wasn't an attack by any means just simply wrote what many people are thinking. Kevin seems like a cool guy and I have nothing against him at all. I actually admire very much what he's built here and what he's done for mobile device lovers such as myself. He is active in the forums and with the community and I don't see what if anything was wrong with my post. I agree Kevin is human like the rest of us and I also think that he is a grown man and can handle answering a simple question by himself. There is no need to come to his defense because no one is attacking him...understand? The fact is that many of us are a bit confused and just want some clarification. That is all.

Let's get this straight while we are at it. I enjoy CrackBerry and I rely on Kevin and his team for information about my choice platform. I am by no means "desperate" and I don't appreciate you implying that some of us are. I also don't know who you think you are but I will decide when and what to "get over".

If this was anyone else the forums would want answers/proof/accountability and it wouldn't be a problem. You yourself said Kevin is human afterall so why do you feel the need to insult people because they simply wanted some clarification? Do you jump down everyone's throat when they ask a question on these forums or is it just because its Kevin? Some may view that as a bit of brown nosing but I don't know you so I won't pass judgment.

Anyway as a CrackBerry reader I feel that I've done nothing out of line by saying what everyone else was thinking and its just a shame that some folks in here feel they need protect Kevin like he's being attacked or something lol. You got wannbe bodyguards and cheerleaders insulting the very readers that make Crackberry possible all because someone asked Kevin if he had instagram on his Z10. What a freaking joke!

If somebody is posting pics of Netflix on a Z10 its not a problem to dig deep into it and find out if its for real or not (BlackBerryScoop) Nope no problem with that at all but because I asked Kevin if he really had a version of instagram on his Z10 I am a desperate something something and I need to get over it lol come on man Kevin don't need you sticking up for him as I said it was not an attack, but even if it was don't you think the man can handle things himself? He does run a mobile internet empire afterall. I'm sure you earned some brownie points though and for that you get a "good game" and a "thataboy" congratulations.
    02-22-13 10:19 PM
    i doubt it's coming. it took android forever to get a version, despite the fact android had twice the marketshare as iOS. with blackberry around 4% marketshare, it'll probably be years before instagram considers it worthwhile to hire people to make a native app when they can quickly port it.
    Don't forget who owns Instagram....
    02-22-13 10:42 PM
    Don't forget who owns Instagram....
    Facebook. A company who has never developed an in-house Facebook app for BlackBerry.
    02-22-13 11:33 PM
    This is the Playbook drama all over again.
    People getting excited with a great piece of hardware and BBs promise of a plethora of apps "soon". Then nothing. After a 1 year wait we got a buggy android app player that created more problems than it solved. If this is the path the Z10 is taking I'm afraid it will become the plaything of a bunch of hardcore crackberrites and nothing else.
    I am holding out to buying a Z10 until true BB apps come and I want BB to succeed badly. But if at this stage of the game they still underestimate the importance of apps I think they are doomed.

Ex curve, storm 2 and happy owner of 2 playbooks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Stephen Cooper and Admorris like this.
    02-23-13 12:20 AM
    This is Crackberry and you all still don't understand. You know the android app player? It's a VM. Just like dalvik. Dalvik runs all apps on Android. Therefore the experience would be just as smooth on a Z10 as on Android as long as the app player is coded well. Think of it less as an android app and more as a java app which happens to be largely code from an Android project.
    02-23-13 12:31 AM
    I think the problem perhaps is that people assumed that Instagram would be coming as a native app. Just see all the speculations, prime example, "the image kevin posted has no back arrow whereas the Android version does".

Article: Native Instagram App Is Not Coming to BlackBerry 10-1.jpg
    Left is my Nexus 4, right is Kevin's post.

But as mentioned a few dozen posts ago, I was not under the impression that it would be Native. Or for a matter of fact no one actually said that it was. Speculations simply ran wild, and people believe what they want to believe. Logically, there would be no reason to assume that Instagram would go to the trouble of making a native app, at least not at this point of time as far as I can see. BB10 is still a new platform, barely a few months old. If the app isn't even on WP yet, a platform that has been around for a couple of years. Even WP8 has been out for a couple of months and there isn't a whiff about Instagram, citing lack of resources as a reason. So the only logical way that we'll see Instagram on BB10 would naturally be an Android port. Presumably reworked with the help of BlackBerry to be on BB10. Similar to Skype. Does MS not have the resources to build a native app? Of course they do. But do they want to invest that much into BB10, I would assume not. Same goes presumably for Instagram.

Of course this is if Instagram does indeed comes to BB10. I would love a Native, but I just don't see it happening. I would happy to be proven wrong. At this point, I just hope that "IF" indeed an Android port Instagram is in the works, it will be available with US launch. If you ask me, its better to have something rather than nothing. I would be damned if BlackBerry didn't try to optimse the app to run as smoothly as they can for BB10. But that said, that is provided that an Instagram app is really in the works.
    02-23-13 12:40 AM
    No explanation needed on his part yet you felt the need to explain quite a few possible scenerios for him?
    I just chucked out a few random scenarios... I could just have easily produced a dozen more. So what?

The fact is that many of us are a bit confused and just want some clarification. That is all.
    What is there to clarify? It's all there on the front page for all to read, should anybody care to read it.

If this was anyone else the forums would want answers/proof/accountability and it wouldn't be a problem. You yourself said Kevin is human afterall so why do you feel the need to insult people because they simply wanted some clarification? Do you jump down everyone's throat when they ask a question on these forums or is it just because its Kevin? Some may view that as a bit of brown nosing but I don't know you so I won't pass judgment.
    Kindly point out where I insulted anybody. Really... I'd like to see where I threw out any insults. You may not have enjoyed reading what I had to say... but that doesn't equate to being an insult.

Anyway as a CrackBerry reader I feel that I've done nothing out of line by saying what everyone else was thinking and its just a shame that some folks in here feel they need protect Kevin like he's being attacked or something lol. You got wannbe bodyguards and cheerleaders insulting the very readers that make Crackberry possible all because someone asked Kevin if he had instagram on his Z10. What a freaking joke!
    The fallacy here is that you're assuming that what you're thinking is the same as what everybody else is thinking. This is inherently untrue since there are some of us who see it differently and don't see the devil where he doesn't exist. Again you throw out the insinuation of an insult... by all means... please... point out the insult.

If somebody is posting pics of Netflix on a Z10 its not a problem to dig deep into it and find out if its for real or not (BlackBerryScoop) Nope no problem with that at all but because I asked Kevin if he really had a version of instagram on his Z10 I am a desperate something something and I need to get over it lol come on man Kevin don't need you sticking up for him as I said it was not an attack, but even if it was don't you think the man can handle things himself? He does run a mobile internet empire afterall. I'm sure you earned some brownie points though and for that you get a "good game" and a "thataboy" congratulations.
    Anybody that's seen me on these forums over the last 4-5 years can vouch that I'm never out for brownie points.

All I did was call out a rant that was completely unfounded, unreasonable, and quite frankly, nothing more than an unfounded rage.
    02-23-13 02:32 AM
    I just chucked out a few random scenarios... I could just have easily produced a dozen more. So what?

What is there to clarify? It's all there on the front page for all to read, should anybody care to read it.

Kindly point out where I insulted anybody. Really... I'd like to see where I threw out any insults. You may not have enjoyed reading what I had to say... but that doesn't equate to being an insult.

The fallacy here is that you're assuming that what you're thinking is the same as what everybody else is thinking. This is inherently untrue since there are some of us who see it differently and don't see the devil where he doesn't exist. Again you throw out the insinuation of an insult... by all means... please... point out the insult.

Anybody that's seen me on these forums over the last 4-5 years can vouch that I'm never out for brownie points.

All I did was call out a rant that was completely unfounded, unreasonable, and quite frankly, nothing more than an unfounded rage.
    1. Random scenarios IS explaining for him. "So what" you say? You gave explanations and yet you say it is not necessary. Thats what.

2. "What is there to clarify"? hmmmm. What instagram he has on his z10??? This is not listed on home page as you say.

3. Saying we "called out" Kevin and want to "vilify" is insulting to me as it is not true. Calling out is not the same as asking for information.

4. He is thinking what I am thinking. And reading through blog comments A LOT of others are thinking this too. Enough to warrant BB-Bmore's post. This thread has four pages because people are interested in the app.

5. Unfounded? Rant? It was reasonable questions by him. It went from free car if its not coming (its coming), to well I didn't say car at launch (maybe not coming), to the car is a remote control car (maybe not coming), to "where theres a will theres a way" (seemingly its coming), and then seemingly refuting the article that there will not be a native version (seemingly coming), then asking us what we would think of a port (seemingly not coming). Back and forth. That is sufficient foundation for a post requesting clarification. So unfounded? No. It certainly was not a rant, or rage, or unreasonable based on what seems like to both BB-Bmore and I back and forth action. It is in no way rage at Kevin. The fact that he is even giving away a remote control car is above and beyond anything expected. But the clarity on the app is not.

I personally believe he is holding out on telling us it will not be native until after US launch, so those on the fence may buy the z10 with "hope" on a native instagram. I do not like having these assumptions and would not have them if we knew what was going on.
    JeepBB and Toodeurep like this.
    02-23-13 03:58 AM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Blackberry has already publicly stated that Instagram WILL be available by the time of the March USA Launch ... don't know why so many posts ....
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    02-23-13 04:01 AM
    Android player is the biggest mistake BlackBerry has made in the recent years, it's a crutch and it will be the downfall of BlackBerry. Give it 2 years and you will see. Putting so much in to the player BlackBerry is admitting their ecosystem doesn't have what it takes to attract developers to create native apps.
    barragan and Admorris like this.
    02-23-13 06:36 AM
    Android player is the biggest mistake BlackBerry has made in the recent years, it's a crutch and it will be the downfall of BlackBerry. Give it 2 years and you will see. Putting so much in to the player BlackBerry is admitting their ecosystem doesn't have what it takes to attract developers to create native apps.
    I agree that it's a crutch... but I shudder to think where BB would now be without it.

40% of the 70k Apps in their BB10 eco-system are Android Apps, as it seems increasingly likely will be the "must have" Apps such as Instagram they are banking on to attract buyers.
    02-23-13 07:43 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is a POSIX Operating System. Means that apps can be written in many ways. Apps for Unix, IOS, Android, Windows, can be ported for BlackBerry 10 used.

There is nothing wrong with android player. We just don't have deep understanding about why BlackBerry put Android Player into BlackBerry 10.

I myself agree with BlackBerry decision to put Android Player into BlackBerry 10. Because I still can use many of my android apps at Z10.

Yes, the ported apps are not as good as native one. But it's better than nothing, none, empty.
    02-23-13 08:16 AM

There is nothing wrong with android player.

Yes, the ported apps are not as good as native one. But it's better than nothing, none, empty.
    Let's all just re-read what you are saying..

the fact that ported apps are not as good as native ones is exactly what's wrong with the android player. Once the developer has ported the app, what incentive does he have to make a native one. All it leads to is a bad experience for the user. Do you really think the average user will be forgiving for the poor experience just because it's a ported app?
    barragan and Stephen Cooper like this.
    02-23-13 08:30 AM
    Blackberry has already publicly stated that Instagram WILL be available by the time of the March USA Launch ... don't know why so many posts ....
    Can you link that?
    02-23-13 09:48 AM

the fact that ported apps are not as good as native ones is exactly what's wrong with the android player. Once the developer has ported the app, what incentive does he have to make a native one. All it leads to is a bad experience for the user. Do you really think the average user will be forgiving for the poor experience just because it's a ported app?
    At this stage of the game, with RIM late to the party, they had no choice but to go the Android player route. It gives them a fighting chance to quickly build up their ecosystem. Devs can use the player to quickly port their apps over and "dip their toe into BB10" so to speak. If there is money to be made in BB10, then you better believe these same devs will invest in native apps that offer the potential for greater profits.

You obviously hate the Android player, but I ask you, what is the alternative? Assume no Android player existed. Do you think we'd be getting Skype, or any of the other apps that are rumoured to be coming for US launch? Probably not. Then where would that leave BB10? DOA is where.

Instead of complaining, just stop and think of it from a business perspective. Imagine you are senior executive at RIM.
    aragone79 likes this.
    02-23-13 09:51 AM

Just re-read it again and again. There's nothing wrong in it. As I say. Better to have ported apps than no app at all.
    02-23-13 10:01 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is a POSIX Operating System. Means that apps can be written in many ways. Apps for Unix, IOS, Android, Windows, can be ported for BlackBerry 10 used.

There is nothing wrong with android player. We just don't have deep understanding about why BlackBerry put Android Player into BlackBerry 10.

I myself agree with BlackBerry decision to put Android Player into BlackBerry 10. Because I still can use many of my android apps at Z10.

Eh? Of course we do - it was to provide so that the OS could be parasitic off the back of the android ecosystem.
    02-23-13 10:56 AM
    Eh? Of course we do - it was to provide so that the OS could be parasitic off the back of the android ecosystem.
    I've always believed that the Android Player was basically developed as a lark by a RIM Softie showing-off his technical prowess to his mates, and it was never meant to escape into the wild!

Of course, once it had escaped (in a PB OS Beta IIRC), the genie was out of the lamp and could never be stuffed back. The Android player was a godsend to PB owners like me who were tired of waiting for Apps like Kindle to arrive natively.

So, it was a happy accident rather than being part of a cunning plan IMHO.

Tho' I take your point @cgk... damned lucky that it's there so that BB10 can repeat the PB story and leech good Android Apps!
    02-23-13 11:08 AM
    Just re-read it again and again. There's nothing wrong in it. As I say. Better to have ported apps than no app at all.
    While that's true, many people will just think "Why should I buy a Z10 just to run Android apps, when I can just buy an Android phone and run them natively?"

Blackberry needs more native apps - there's no way around it. It will NOT survive otherwise.
    02-23-13 11:15 AM
    While that's true, many people will just think "Why should I buy a Z10 just to run Android apps, when I can just buy an Android phone and run them natively?"

Blackberry needs more native apps - there's no way around it. It will NOT survive otherwise.
    And then people will not buy blackberry because it is missing app! It is never ending discussion. Native or not the important point is that apps are available.
    The lambda customer just want to know if his favorites app are available to buy the devices. He will even do not know the difference between android port and native. He just want the app, that's it.
    After that if the phones are success and market share growing, developers will spend time to create native one.
    Then it is the responsibility of developers to do what is necessary to provide a good experience when it is a port.
    02-23-13 12:04 PM
108 ... 2345