BlackBerry Monza/Storm 3/Touch 9680 shows up again – is this the first QNX handset? – News - Know Your Mobile

He wants comments:
    n image, reported to be of the BlackBerry Monza/Storm 3/Touch 9680, has appeared online � is a launch imminent, or is this the first QNX RIM handset?

Published on May 11, 2011

An image that is suspected to be the third-generation BlackBerry Storm � AKA the Monza or Touch 9680 � has appeared online, leading to speculation of an imminent release date.

But could this also be the first QNX-powered handset from RIM?

Remember the BlackBerry Storm? You know, the one with the rubbish SurePress technology. Well, it looks like RIM is gearing up to release a third edition to its Storm range � and this time, thankfully, there�s now SurePress present.

We have seen this handset before, but it was quite a while back now. But the fact that it has appeared online, once again, makes us think RIM has a release in the works.

Obviously, there�s been no official comment from within RIM HQ � no self-respecting company comments on rumour, after all.

The new image may only show the bottom half of the device, but what is notable is the missing red and green call buttons, which is the same set up as found on the Bold 9900.

In terms of specs, Pocket-Lint says the device will be packing a 1.2GHz CPU, 3.7-inch 800x400 display and 768MB of RAM.

There are also reports of the device featuring a 5-megapixel camera, 720p video recording and even an NFC chip.

One thing we can�t help thinking though is this: could this be the first QNX-powered BlackBerry smartphone? RIM has said the first device on this platform will be an all touchscreen affair. So, Maybe.

What do you think? Do we have any BlackBerry enthusiasts out there that�d like to share their opinions re: QNX and when it�ll appear on smartphones.
    I think that's a no but who knows these days with RIM.
    05-11-11 02:13 PM
    I highly doubt they would be able to pull off the release that fast, unless the phone was pushed back to next year, which is also unlikely since they need a touch-only release...
    05-11-11 02:14 PM
    It's definitely not the Tablet OS with QNX. It could have the micro kernel running a BBOS or components of the OS on top, but from what I've seen in the pics and videos its just OS7
    05-11-11 02:18 PM
    I guarantee you RIM still has NO idea how they are going to put that OS onto a phone.
    big_time2 and Pithex like this.
    05-11-11 02:46 PM
    I think calling that thing an article is rather generous, random collection of clueless guesses and inaccuracies would be a better description.
    Machzy likes this.
    05-11-11 02:53 PM
    I think calling that thing an article is rather generous, random collection of clueless guesses and inaccuracies would be a better description.
    Agreed. This guy is taking multiple stabs in the dark, and I think he may be missing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-11 03:12 PM
    That pretty well sums up most of "journalism" today.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    05-11-11 04:18 PM
    The guy is on crack if he thinks QNX is going to show up on the Monaco
    05-11-11 05:40 PM
    or Monaca even.
    05-11-11 05:55 PM
    05-11-11 06:50 PM
    No. Just, no...

Even if they could put QNX on this device. Does it sound like a good move? Release, what, 3 phones(?) with an obsolete OS and at the same time release a phone with a brand new OS that everyone wants? Lol. QNX will make its way eventually, but not like that lol.
    05-11-11 08:46 PM
    Monza/Monaco is NOT running QNX. I've used it, it's BB OS 6.1/7 or whatever they're calling it today
    05-11-11 09:22 PM
    whatever they are calling it (Storm/Monaco/Touch) It will not be QNX. That is ANOTHER release away in 1012. That being said, I'm still going to get one, and it will be a HUGE upgrade from my Storm2. What worries me is that OS7 won't be upgradeable to OS8, and I will have to buy another BB next year. One thing is for sure, when the QNX phone does come out, they better get it right the first time...IMO
    05-12-11 01:04 PM
    whatever they are calling it (Storm/Monaco/Touch) It will not be QNX. That is ANOTHER release away in 1012. That being said, I'm still going to get one, and it will be a HUGE upgrade from my Storm2. What worries me is that OS7 won't be upgradeable to OS8, and I will have to buy another BB next year. One thing is for sure, when the QNX phone does come out, they better get it right the first time...IMO
    Well, you won't have to. If it were me and I was under contract with an OS7 device, I'd probably be happy to allow 6-12 months go by and let the early adopters deal with the frustrations. Then buy one when it's been updated or a 2nd gen device is released.
    05-12-11 02:15 PM
    I guarantee you RIM still has NO idea how they are going to put that OS onto a phone.
    I guarantee they know and they have it running on a phone. Probably not too well yet but I guarantee its running in some sort.
    05-12-11 06:57 PM
    If my crackberry had qnx, I would be using pidgin messenger and cheese to grab photos/videos and IMing people.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-11 08:39 PM
    I hope they take their good ole time testing QNX on these phones before rushing them out if it is true......I dont want another S1 debacle on our hands....

Heck os7 might not even run that well, lol!
    05-12-11 11:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD