What can they be showing that gives others ideas? There isn't going to be anything that's going to make the competition go "oh, let's steal that!" just by looking at a single picture. It can be images taken by RIM themselves showing exactly what they want to be showing - and nothing they don't want the competition to see (if that's an issue).

A picture gets RIM some free positive publicity when they really need it... to help in any way possible from the exodus that's happening. It'll get printed in more newspapers and put up on more websites than the news of some people seeing it. Pictures are more effective than words.
    It's already getting positive publicity - from the media that was invited into that room. There is no point in showing anything to the public until closer to launch. Right now RIM is courting the tech press, which is the right move at this point in time. Those tech writers say they are impressed. I think that's pretty positive in terms of publicity.

Closer to the launch date, I'm sure we'll see more in terms of BB10. I don't think you're in any better a position to declare that there is nothing in BB10 that a competitor might want to steal - unless you know more than the rest of us?
    08-24-12 03:29 PM
    RIM showed off parts of BB10 in May.
    The 2 things they showed off were:
    1. BB10 keyboard - Within 2 weeks it was mimic'd in the iPhone with the "Octobpus" keyboard
    2. BB10 Camera - Within 2 weeks HTC announced that they were talking with Scalio (whatever their name is) to bring that BB10 feature to HTC phones. Then Nokia went & purchased the entire company.

& That's why RIM has to be carefull on what they show. If they show great stuff & then the competition bring it out B4 them, or shortly after them, it will greatly diminish BB10
    Neely2005 likes this.
    08-24-12 03:51 PM
    what abotu the way apple did it, aand still do it, their users are constantly boosting about apples product to other smartphone users, like BlackBerry. my sister is an iPhone4S user and every time my dad complains about something she says BlackBerry sucks get an iPhone.
    OH FFS! Why is EVERYTHING an opportunity for you to slam Apple and their customers.

Your sister and the people YOU encounter do NOT represent the whole of Apple users. We get it you hate Apple but Apple has nothing at all to do with this discussion.
    08-24-12 03:56 PM
    RIM showed off parts of BB10 in May.
    The 2 things they showed off were:
    1. BB10 keyboard - Within 2 weeks it was mimic'd in the iPhone with the "Octobpus" keyboard
    2. BB10 Camera - Within 2 weeks HTC announced that they were talking with Scalio (whatever their name is) to bring that BB10 feature to HTC phones. Then Nokia went & purchased the entire company.

& That's why RIM has to be carefull on what they show. If they show great stuff & then the competition bring it out B4 them, or shortly after them, it will greatly diminish BB10

i do believe i saw a blog about the keypad technology being patented so i doubt it will ever be sold
    08-24-12 04:02 PM
    This is great news and all, but I'm not getting my hopes up again when it comes to RIM. I plan on keeping my expectations as low as humanly possible.

I remember how excited I (and many others) was in the months leading up to the PlayBook launch. A lot of people were saying it would be the first real iPad competitor. Everything about the PlayBook seemed amazing before it launched, then it went out into the wild and turned out to be kinda meh. I remember the same thing happening with the first versions of the Storm and Torch.
    08-24-12 04:08 PM
    What kind of apps are you meaning?

I'm sure the important business and personal productivity type apps will be readily available. Games and such might take a bit longer, but for most people who use it for its intended purpose that shouldn't be a big deal I wouldn't think..... When I first got my iPhone, I downloaded a bunch of games and other apps that I found I rarely use anyway once the novelty word off... However, I'm confident that those with an excess of time on their hand will continue whining about a lack of that "crap."

R...

I think the apps are more relevant to folks who might be switching to the new iPhone next month than the BB10 hardware.

If RIM can guarantee the big name apps will be available, it could slow the churn.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    08-24-12 04:17 PM
    The article mentions a 1280 x 768 screen, but i thought RIM confirmed a 1280 x 720 screen? As a developer it makes a big difference where UI design is concerned.
    08-24-12 04:37 PM
    You kinda get the sense that RIM is finally learning who needs to be targeted for pre-release reviews/feedback, and just as importantly the timing involved. Their marketing people had better have their ducks in a row also, that end is going to be the deciding factor unfortunately.

People complaining about not having seen anything until now, before the carriers even get a hand on it, are complaining because they have nothing tangible to complain about and thereby try to shift the conversation towards other devices...as they have done around here for months.

Good show, RIM. Keep it up.
    08-24-12 04:52 PM
    This review is very promising. Who RIM tries to "target", whether it be current BlackBerry or iPhone/Android users is irrelevant to me. If the phone suits my needs, I'll be buying it.
    08-24-12 05:50 PM
    It's great news... But make me think... Maybe there is a possibilty to the BB10 be ready sooner than later... I mean if they have the HW ready, and the SW is ready enough to show it to the press and carriers, there is a good chance they have the phone more ready than all we thought.

Regards from Mexico
    08-24-12 05:56 PM
    It's great news... But make me think... Maybe there is a possibilty to the BB10 be ready sooner than later... I mean if they have the HW ready, and the SW is ready enough to show it to the press and carriers, there is a good chance they have the phone more ready than all we thought.

Regards from Mexico
    No....Thorsein has said that the delay was only about a month long. But it meant that the phones would be ready to launch at the end of Nov, beginning of Dec...too close to Xmas to make a difference & would have a lot of "noise" to deal with....xmas events, sales ect.
    That's why they descided to wait till jan to launch
    08-24-12 06:03 PM
    The article mentions a 1280 x 768 screen, but i thought RIM confirmed a 1280 x 720 screen? As a developer it makes a big difference where UI design is concerned.
    RIM has said that the 1st phone will be 1280x768; just like the Dev Alpha. After that all full touch phones will be 1280x720. They recomend devs letterbox their apps or make 2 full touch res versions
    08-24-12 06:06 PM
    i do believe i saw a blog about the keypad technology being patented so i doubt it will ever be sold
    No the company that RIM licensed that camera feature from got sold...The keyboard BlackBerry did all in-house
    & patented......but that doesn't prevent people from copying it. The iPhone octopus keybaord is not an official KB, that doesn't mean people can't go out & install it on their phones. Android is famous for piracy, I'm suprised there isn't half a dozen BB10 keyboard nock-offs out there for Android by now
    08-24-12 06:11 PM
    No the company that RIM licensed that camera feature from got sold...The keyboard BlackBerry did all in-house
    & patented......but that doesn't prevent people from copying it.
    The BB10 keyboard is quite interesting. When the patent was awarded, Engadget looked at the patent and concluded " it's more focused on simple frequency logic and auto-complete shortcuts (think "ttyl" generating "talk to you later") rather than anything too complex."

If that is true, where does the predictive logic come from? Well in the past year it has also been reported that RIM is licensing technology from the company that makes Swiftkey. So it is possible that the predictive logic comes from them while the UI for the keyboard and such is a RIM special.

Interesting topic - there was a bunch of threads on this on CB back in July. Anyone have any updates?
    08-24-12 06:17 PM
    "The touchsreen display will have a 720 x 720 resolution"

How does this compare to the 9900/9930? Is this handset going to be the same'ish size, or smaller like the 9780?

Good review, by the way. Maybe now the tide has started to turn a little in their favour.
    08-24-12 06:24 PM
    "The touchsreen display will have a 720 x 720 resolution"

How does this compare to the 9900/9930? Is this handset going to be the same'ish size, or smaller like the 9780?

Good review, by the way. Maybe now the tide has started to turn a little in their favour.
    The bb10 qwerty will be a 3.1 inch screen size. The bold 9900/9930 measures at 2.8 inches. You are looking at a very high resolution screen with qwerty bb10, 330ppi vs 286 ppi for the 9900/9930 which is very good at the present.

Personally I wish the screen was bigger, 3.5 inches would have been great, but I think this is going to work well. Along with the increased horsepower of the dual core processor, this will be a strong offering. Looking forward to picking this up when it launches. Probably will pick up the all touch as well. Also browser will be rocking for bb10!!!!
    08-24-12 06:45 PM
    Crackberry Kevin get the first call from Heins but he doesn't not get the first peak at a BB10 phone. WTF?
    CrackBerry Kevin likes this.
    08-24-12 08:46 PM
    Crackberry Kevin get the first call from Heins but he doesn't not get the first peak at a BB10 phone. WTF?
    Maybe he already has one... And can say nothing cause he isnt allowed to share info.
    Knightcrawler and 00stryder like this.
    08-24-12 08:51 PM
    RIM has said that the 1st phone will be 1280x768; just like the Dev Alpha. After that all full touch phones will be 1280x720. They recomend devs letterbox their apps or make 2 full touch res versions
    What does this "letterbox their apps" mean? how much would it affect applications? I want to be an early adopter of the BB10 touchscreen phone, which means I am aware that the resolutions will be different...does that mean applications will not fill my screen completely? or will applications look worse on my device?
    08-24-12 09:16 PM
    Did anyone attend the BB Jam in Waterloo yesterday? If so, could you please talk about the two phones shown there? Thanks!
    08-24-12 10:08 PM
    the phones wouldnt have been shown off at bbjam....it was only for the press, and they would've signed NDAs to ensure no leaks anyway.
    08-24-12 10:16 PM
    What kind of apps are you meaning?

I'm sure the important business and personal productivity type apps will be readily available. Games and such might take a bit longer, but for most people who use it for its intended purpose that shouldn't be a big deal I wouldn't think..... When I first got my iPhone, I downloaded a bunch of games and other apps that I found I rarely use anyway once the novelty word off... However, I'm confident that those with an excess of time on their hand will continue whining about a lack of that "crap."

R...
    The big name apps that are available on every platform except BlackBerry, aka "the usual suspects": Skype, Netflix, etc.
    Last edited by lak611; 08-24-12 at 11:46 PM.
    08-24-12 11:42 PM
    I beg to differ RIM is doing exactly what any business would do its basically marketing 101. In order to get a buzz going you must appeal to your loyalists first and in turn they become your best advertisers. ie critics say movies suck majority of the time but if the public paid attn to what critics say then only a handful of movies would make money, but instead what happens is people go and see it and if the mass love it the word spread like hotcakes and vice versa if the move sucks the same word will spread about it sucking.

You always have to take care of home(78million BB) before you begin to take care of the rest. The question that should be asked is how soon after the home base is taken care will RIM begin to focus on the mass?

I am wondering do I hold off for the high end BB that everyone keeps talking about? Just my two cents...

While I am very happy to see this article and the positive view from the press this troubles me just a bit:

This to me is a wrong-headed approach that screams stasis. The 78 million or so active users is a good base to launch from but unless that base can be expanded RIM, no matter how good the BB 10 devices are, will not grow and will still find itself fighting an uphill battle vis-�-vis market and mindshare.

Defending their position is not the best play here. RIM needs to expand it's base and that means exciting a lot more than just its' base.
    08-24-12 11:55 PM
    4 - 6 weeks between the full touchscreen and the QWERTY model?!!

Is anyone here REALLY gonna wait that long? If BB10 is as awesome as they say, i'll just say goodbye to QWERTY and get the touch model at launch. 4-6 weeks is an eternity to wait while smug BB10 owners light up Crackberry with their posts
    Knightcrawler and Ben1232 like this.
    08-25-12 01:10 AM
    y'all don't worry, ya hear?
    08-25-12 07:22 AM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD