http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-9999991-80.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

I guess iPhones hype is bigger than it's actual market share. I find it interesting how such a big deal has been made in the media on how many total units sold and how many apps were downloaded. But the same can be said for any new popular platforms new device. There's no denying that apple made a product that people like.
    Developers apparently don't hate the platform for developing, but I get the impression that mostly the apps available are just cross platform apps that were already made for the other platforms. Basically beyond the initial surge due to its brand newness and opening up the platform to 3rd party development where will things stand in the mobile world?

My prediction is between now and the close of fiscal year 2009 is that in order from largest to smallest market share will be:

#1 Blackberry
    #2 iPhone
    #3 Palm (counting palms using winmo)
    #4 windows mobile

Palm (not palmsource) is supposed to be releasing their new OS in 1Q2009 and highly likely will have devices out hand in hand with the new OS. This could very well give the iPhone a run for #2 market share. But competition is good. That means as consumers we will get to see all sorts of advancement in devices and prices stay low as each competitor tries to out do the others.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-08 12:11 AM
    Here is the actual link...

Mobile platform tug-of-war | Outside the Lines - CNET News.com
    07-26-08 12:26 AM
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-9999991-80.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

I guess iPhones hype is bigger than it's actual market share. I find it interesting how such a big deal has been made in the media on how many total units sold and how many apps were downloaded. But the same can be said for any new popular platforms new device. There's no denying that apple made a product that people like.
    Developers apparently don't hate the platform for developing, but I get the impression that mostly the apps available are just cross platform apps that were already made for the other platforms. Basically beyond the initial surge due to its brand newness and opening up the platform to 3rd party development where will things stand in the mobile world?

30 million apps... A lot of people aren't buying the iPhone for apps. A lot are doing it just because it's "the new hotness" I believe that is a large amount of downloads for apps. Those that did buy it aren't looking to have 20-30 apps (like I do on my iPhone) and want AIM, MySpace or Facebook.

My prediction is between now and the close of fiscal year 2009 is that in order from largest to smallest market share will be:

#1 Blackberry
    #2 iPhone
    #3 Palm (counting palms using winmo)
    #4 windows mobile
    This must be US only as Nokia has 60% of the market share. If that's the case, then we might as well go carrier based as it's only offered on AT&T...

My predictions for AT&T...

1. iPhone
    2. Blackberry
    3. WinSlow
    4. Palm (buy out coming, lol)

Palm (not palmsource) is supposed to be releasing their new OS in 1Q2009 and highly likely will have devices out hand in hand with the new OS. This could very well give the iPhone a run for #2 market share. But competition is good. That means as consumers we will get to see all sorts of advancement in devices and prices stay low as each competitor tries to out do the others.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Palm is coming out with a new mobile platform, but so is windows and I think they pose a bigger scare to iPhone/RIM than Palm will ever do. Centro, nice try Palm! It was cute
    Last edited by Jayden0606; 07-26-08 at 12:56 AM.
    07-26-08 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD