Why should they?
    Assuming that was to me, rather than questioning why patriotic Canadians aren't buying Privs by the truckload, I've seen frequent posts here blaming Thor for somehow sabotaging BB10's and BB's chances. Releasing the Z10 before the Q10, insufficient marketing, soft-launch of the Z30, the Playbook lies, etc, etc.

I don't actually agree with any of that myself. If anyone is responsible for the mess BB is now in, it's the arrogance of MikeL, as the "Losing the Signal" book clearly shows.

Shame it's not the case really, as anyone with a spectacular name such as "Thorsten Heins" really should be a saboteur, or at the very least a deep-cover CIA plant.
    darkehawke and Jack Chin like this.
    09-27-16 12:08 PM
    Assuming that was to me, rather than questioning why patriotic Canadians aren't buying Privs by the truckload, I've seen frequent posts here blaming Thor for somehow sabotaging BB10's and BB's chances. Releasing the Z10 before the Q10, insufficient marketing, soft-launch of the Z30, the Playbook lies, etc, etc.

I don't actually agree with any of that myself. If anyone is responsible for the mess BB is now in, it's the arrogance of MikeL, as the "Losing the Signal" book clearly shows.

Shame it's not the case really, as anyone with a spectacular name such as "Thorsten Heins" really should be a saboteur, or at the very least a deep-cover CIA plant.
    Nah it was a general comment
    I've just read through the posts and agree with what you say.

People will support Blackberry if Blackberry supported them.
    There's been too many times Blackberry has not shown support to their own consumer base so why should anyone support them

Mr Chen needs to give people a reason to support Blackberry before saying that people should
    JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    09-27-16 12:19 PM
    Lol i have bought 6 BB10 devices and Chen decides to end BB10 production. What an &$@!/.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 12:47 PM
    Lol i have bought 6 BB10 devices and Chen decides to end BB10 production. What an &$@!/.

Posted via CB10
    That's 2/3 of their total shipments, though.
    09-27-16 12:48 PM
    So, maybe it's your fault for not being more popular?

If only you had 30M friends who'd followed your lead, BB10 would have been saved!
    09-27-16 12:55 PM
    I wish BlackBerry would support BlackBerry more!
    09-27-16 03:44 PM
    If the only reason to buy a Blackberry device was because it was made by citizens of the country I call home I wouldn't buy one. I wanted a Blackberry because I liked them, but now there is less and less reason to continue buying them. So if all that's left is because it's a Canadian company I'm done. Being Canadian used to be just icing on the cake for us. Now there is not much cake left. Innovate Chen. Give us more reasons as to why we should buy your product. That's all. Make it easier to choose your products. A home town discount would help for one. Great products with innovative features and functionality would be two. As for the rest of the world, you are just going to have to up your marketing game and make yourself visible.
    andy957 likes this.
    09-27-16 04:13 PM
    As a Canadian I feel no obligation to buy anything because it's Canadian. There is nothing Canadian about BlackBerry. The CEO is British, they don't announce any products in Canada. Unlike Apple who seems to be very proud to announce their products in Cupertino/San Fransisco. I don't believe there is more than one Canadian on their Executive Team, it there is one at all.

Sorry, don't I don't get all teary eyed and choked up over a billion dollar corporation that ****ed up and now wants us Canadians to support them. Most of us have moved on. Interesting to see how many are left during the device sales announcement on Sept. 28th...
    Nothing Canadian about BlackBerry? I would argue for they are just as Canadian or more so than the as the Blue Jays.

I guess the fact that they were founded in and are registered, headquartered and pay taxes in Canada escapes you.

BTW, your beloved Apple is proud to be registered in Ireland to avoid paying taxes.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 06:03 PM
    From the interview, it sounds like Chen was surprised that Canadians don't care about the success of BlackBerry. They would be perfectly fine with BlackBerry going the way of Nortel. (Hello naysayers who want them "dead already".) His stance is that a successful BlackBerry is good for Canada and the market in general, as in "choices".

U.S.: Thank you Canada for sending all your best and brightest to Silicon Valley. Enjoy your brain drain.
    09-27-16 06:42 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    As a Canadian I feel no obligation to buy anything because it's Canadian. There is nothing Canadian about BlackBerry. The CEO is British, they don't announce any products in Canada. Unlike Apple who seems to be very proud to announce their products in Cupertino/San Fransisco. I don't believe there is more than one Canadian on their Executive Team, it there is one at all.

Sorry, don't I don't get all teary eyed and choked up over a billion dollar corporation that ****ed up and now wants us Canadians to support them. Most of us have moved on. Interesting to see how many are left during the device sales announcement on Sept. 28th...
    There is one born every minute....

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 09:02 PM
    The cost of "Loyalty" is "Loyalty".

It's a Relative Cost Based Expenditure Equation: (BBL=BBL).

Life Accounting 101:
    What you put in, has a direct effect on what you get in return.

A BlackBerry Fan
    Last edited by KNEBB; 09-28-16 at 05:36 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-27-16 09:55 PM
    Is John Chen delusional?
    09-27-16 10:19 PM
    You'd expect Thorsten Heins to be a saboteur...
    Ever played the old-school PC game "Dune 2"?

"... Saboteur destroyed..." ;-D

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    09-28-16 05:29 AM
    I do think Chen is overly optimistic about Canadian support -- make phones that are as good or better than the competition and we'll snap them up, but not before then. However, I don't fault him for ditching BlackBerry 10. It's a company with shrinking resources in a market where app ecosystems are everything... and BB10 doesn't have a viable app ecosystem these days.
    09-28-16 07:45 AM
    One comment caught my eye:
    As BlackBerry pushes forward with another new smartphone, one technology analyst says it's becoming less attached to its Canadian roots.
    BlackBerry's new DTEK50 smartphone targets U.S. sales - Kitchener-Waterloo - CBC News
    09-28-16 07:45 AM
    As BlackBerry pushes forward with another new smartphone, one technology analyst says it's becoming less attached to its Canadian roots.
    BlackBerry's new DTEK50 smartphone targets U.S. sales - Kitchener-Waterloo - CBC News
    This article is from July...
    09-28-16 12:22 PM
    then stop ripping canadians off with outdated specs/overpriced phones. dtek60 looks good. will blackberry still it overpriced like the priv was. to be continued
    Jack Chin likes this.
    09-28-16 05:01 PM
    So the day before BlackBerry announces its exit from the hardware design and distribution business, the federal government approved a new LNG pipeline in western Canada. It again shows that resources drive Canada's economy and not industrial and post-industrial sectors. That's what Chen is lamenting folks. That this country needs a vibrant tech sector and not other Nortels or BlackBerry failures. We can't simply sell our resources like we have done for hundreds of years - the fur trade, forestry, mining, the fishery and oil and gas. He's talking economic strategy, not simply patriotism. Sorry to see lots of posts that misunderstand that point.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 06:34 PM
    So the day before BlackBerry announces its exit from the hardware design and distribution business, the federal government approved a new LNG pipeline in western Canada. It again shows that resources drive Canada's economy and not industrial and post-industrial sectors. That's what Chen is lamenting folks. That this country needs a vibrant tech sector and not other Nortels or BlackBerry failures. We can't simply sell our resources like we have done for hundreds of years - the fur trade, forestry, mining, the fishery and oil and gas. He's talking economic strategy, not simply patriotism. Sorry to see lots of posts that misunderstand that point.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    The pipeline needed to be approved MONTHS ago and it wasn't. You can bet that part of the deal to get that pipeline built will be a Bailout of Bombardier as well, at the taxpayers expense!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-28-16 06:43 PM
    "Article: John Chen wishes Canadians would support BlackBerry more"

There would be better support if he released the BlackBerry Passport 2 and Blackberry Z50 with OS 10 and announced them with pride and lots of advertisements! Many will disagree with this, but that's ok.
    wilber1 likes this.
    09-28-16 06:51 PM
    Chen didn't even want to move to Canada after taking a job there.
    Jack Chin likes this.
    09-28-16 07:36 PM
    Well, Mr. Chen, I'm Canadian, and I once did support BlackBerry. I bought a Z10 in late 2013 and thought it was a pretty good phone, and the OS was miles better than Apple or Android. When the Passport came out, I ran out to my local Telus dealer on its release date and picked one up.

Just barely a year after acquiring the Passport, it developed the dreaded and not unknown screen lift issue. I took it to Telus and they wanted $225 just to even look at the phone, never mind repair it, simply because it was just out of warranty. None of the repair shops in town knew how to fix the phone. Before the screen lift issue, the Passport worked flawlessly and was a great phone.

I checked out the BlackBerry website and there were no support contact numbers clearly listed. There were no email addresses for support either. There was a mailing address, but it wasn't clear to me whether I could write to that address and actually get a response and a fix for my problem.

The impression I got was that BlackBerry didn't stand behind its phones, and were only too happy to try to fob off any problems on carriers.

My view is that when you pay $750.00 for an electronic device - especially one that is marketed as a quality, high-end device, it should be properly engineered and last for a reasonable period of time. One year and barely one month, and no support to boot, is not what I would call 'reasonably durable.'

I sold the phone (for a song) to a friend who didn't mind the screen lift problem, which I rather inexpertly attempted to repair with Krazy Glue. He has since replaced the phone with something else.

Given this, I think it's a good thing that BlackBerry are getting out of the hardware business. Personally, I don't think Chen or his predecessor have done a very good job with BlackBerry or turning the company around. Instead, they pushed the security features of the BB 10 OS, which is something average consumers don't care about. If they had focussed on making their phones more appealing to consumers and showed people why the BB OS was a better operating system, and found a way to get more developers on board,
    they might have saved the hardware division and improved its fortunes.
    Alain_A likes this.
    09-28-16 07:44 PM
    There would be better support if he released the BlackBerry Passport 2 and Blackberry Z50 with OS 10 and announced them with pride and lots of advertisements! Many will disagree with this, but that's ok.
    If you're going to come up with genius level ideas like this, why limit yourself?!

There would be even better support if BlackBerry /gave away/ Passport 2's, Z50's, and whatever else they come up with to everyone on the planet! 100% market saturation! Incredible! Many will disagree with this, but that's okay.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-29-16 01:24 PM
    You have to have a product to support, Chen.

This is like GM asking Americans to support it after it outsourced production to China (while Kia, Hyundai, and Toyota are still making cars in America).

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 08:19 AM
    Chen didn't even want to move to Canada after taking a job there.
    Chen is nowhere to be found around here . .Article: John Chen wishes Canadians would support BlackBerry more-cpvzrmvusaipdka.jpg
    09-30-16 08:23 AM
58 123