Not sure if this has already been asked, but since the 6.1 devices aren't supposed to be out any time soon, will the new devices be delayed until '12 and be released with this new OS??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I wouldn't call May/June soon. )
    03-30-11 06:48 PM
    I would call May/June soon. )
    Even better question is will the higher end devices coming out this summer be one OS and done or should we have some hope that they will get an OS update in 2012.
    03-30-11 06:57 PM
    I hope they are out by then!

But if that is true, I'm guessing no OS7 devices until mid/late 2012 judging by RIMs release track record ...

03-30-11 06:58 PM
    But are we talking announced in May/June and then three months of carrier testing?

03-30-11 06:58 PM
    Even better question is will the higher end devices coming out this summer be one OS and done or should we have some hope that they will get an OS update in 2012.
    Ewwww. Answer this one! Answer this one!

03-30-11 07:00 PM
    Unless they are putting dual core processors into the 2011 handhelds (unlikely) my guess is no. I hope I am wrong though.
    03-30-11 07:01 PM
    Btw, here is another related article from N4BB:

http://n4bb.com/5383/blackberry-high...of-qnx-and-6-1
    03-30-11 07:11 PM
    Very interesting article this.

I could well be wrong but going on what I've read before we will have OS 6.1 then OS 7, which will be a mix of 6.1 and QNX followed by a QNX OS.

Perhaps OS 7 IS QNX and I'm just confuddled!

Something else that stands out from that article is that RIM is struggling with 'losing the features users love' ..... Eek. Lol

Interesting times ahead.

I hope we see and hear more about 6.1 soon as it will be on my BB Dakota

One of the bullet points stated "This new OS 7 will also be the OS for the Playbook down the road. Seeing the theme of �there can be only one� ?" so I assume that OS 7 is QNX..?
    03-30-11 07:44 PM
    no.. devices released with 6.1 this year will NOT get OS7 next year...
    03-30-11 08:20 PM
    Ewwww. Answer this one! Answer this one!

I highly doubt CX would give you, or us for that matter an answer to this question, at least a definitive one.

My thought on this thou, is that QNX has been doing SMP in their OS for years, waay before there was any even thought of dual, tri or quad core anything. So the whole back and forth arguement that Mike L stated, in which QNX will run on ONLY dual-core holds no water IMO.

I don't think we will see multi-core chips in a BB till probably next years BB World. Therefore I do think there is surely a possibility that the 2011 devices like the Dakota and Monaco will be able to run a full QNX OS7 and not be outdated. Now will RIM do this is a whole nother story, but if OS7 is gonna come that quick I don't see why they wouldn't. After all, some of their 2011 device won't be out till late summer maybe, so I'd hope that in less then 6 months those devices wouldn't be irrelevant, kinda like the Tour situation, however that was a year.

I just think the mobile OS7 and Tablet OS, although maybe coming together from a familariaty UI standpoint, in the early mobile OS7 there will be limitations. These limitations on a handheld will be with things like not running all the apps in the background at the sametime like the Playbook does. Think about it, the dual core is helping out the multi-processing that is keeping everything running in the background on the PB. However, do we really need 6 Flash type based apps running in the background on our phones, I don't The QNX core CAN still do this(SMP) on a single core chip, like they did with early PB's. However those units were said to be a lil slow, therefore don't run all that stuff at the sametime that slows it down on a single core chip on a phone. I still want to multi-task on a phone but just not to the effect of the PB. My point is that it CAN be done, give me just 2 flash apps running in the background on the phone

As I said earlier, I think next BB World that we will see multi-core 4G BB Superphone, but hopefully OS7 BB's will be here already in our hands before then on a Monaco and Dakota
    03-30-11 08:54 PM
    Aren't things supposed to improve as we advance the OS? Why are we "losing the features users love?"
    They are starting with a new OS. BBOS has had 10 years of features being added to it. While some may be ported over to QNX, some may be re-written on QNX, some may have to be tabled to get the device out on time (think native PIM on PlayBook). I would imagine that they would evolve the platform over the year but it takes time (copy and paste on iOS or WP7). Additionally some features may not be possible on a new OS architecture, I have no software dev experience so I am making stuff up, but those are what I see as the pain points of the process.
    03-30-11 09:15 PM
    no.. devices released with 6.1 this year will NOT get OS7 next year...
    Well if that is the case maybe I should hold my upgrade even longer and make my small contribution to making RIM's next few financial quarters suck till they release something that they will actually support more than a few months. I've already been burnt by RIM with this Tour. I need some reassurances on the Monaco/Monza that it has a decent product lifecycle. Apple gives their phones at least two full years of upgrades and support, Android does too as long as the manufacturers put in the effort, WTF RIM?!

When your CTO is saying that "One of the key reasons OS 6.1 is falling behind schedule is miscommunication between teams in the critical path of the project", then that is a failure by management to properly manage the teams working for them. Starting to sound like OS7 will be a bastardized OS instead of a completely new way forward.
    03-31-11 06:28 AM
    It is starting to look like the reversal here what am I talking about ok ill tell you.
    Before Los was released rim had and was doing everything cut and paste blah blah and ios wasn't released yet then Los was relesead people were saying no it want fly no cut and past no multi tasking on and onand rim was king of the hill . then slowly it evolved to what it is now and yes it is a hit . If you step back and look at the big picture it seems that the roles have been reversed as apple is what rim was then and rim is what apple was you can't deny that this seems to be playing out the same way . Look at what apple has done in 4-5 years since release can you imagine qnx in 4-5 years I see rim becoming the next apple and I don't think it will be the demise of apple but people that think apple has nothing to wory about look at what people used to say about rim, microsoft and on and on history always repeats itself just changes places and characters
    03-31-11 06:42 AM
    Wow. That article made the haze clear as mud! So I shouldn't waste my time on 6.1? It's 10 years old and RIM is thrilled with it? RIM needs to stop talking in circles and release a clear roadmap for the software. I bought my Tour and it was basically EOL'd in less than a year, if I bought a 6.1 device and they have no plans of it being upgradable then I'd probably be done with RIM.
    Why? Does anybody else release a clear roadmap for their software? Apple is probably the worst at that; all anybody knows is that they're on a fairly regular release schedule. Up until the actual announcement, which is sometimes only weeks before the release, what's to be included is usually a clusterf### of observations and speculation. And this year is even that schedule out of sync with previous years, or at least up in the air as far as iPhone goes. And all anybody knows about Android is that they're working on a new version and maybe when it should be expected, with very sketchy details about what's going to be in it or what specific models it will even available for. The point is, none of them want to tip their hands to the competition.

As for upgradability, no phone is perfect. I expect each new piece of hardware that's introduced to be some kind of an improvement over whatever it is replacing. Which means, I usually have no intention of upgrading a device's software at the end of its contractual life unless there's nothing yet to replace it. I also assume that any meaningful OS advancements will require upgraded hardware and not be backward-compatible. Even when Apple comes out with a new iOS, it might run on older iPhones, but never as well as on the new ones.

I think it's a safe bet that QNX phones are still at least a year away, and it's just about a foregone conclusion that 6.1 phones will not be upgradable to OS7/QNX. RIM's 10-year-old OS still works just fine for me. Even though I'm not due for an upgrade until September of this year, unless somebody else has a kick-a$$ phone with a keyboard out by then, I fully intend to jump on whatever 6.1 BB is out that suits me best at the time, completely understanding that OS7 -- even though it will very likely be the first gen of QNX in handhelds -- will have been out several months before I'm able to upgrade again. Why would I do that? Because the only thing that's certain is what is out today.
    Last edited by 18to12fitty; 03-31-11 at 07:20 AM.
    03-31-11 07:15 AM
    Okay, maybe you didn't word this sentence right, but this is what I understand from it:

6.1 devices are coming "soon". "Soon" DOES NOT EQUAL May/June.

Therefore, your definition of "soon" would either be before that, or in July?

CX, you're worse than the riddler, lol
    03-31-11 08:02 AM
    Bah, after fully deciding in my head to get the bold touch this year, I think now I'm definitely leaning towards just waiting till their 2012 devices before jumping back in full-time.
    03-31-11 08:56 AM
    Why? Does anybody else release a clear roadmap for their software? Apple is probably the worst at that; all anybody knows is that they're on a fairly regular release schedule. Up until the actual announcement, which is sometimes only weeks before the release, what's to be included is usually a clusterf### of observations and speculation. And this year is even that schedule out of sync with previous years, or at least up in the air as far as iPhone goes. And all anybody knows about Android is that they're working on a new version and maybe when it should be expected, with very sketchy details about what's going to be in it or what specific models it will even available for. The point is, none of them want to tip their hands to the competition.
    They don't have to say everything, but they've already told investors and the world that they are in a transition, and basically that US sales are falling off because people are waiting for new, non-existent devices from RIM. They are also already talking about a different phone OS coming in 2012. Some people who have waited this long and skipped OS6, may decide to wait even longer to upgrade their devices, or decide to finally switch to another platform till RIM is transitioned and stable. My concern is OS6.1 is a dead OS from release and that developers won't work on it because OS7 is already being touted as the way forward, and so those devices will have all these cool bells and whistles (magnetometers, accelerometers, etc.), but no one will be writing apps to use them and instead be focusing on OS7, essentially making the hardware running 6.1 dead at release too. Of course if that is the case then I could see why RIM will stay silent.
    03-31-11 09:53 AM
    They don't have to say everything, but they've already told investors and the world that they are in a transition, and basically that US sales are falling off because people are waiting for new, non-existent devices from RIM. They are also already talking about a different phone OS coming in 2012. Some people who have waited this long and skipped OS6, may decide to wait even longer to upgrade their devices, or decide to finally switch to another platform till RIM is transitioned and stable. My concern is OS6.1 is a dead OS from release and that developers won't work on it because OS7 is already being touted as the way forward, and so those devices will have all these cool bells and whistles (magnetometers, accelerometers, etc.), but no one will be writing apps to use them and instead be focusing on OS7, essentially making the hardware running 6.1 dead at release too. Of course if that is the case then I could see why RIM will stay silent.
    This is the issue. We all thought 2010 was the year RIM took the biggest hit, and 2011 would be a start of something new, QNX. Now we are seeing that BB7 is the promised land and that 6.1 and Tablet OS are transitional. So, as an app developer why would you get involved now? Especially since Tablet OS will run Android Apps? RIM has basically told devs to go develop on Android and tat they will catch up to them next year.

Now, I am sure a lot of people will buy and love 6.1 devices. But i am not sure it will stop the migration to android and iOS.
    03-31-11 03:38 PM
    Okay, maybe you didn't word this sentence right, but this is what I understand from it:

6.1 devices are coming "soon". "Soon" DOES NOT EQUAL May/June.

Therefore, your definition of "soon" would either be before that, or in July?

CX, you're worse than the riddler, lol
    No it is actually my fault. Originally I used "would". Then when checking back in the thread for some reason I thought(brain fart) that it should be wouldn't, so I changed it. What I meant to say is that May/June isn't that far away. Big things are happening then. )
    03-31-11 05:08 PM
    No it is actually my fault. Originally I used "would". Then when checking back in the thread for some reason I thought(brain fart) that it should be wouldn't, so I changed it. What I meant to say is that May/June isn't that far away. Big things are happening then. )
    Do you consider this a very prudent year for devices and the platform in general? Are we in for some surprises?.....I feel we have some shock and awe coming......return a wink to affirm this post!!!lol peace friends!!!!!

03-31-11 05:20 PM
    Now that's what I like to hear.
    03-31-11 06:01 PM
    Me too
    03-31-11 10:16 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD