BlackBerry OS 7 “Highlander” to Meld OS 6.1 and QNX Together - BerryReview

I hope this becomes a more prudent thread then the majority(recently) in this section! Enjoy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-30-11 at 08:20 PM.
    03-30-11 02:25 PM
    I'm sorry to say this, but the article discredited itself by stating that OS 6.1 is almost ten years old. Too bad. I take it with a grain of salt.
    03-30-11 02:32 PM
    well.. the core of it could be that old.. all they keep doing is polishing the same OS. OS6 is actually 5.1 with a new UI....
    howarmat likes this.
    03-30-11 02:35 PM
    well.. the core of it could be that old..
    Correct...
    03-30-11 03:08 PM
    I'm sure this is a dumb question, but has it been determined if applications will now be stored on internal storage as opposed to where it is currently stored?
    03-30-11 03:12 PM
    I'm sure this is a dumb question, but has it been determined if applications will now be stored on internal storage as opposed to where it is currently stored?
    If you mean on 6.1 then the slides CB leaked indicate that apps can be stored on ad card. But a lot of people are interpreting that to mean can be run from cards. Not so sure myself.

03-30-11 03:22 PM
    If you mean on 6.1 then the slides CB leaked indicate that apps can be stored on ad card. But a lot of people are interpreting that to mean can be run from cards. Not so sure myself.

Thanks Engine. I was talking about OS 6.1. I seemed to recall it being said that the 4gb or 8gb of internal memory some are rumored to have would be available for apps to run from as well as be stored on.
    03-30-11 03:27 PM
    Interesting read. I like the reference to rumors about 6.1 kernel being qnx and how that is all rumor lol.

03-30-11 03:28 PM
    Multiple sources have all said apps can be saved to and utilize the full compliment of memory. I have not heard any confirmation of apps stored to or un off of SD cards. Meaning that the 2gigs or 8 gigs or whatever is on the BB of choice, rather than just being able to be used for media and documents can be used for app storgage. The issue will be who is going to be writing for 6.1 when QNX (which looks to be a million times friendlier) will be on handhelds in less than a year from the release of the 6.1 devices. The addittion of the 'sandbox' even on handhelds does not make 6.1 more of a draw, when you can just write for android and easily port to QNX. 6.1 devices may see as much development as the S2 saw Open GL development. Hence virtually none.
    03-30-11 03:31 PM
    I'm sorry to say this, but the article discredited itself by stating that OS 6.1 is almost ten years old. Too bad. I take it with a grain of salt.
    The core is 10 years old, but I'm a sure the UI design will look more present/futuristic. Much more so than OS6.
    03-30-11 03:32 PM
    @d_March. That is something I never understood. Okay running apps from sd card could be a security issue but why not the internal memory? Got 2 gb on storm 2 collecting bit rot.

I hope 6.1 can support that but I am pretty sure it said store. Which may be very diffrent then run from.

03-30-11 03:32 PM
    PS - I hope I'm wrong w/r/t development.
    03-30-11 03:33 PM
    PS - I hope I'm wrong w/r/t development.
    I don't think you are. Especially where android can be run on playbook. If I am developer I start building on android and then I can nail 2 of the largest platforms with ease. I don't waste time on 6.x.

03-30-11 03:41 PM
    I said a while ago RIM should have pushed 6.1 and new devices out for fall 2010 or maybe at CES and then launched pb at Dec con 2011 with phones to follow. It is like they are tripping over their own feet.

But I am sure they will make some bucks. Playbook is very impressive imho.

03-30-11 03:44 PM
    Aren't things supposed to improve as we advance the OS? Why are we "losing the features users love?"
    03-30-11 03:57 PM
    Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any insight or a good explanation as to what "liquid graphics" means for 6.1....and the UI...?

Thanks !peace friends!
    03-30-11 04:10 PM
    Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any insight or a good explanation as to what "liquid graphics" means for 6.1....and the UI...?

Thanks !peace friends!
    Hardware acceleration as well as Open GL support across the Platform with reduced latency(UI/core apps)
    03-30-11 04:22 PM
    Very interesting article this.

I could well be wrong but going on what I've read before we will have OS 6.1 then OS 7, which will be a mix of 6.1 and QNX followed by a QNX OS.

Perhaps OS 7 IS QNX and I'm just confuddled!

Something else that stands out from that article is that RIM is struggling with 'losing the features users love' ..... Eek. Lol

Interesting times ahead.

I hope we see and hear more about 6.1 soon as it will be on my BB Dakota

03-30-11 05:04 PM
    Very interesting article this.

I could well be wrong but going on what I've read before we will have OS 6.1 then OS 7, which will be a mix of 6.1 and QNX followed by a QNX OS.

Perhaps OS 7 IS QNX and I'm just confuddled!

Something else that stands out from that article is that RIM is struggling with 'losing the features users love' ..... Eek. Lol

Interesting times ahead.

I hope we see and hear more about 6.1 soon as it will be on my BB Dakota

OMG. Great to see you Hazy!!! It's been a while. Hope all is well across the pond. Great to see you posting again on CB ))
    03-30-11 05:27 PM
    Wow. That article made the haze clear as mud! So I shouldn't waste my time on 6.1? It's 10 years old and RIM is thrilled with it? RIM needs to stop talking in circles and release a clear roadmap for the software. I bought my Tour and it was basically EOL'd in less than a year, if I bought a 6.1 device and they have no plans of it being upgradable then I'd probably be done with RIM.
    03-30-11 05:31 PM
    OMG. Great to see you Hazy!!! It's been a while. Hope all is well across the pond. Great to see you posting again on CB ))
    Hello you

I've aways been nosey.... Lol

I'm good thanks, hope you are too. I believe there's been a new addition to the family, many congratulations to you all

03-30-11 05:34 PM
    Wow. That article made the haze clear as mud! So I shouldn't waste my time on 6.1? It's 10 years old and RIM is thrilled with it? RIM needs to stop talking in circles and release a clear roadmap for the software. I bought my Tour and it was basically EOL'd in less than a year, if I bought a 6.1 device and they have no plans of it being upgradable then I'd probably be done with RIM.
    You have every right to be concerned. When I bought my Torch, I was na�ve enough to believe it would run QNX eventually. At this point there are indications that QNX will only run on phones with a dual core processor. There aren't many of them in the 2011 lineup.

03-30-11 05:44 PM
    I have to wonder how many here keep a phone that long seems like there are many that get a new one every time one drops.
    03-30-11 06:07 PM
    Not sure if this has already been asked, but since the 6.1 devices aren't supposed to be out any time soon, will the new devices be delayed until '12 and be released with this new OS??

03-30-11 06:36 PM
    I think by blending 6.1 and QNX they are speaking more of the core features and functions. Tablet OS seems to be a full on QNX implementation with just a touch oh BB. Hence the lack of email clients and other BB standards like full push from the NOC and removable batteries. For 7 I think they want it be more of a joint project taking RIM's years of mobile efficiency and QNX's years of Os engineering experience and bringing out the best of both resource pools. The end result should run like QNX but feel like a BB.

03-30-11 06:46 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD