The Globe and Mail reports in its Saturday edition that Research in Motion rival Apple has quintupled its revenues over the past five years. The Globe's Ian McGugan writes that Apple has $26-billion of cash in the bank (all figures U.S.). Out of 51 analysts following Apple, 46 rate it "buy" and the remaining five give it a "hold." The consensus is that the stock, now trading at $310, will break above $370 this year. Mr. McGugan, however, is dubious of Apple's prospects. He notes that back in the 1980s, Sony looked just as invulnerable as Apple does now. The Japanese company had invented the Walkman, controlled much of the market for televisions, and was a force in every major area of consumer electronics. However, then came a string of reverses. Microsoft provides yet another example of how quickly an apparently impregnable company can lose its prime perch. As Sony and Microsoft demonstrate, powerhouses do not suddenly collapse. Instead, they stumble and lose focus. While they are still capable of producing decent products, they no longer dominate. They fade back into the pack and begin to look decidedly average. The Globe says by all means, buy Apple products -- but think twice before buying its stock.
    10-25-10 09:39 AM
    The Globe and Mail reports in its Saturday edition that Research in Motion rival Apple has quintupled its revenues over the past five years. The Globe's Ian McGugan writes that Apple has $26-billion of cash in the bank (all figures U.S.). Out of 51 analysts following Apple, 46 rate it "buy" and the remaining five give it a "hold." The consensus is that the stock, now trading at $310, will break above $370 this year. Mr. McGugan, however, is dubious of Apple's prospects. He notes that back in the 1980s, Sony looked just as invulnerable as Apple does now. The Japanese company had invented the Walkman, controlled much of the market for televisions, and was a force in every major area of consumer electronics. However, then came a string of reverses. Microsoft provides yet another example of how quickly an apparently impregnable company can lose its prime perch. As Sony and Microsoft demonstrate, powerhouses do not suddenly collapse. Instead, they stumble and lose focus. While they are still capable of producing decent products, they no longer dominate. They fade back into the pack and begin to look decidedly average. The Globe says by all means, buy Apple products -- but think twice before buying its stock.
    Apple may also be feeling the pressure to diversify and not to depend the growth on Iphone alone. This could be the reason they brought back the focus on Apple TV. They brought the app store for MAC and admitting that collating apps in single place will be they way for future.
    10-25-10 10:45 AM
    For the sake of full disclosure, here is the actual article and an accompanying op ed. And for the sake of objectivity, an opposing viewpoint.
    For what it's worth, it's my opinion that one blip does not matter. It's trending that matters. Apple is the dominant giant in the field. I honestly don't think RIM can catch up and Android won't overtake. IMO.
    That said, I won't choose an iPhone at this time nor an iPad unless they change a few things.

Apple faces stumble unless it can keep the hits coming - The Globe and Mail

Analysts up targets on Apple - The Globe and Mail

Four new reasons for Apple stock to bounce - The Globe and Mail
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 10-25-10 at 12:14 PM.
    10-25-10 12:10 PM
    I think this is common sense, one can only stay at the top dominant for so long (ie. Sony and Microsoft) before someone comes into their space and competes.

Look at RIM, they were the dominant smartphone not 5-7 years ago holding 60% or more of the market, and now just less than 30%. the top dog is always the target and can't stay on top forever (unless there are absolutely no competitors)
    10-25-10 02:03 PM
    Or the competition brings on something that is revolutionary. The iPhone did that.
    It is not my preferred platform, but I'm not blind to current trends. RIM isn't going away just yet, but if current trends continue the fight for #1 is Apple/Android. I've believed this for quite a while. This is only my read on current trending.
    I'm not saying Apple is dead anymore than I accepted the "RIM is dead" thinking from earlier in the year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-10 04:29 PM
    For a second (while reading the bold part) I couldn't help but think of RIM. I'm not bashing here, but when you weigh in what we've been seeing the past couple of years, those couple of lines are pretty descriptive of what we've seen from RIM. At least this is the opinion of some people's viewpoint in the matter.
    10-25-10 04:58 PM
    I think this is common sense, one can only stay at the top dominant for so long (ie. Sony and Microsoft) before someone comes into their space and competes.

Look at RIM, they were the dominant smartphone not 5-7 years ago holding 60% or more of the market, and now just less than 30%. the top dog is always the target and can't stay on top forever (unless there are absolutely no competitors)
    I agree, but the market/people rarely evaluates or values companies based on a consistent methods, traits, etc. Look at Microsoft. They have outperformed the market for decades and still dominate. Yet their stock has done little good for many years. Short of paying dividends, it has flat lined! Yet Google's stock is unbelievable, and was even before they made money. They rely 95% on ad revenue from the search page for their profits and yet the market anticipates great things. Therefore, it shows in their stock. Yahoo is the perfect example of a stock over inflated for years and not backed by a real business plan to stay on top. Google needs to start making money somewhere else to avoid the same fate. I believe they will.

Apple just has to be perceived as great or going to remain great. That however does not last forever either.
    10-25-10 06:07 PM
    Apple being "on top" is a hard metric to grasp. They are making money with a great stock price but MS still makes more money and has more cash on hand than Apple. In fact Apple still can't hold a candle to the earnings of the MS juggernaut.

Not to mention the iPad is selling way below expectations, makes you wonder. How much ut there are marketing and how much are fact?

10-25-10 11:24 PM
    Right now Apple has about 10% of the "PC" market with Mac sales being better than ever for them right now. It looks like with Lion they are going to try to get developers on board to develop apps for the Mac like they have for the iPhone, which is one of the bigger complaints with Mac now. I think we are getting to a time when the home computer could actually start becoming a complimentary device to smartphones and tablets. Apple has an advantage here in that they have the a huge base of smartphone and tablet users to try to sway to a "familiar" Mac platform that they can offer superior integration with their phone/tablet offerings.

That said this space will be diluted soon with WP7 now on the seen, rumored Windows Tablets, Playbook, Android Tablets, etc, so anything could happen once their is more choices for the consumer.
    10-26-10 07:33 AM
    Right now Apple has about 10% of the "PC" market with Mac sales being better than ever for them right now. It looks like with Lion they are going to try to get developers on board to develop apps for the Mac like they have for the iPhone, which is one of the bigger complaints with Mac now. I think we are getting to a time when the home computer could actually start becoming a complimentary device to smartphones and tablets. Apple has an advantage here in that they have the a huge base of smartphone and tablet users to try to sway to a "familiar" Mac platform that they can offer superior integration with their phone/tablet offerings.

That said this space will be diluted soon with WP7 now on the seen, rumored Windows Tablets, Playbook, Android Tablets, etc, so anything could happen once their is more choices for the consumer.
    I agree exactly. I only wish that companies would not announce a product that is no where ready to be released.
    10-26-10 08:04 AM
    I agree exactly. I only wish that companies would not announce a product that is no where ready to be released.
    How do you build the ever important to the consumer app library without getting advanced buzz to have app developers build for a product

Apple Started with a Music Player, and had apps built, but that wasn't the key selling point at the time, what they then did was launch a phone after a large app library was already made, and more followed, We will not see days of secret products announced just before launch because of the need to have things developed for them.
    10-26-10 08:09 AM
    As Sony and Microsoft demonstrate, powerhouses do not suddenly collapse. Instead, they stumble and lose focus.
    What does stumble and lose focus mean? They are not cool anymore? Nobody ever talks about IBM, yet they are a highly profitable solid company that consistently performs year after year. Same with Microsoft and Sony and the list goes on and on.

When I bought my car 5 years ago it was the coolest thing ever, 5 years later it works just as well but I can't help but eye other cars. My car hasn't stumbled or lost focus.. my perception of it just changed. That's human nature, it's amazing how we can completely ignore the numbers and put everything into expecation.

probably why our economy is in the ****ter.
    10-26-10 09:38 AM
    What does stumble and lose focus mean? They are not cool anymore? Nobody ever talks about IBM, yet they are a highly profitable solid company that consistently performs year after year. Same with Microsoft and Sony and the list goes on and on.

When I bought my car 5 years ago it was the coolest thing ever, 5 years later it works just as well but I can't help but eye other cars. My car hasn't stumbled or lost focus.. my perception of it just changed. That's human nature, it's amazing how we can completely ignore the numbers and put everything into expecation.

probably why our economy is in the ****ter.
    When the iPhone came out RIM stumbled and lost focus. hence the Storm and Storm2.
    10-26-10 10:52 AM
    Apple may also be feeling the pressure to diversify and not to depend the growth on Iphone alone. This could be the reason they brought back the focus on Apple TV. They brought the app store for MAC and admitting that collating apps in single place will be they way for future.
    Let's not forget the Macbook so quickly. Its been Apples moneymaker well before the iPhone and remains a constant for them.

10-27-10 05:40 AM
    When the iPhone came out RIM stumbled and lost focus. hence the Storm and Storm2.
    So antennagate and glassgate could signal the start of the stumble for apple. Or with apple it doesn't matter due to the loyalist factor.

10-28-10 06:40 AM
    So antennagate and glassgate could signal the start of the stumble for apple. Or with apple it doesn't matter due to the loyalist factor.

Apple is well know for making hardware that is so much about form the function is ruined.

First Apple iMac: the mouse was shaped like a puck, so if you grabbed it without looking you could be holding it sideways

Apple II (i believe): the speaker is muffled because Jobs refused to put in holes to make the speaker loud enough to hear.

Apple Pippin - nuff said
    10-28-10 09:55 AM

manufacturing defects =/= stumble and losing focus

I'll just toss off a few things off the top of my head from multiple companies

Zune (until now)
    Microsoft Xbox (original one)
    Windows Phone 6.X
    Windows Vista
    Apple Newton
    Apple G4 Cube
    Apple Macbook AIR (until now)
    Motorola RAZR and all styled products
    BlackBerry lineup since Winter 08 (devices, OS)
    Sony (so many screw ups)

Microsoft and Sony are possibly the biggest notable screwups. MS is finally tying their products in together (windows, WP7, xbox 360, zune) similar to how Apple has been. Apples focus right now is to dominate every aspect of your life. Everything Apple makes is for the Apple Ecosystem Jobs detailed since early 2000 with the introduction of iPod.

iPhone/iPod > iPad > Mac > AppleTV...if you live in the Apple world their focus is on the entire experience and they pull it off well. Granted to pull this off you have to be on top of your game in everything you sell and competitors Google/MS on the computer/tablet/tv/phone look to best you at everything you do.

Apple will have another fall from grace, but it wont be as severe as it was back in the 90s. With so many products to fall back on they will be fine, even if they arent number one on anything. For RIM on the other hand, a one trick pony, to lose focus and stagnate is to be on the brink of bankruptcy (see Motorola).
    10-28-10 12:36 PM
    manufacturing defects =/= stumble and losing focus

I'll just toss off a few things off the top of my head from multiple companies

Zune (until now)
    Microsoft Xbox (original one)
    Windows Phone 6.X
    Windows Vista
    Apple Newton
    Apple G4 Cube
    Apple Macbook AIR (until now)
    Motorola RAZR and all styled products
    BlackBerry lineup since Winter 08 (devices, OS)
    Sony (so many screw ups)

Microsoft and Sony are possibly the biggest notable screwups. MS is finally tying their products in together (windows, WP7, xbox 360, zune) similar to how Apple has been. Apples focus right now is to dominate every aspect of your life. Everything Apple makes is for the Apple Ecosystem Jobs detailed since early 2000 with the introduction of iPod.

iPhone/iPod > iPad > Mac > AppleTV...if you live in the Apple world their focus is on the entire experience and they pull it off well. Granted to pull this off you have to be on top of your game in everything you sell and competitors Google/MS on the computer/tablet/tv/phone look to best you at everything you do.

Apple will have another fall from grace, but it wont be as severe as it was back in the 90s. With so many products to fall back on they will be fine, even if they arent number one on anything. For RIM on the other hand, a one trick pony, to lose focus and stagnate is to be on the brink of bankruptcy (see Motorola).
    All manufactures have had missteps, recalls are red flags. I don't see RIM being a one truck pony. They are a diversified phone manufacture and a provider of software IT infrastructure.

10-28-10 02:07 PM
    Or the competition brings on something that is revolutionary. The iPhone did that.
    Really, because if I remember correctly I was running linux on my tmobile MDA well before the iphone was released, doing everything the iphone did. ****, even windows mobile had copy and paste.

Apple doesn't revolutionize, they evolve what is already cutting edge, and make it easier for the masses.

Please don't confuse the comparison between an OS made for simpletons with a fully customizable system built on the foundation of security and freedom.

It's like comparing beer in a can vs beer in a bottle. Sure the bottle is harder to open, and the cans are easier to transport, but my god does the bottle make it better for those of us who invest the time.
    10-29-10 03:33 AM
    Really, because if I remember correctly I was running linux on my tmobile MDA well before the iphone was released, doing everything the iphone did. ****, even windows mobile had copy and paste.

Apple doesn't revolutionize, they evolve what is already cutting edge, and make it easier for the masses.

Please don't confuse the comparison between an OS made for simpletons with a fully customizable system built on the foundation of security and freedom.

It's like comparing beer in a can vs beer in a bottle. Sure the bottle is harder to open, and the cans are easier to transport, but my god does the bottle make it better for those of us who invest the time.
    It was revolutionary at it's time because it changed the face of the RIM and PALM, etc. dominated Smartphone market. Apple brought this specific genre of mobile electronics to the forefront of the mainstream public. It's funny how the Apple haters never want to give them credit for truly revolutionizing the smartphone market. You notice how many touchscreen phones there are now with Apps. Everyone has one why? Well I'll let you answer that.....
    10-29-10 03:58 AM
    It was revolutionary at it's time because it changed the face of the RIM and PALM, etc. dominated Smartphone market. Apple brought this specific genre of mobile electronics to the forefront of the mainstream public. It's funny how the Apple haters never want to give them credit for truly revolutionizing the smartphone market. You notice how many touchscreen phones there are now with Apps. Everyone has one why? Well I'll let you answer that.....
    RIM has a higher market share and PalmOS was NEVER designed from the ground up as a mobile OS[nor was windows mobile/ce]... so stop using past tense [dominated]. McDonalds brought fast food to the masses, it doesn't mean their food is good. I'm sorry that your technical ability falls into the "masses" category. It's ok though, George W Bush loves his iDevice as well.

Next.
    Last edited by Borborygm; 10-29-10 at 04:04 AM.
    10-29-10 04:01 AM
    What you said didn't address my response at all. All I said was it WAS revolutionary at the time of it's release because THE IPHONE changed the game of a Palm, and RIM dominated smartphone market. Did I say anything about Apple passing either of those companies? Ummmm no. Read bud before responding. Something as simple as that will take you far in this world.
    10-29-10 04:07 AM
    What you said didn't address my response at all. All I said was it WAS revolutionary at the time of it's release because THE IPHONE changed the game of a Palm, and RIM dominated smartphone market. Did I say anything about Apple passing either of those companies? Ummmm no. Read bud before responding. Something as simple as that will take you far in this world.
    Perhaps you should be more careful where you place your punctuation then.

It was revolutionary at it's time because it changed the face of the RIM and PALM, etc. dominated Smartphone market.
    Being a contender has nothing to do with being the best or anything to do with anything at all. Phones were going in that same direction anyways, with the best contenders of the early 2000~ era not pushing their best early. You have a very "American" view of this, as even Sony had great phones out back then that still to this day do everything the iDevices can do. It came down to marketing. Flashy doesn't equal good.
    10-29-10 04:13 AM
    So where did their best go after Apples iPhone? How come they didn't come out and contend with them? Where are they now? Oh you don't know either ok NEXT.....
    10-29-10 04:18 AM
    So where did their best go after Apples iPhone? How come they didn't come out and contend with them? Where are they now? Oh you don't know either ok NEXT.....
    Still making cells, as any company would. Again, "American" view as they are much much more popular in Europe and Asia. People have them here, but many carriers didn't carry these phones as Americans tend to go with what their carriers give them. Like feeding a dog. I for one was running full blown linux with a custom voip Asterisk server for free calls. Something you still cannot do with your phone today. Again, you're missing the point and going for easy. Best is never easy. Just like cars. Sure a Honda has more airbags, but they will never compete with Saleen/Ferrari/Lambo/Noble/Lotus that makes those sacrifices to be better.

Apple is well know for making hardware that is so much about form the function is ruined.

First Apple iMac: the mouse was shaped like a puck, so if you grabbed it without looking you could be holding it sideways

Apple II (i believe): the speaker is muffled because Jobs refused to put in holes to make the speaker loud enough to hear.

Apple Pippin - nuff said
    Don't forget the biggest blunder of them all. The switch to Intel. All those Gx owners out there having to choose between being fast [OSX Tiger] and having features [iTunes ten in OSX Leo]. I really feel for those with PowerPCs.

The previous iPhone users are now stuck with either "speed" in their older iOS versions, or "security", as Apple has to constantly fix bugs relating to remote and/or pin password in person bypassing issues.
    Last edited by Borborygm; 10-29-10 at 04:29 AM.
    10-29-10 04:23 AM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD