01-29-13 10:26 AM
28 12
tools
    i will be adding this guy to my 'fail list'
    01-28-13 06:58 PM
    I understand only a very small bit about M2M that RIM is pursuing with QNX but the main take-away for me is this:

Put these trends together with Heins’ oddly-timed comments about a potential hardware sale, and it’s tough to get excited about this week’s BlackBerry 10 launch. It may just be a lot of sound and fury that ultimately won’t matter much, since RIM’s real interests – and future – lay elsewhere.
    01-28-13 08:50 PM
    The problem that the author is touching on but never actually states is one of supply chain and parts cost. RIM does not make any of the base components other then the shell (That I know of) but rather buy parts and puts them together. Their purchasing power is not very strong when compared to the competition and when comparing to Samsung who actually make the lcd themselves and indeed sell to others. This means for equally spec'ed hardware RIM will either be higher priced or making less per phone and as competition heats up and margins are squeezed it will be tougher for RIM's hardware division to make money.

If QNX is as great as they say and BB10 Software / BES 10 are the best thing going then RIM would be better off as a software company. The google model is one to consider where you concentrate on the services, licence the phone software to several manufactures and contract 1 manufacturer every couple of years to build a RIM Edition Blackberry.
    01-29-13 10:26 AM
28 12