I stumbled across this, and found it interesting. It goes into detail on how RIM is embracing open source for many things, which definitely shows RIM changing in how they do things from a development perspective.

Can open source save RIM? - The H Open Source: News and Features
    03-13-12 11:44 AM
    Open source will be huge for RIM. The QNX platform is POSIX certified, supporting hundreds of libraries. RIM is also encouraging devs to build extensions and API's. This is cool.

The open source development nature will compound available source code, allowing for a resource rich community. I see some great things unfolding
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-13-12 12:09 PM
    Open source is a great thing nowadays. It enables cross-platform availability for apps, API and extensions. I love the fact that my playbook runs QNX which is linux by heart!
    03-13-12 06:43 PM
    QNX is not Linux. Just as Mercedes is not BMW. They are competitors.

But anyway, it is interesting to note that when RIM bought QNX, they closed it. Perhaps they should reconsider that decision and also open things like Cascades if they are finding it difficult to finish it on their own.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 03-13-12 at 08:40 PM.
    03-13-12 08:36 PM
    I have a feeling there will always be non-free/non-open source hardware and software, but it would be a great sight to see things get open more.
    03-13-12 08:38 PM
    Open source will be huge for RIM. The QNX platform is POSIX certified, supporting hundreds of libraries. RIM is also encouraging devs to build extensions and API's. This is cool.

The open source development nature will compound available source code, allowing for a resource rich community. I see some great things unfolding
    Do you really believe all of this cheerleading stuff or do you work for RIM? Sorry but your posts are so rose colored positive and saccharin, a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts would be part of a path to come down off that high. It is just an OS. It also has virtually no traction in the mobile arena, other than the industrial applications that already existed.
    03-13-12 10:00 PM
    swyost
    look at the positives.
    Blacklatino and hpjrt like this.
    03-13-12 10:02 PM
    Do you really believe all of this cheerleading stuff or do you work for RIM? Sorry but your posts are so rose colored positive and saccharin, a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts would be part of a path to come down off that high. It is just an OS. It also has virtually no traction in the mobile arena, other than the industrial applications that already existed.
    Does that make you Debbie Downer? Is it hard to believe that fans of a platform would be optimistic about positive things for that platform? We are well aware of the reality and the faults of BB/RIM, and we don't need to be reminded constantly about it (especially to an exaggerated degree).
    03-13-12 11:48 PM
    Wow! It's a sad day when a member can't post positive comments about RIM. D*mn! Can't we have a break from the norm of negativity towards RIM and allow something positive to be posted without someone trying to tear it down? OP. Thanks for posting.

@missing_K-W

Shake the haters off.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 03-14-12 at 12:17 AM.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    03-14-12 12:15 AM
    Add the fact they are embracing HTML5 also for development. No more of the "it's so hard to develop for Blackberry because it's Java" complaints.

It will also help that 3rd party open source tools can work with there HTML5 development.

Half of the developers I speak of look shocked when I show them the option of using HTML5 for developing both BBOS and BB10 applications.
    03-14-12 10:48 AM
    This is a last time I respond to one of your comments. It has become very evident that your posts are nothing but negative drivel. I really hope you contribute more to your life and society then you do to the forums
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-14-12 at 06:32 PM.
    03-14-12 06:29 PM
    Open source won't just save RIM. It will save the world
    03-15-12 06:59 PM
    What benefits does open source bring ??

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 Device
    03-15-12 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD