Just saw this and it made me smile...
    BlackBerry
    Here's the text :

Whenever a new device comes out, we look for the killer feature that justifies its existence among a crowded field of competitors. Not every device rises to the challenge. Even the iPhone 5 has features that either match or fall short of its (largely Samsung-sourced) competition. Samsung appears to take great pleasure in pointing this out in ads.

Well, the new BlackBerry 10 phones do have a killer feature. We tend to take it for granted, but it is likely the most undervalued killer feature in smartphones today: It has potentially unlimited battery life.

Battery life

I donít care how good a display a phone has, how fast a network, or how big a screen. All of these are compelling features, but if the battery is dead, the phone is just an expensive doorstop. Most current-generation phones not only have sealed-in batteries that canít be swapped, they are getting smaller and smaller and manufacturers chase each other to get thinner and thinner. This would be like if you had a bunch of cars running out of gas on the road while car manufacturers competed with each other over who could have the smallest gas tank. Many of the newest phones donít even make it through a day.

Well, the Blackberry 10 not only has a replaceable battery, it has an external charging option Ė a case to hold the spare battery so that it can be charged alongside with the BlackBerry, and even plugged into the phone so you can keep working without having to reboot to replace the battery. This could give you nearly unlimited battery life.

Until we get broadcast power working, or inductive charging becomes more common with devices, this approach is arguably the best in the market because it was designed as a solution to a real problem.

Why not just use a battery-boosting case?

Mostly because these cases donít work that well. First, they take an otherwise slim and light phone, (two factors you likely used to justify your decision to buy it) and turn it into a chubby, heavy phone. Second, they often donít charge the phone properly, or donít fully charge themselves, which basically leaves you with a chubby, heavy phone with no battery life. The worst of all worlds.

Better for everyone, and the environment

The whole idea of built-in batteries, which Apple pioneered with the iPod (and was subsequently sued for), was a really bad one. The primary reason isnít because the battery canít be replaced when it runs out of power, itís because batteries wear out quickly when you constantly charge and discharge them. When they do, most folks toss their phone into a landfill rather than paying to install a new battery. Not a great solution considering these batteries are also toxic. For those of us who recycle batteries, having the ability to pull out and recycle the phone battery not only allows to use our phone longer, or pass it on to someone who needs it, but allows us to more easily protect the environment.

So in one fell swoop, BlackBerry came up with a feature that not only addresses the dead phone problem, but helps the device last longer and potentially helps the environment. Now thatís my idea of a killer feature
    02-02-13 05:42 PM
    Nice to hear. Just funny how some reviews say the Z10 has a great battery life, and then some say it's supposedly abysmal.

So what is it?
    02-02-13 05:53 PM
    Nice to hear. Just funny how some reviews say the Z10 has a great battery life, and then some say it's supposedly abysmal.

So what is it?
    It will vary greatly with usage patterns and reception.
    02-02-13 06:29 PM
    so he is glowing about an external battery charger?

OK i clicked the link but still no good views of what he is talking about. I would like to see this case.
    02-02-13 06:36 PM
    OK i clicked the link but still no good views of what he is talking about. I would like to see this case.
    Same. This is the first time I've ever heard of a case designed for the external charger.
    02-02-13 06:46 PM
    I'm confused by what he is saying also.
    If I understand correctly he is talking about a case that houses a spare battery. Instead of switching batteries you are switching power sources( from one battery to the other) without powering down. It would certainly be possible without adding much bulk. Maybe just the thickness of plastic and the battery. If the author is saying what I think he is saying its a great idea. If he is not I'm going to get to work on the drawings.
    02-02-13 06:54 PM
    Like a Mophie?
    02-02-13 07:02 PM
    Like a Mophie?
    That Mophie is good looking but I wouldn't have something like that plugged into any port all the time.
    02-02-13 07:07 PM
    If BB has something like this we would have seen it at the launch i would think. Then again BB didnt show much at all at the launch event
    02-02-13 07:15 PM
    its an accessory.. it is even in Crackberry's store.. not so sure that it comes with the phone.

BlackBerry Battery Charger Bundle (ACC-50256-101) for Z10 | BlackBerry Batteries | CrackBerry Canada
    02-02-13 07:22 PM
    It made more sense the second time I read it. He's just referring to the battery charger holding the spare battery.
    TGaT likes this.
    02-02-13 07:25 PM
    02-02-13 07:30 PM
    well if that is the case that isnt really anything new. I have one for my galaxy nexus too. I was thinking of something completely different like an actual case for the phone and such
    02-02-13 07:33 PM
    Can't wait for a full video review of this accessory
    02-02-13 07:36 PM
    well if that is the case that isnt really anything new. I have one for my galaxy nexus too. I was thinking of something completely different like an actual case for the phone and such
    Yeah I was thinking of a case with battery. I guess the title " killer feature " made me think it was something that hasn't been done already.
    02-02-13 07:48 PM
    Actually I thought the author is talking about removable batteries and how they can be swapped out and even changed if the battery dies therefore reducing toxic waste etc. I got the sense that he wasn't too impressed with charging cases and prefer to swap out the battery.
    02-03-13 02:33 AM

view kevins unboxing of the Z10, it shows an extra battery with the booster pack
    02-03-13 03:04 AM
    Checkout the blackberry Z10 unboxing by Kevin. He opened up his box and besides the phone and charger, he also got extra battery with case and connecting cable that chargers the phone on the go. Besides that, the Bluetooth/NFC external speaker looks sweet too...
    If only we can get the same package (BIG box) with the purchase of Z10, it'll definitely make my day..
    02-03-13 05:33 AM
    This spare battery charger is familiar to many old BBOS users. I have two of this kind of charger (albeit different model) for my 9900.

But the one for Z10 has additional feature. It comes with a built in cable. Instead of using just swapping spare battery, you can now if u want just plug the charger into a Z10 and it seems the full battery in the charger will charge the spent one inside phone. Just like a third party battery booster.

Not ground-shakingly new but additional feature which I happen to find useful.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    02-03-13 05:52 AM
    I still think the idea of a hot swappable battery is a better one.
    Chaddface likes this.
    02-03-13 09:57 AM
    I still think the idea of a hot swappable battery is a better one.
    ... But would require at least three batteries, or two batteries and an outlet. For it to be 'hot swappable', something (other than the dead battery, and the one it is about to be replaced with) needs to keep it on. This is pretty easy to do by just adding a parallel power circuit (literally Micro-USB, battery and phone, in parallel) that so that the device still sees a power source even if the other (main battery or wall charger) is removed. Not sure why they don't, space constraints or charge-management processing issues perhaps.

The spare battery charger attachment is nice, but it's basically like those Energizer-branded 'emergency' chargers that use much cheaper AA batteries. Also sounds like that massive battery pack sold for the Sega Gamegear back in the good-ol' 90s...

Ah yes, "innovation is in the eye of the ignorant"... Indeed.
    02-03-13 10:27 AM

Im pretty sure it is the on CB is selling
    02-03-13 12:24 PM
    yeah that is what we have decided it is also...we where looking for something else though
    FSeverino likes this.
    02-03-13 12:46 PM
    ... But would require at least three batteries, or two batteries and an outlet. For it to be 'hot swappable', something (other than the dead battery, and the one it is about to be replaced with) needs to keep it on.
    sorry, kinda carried that over from another thread where we were discussing a small non removable battery or internal capacitor in the phone to keep it on for 2 minutes or so while the user changes the dead batter for a full one.
    02-03-13 02:33 PM