Would make sense to go ahead and admit the end of BB10 at this point, and let everyone know that what is left of the BB10 inventory is all there will ever be.

But I expect that Chen will keep offering rebranded hardware. The question is does the userbase justify a "custom" PKB phone?
    bibbula and StephanieMaks like this.
    09-23-16 11:30 AM
    Lol.. that's a LOT of crappy 'evidence'.
    09-23-16 11:56 AM
    Would make sense to go ahead and admit the end of BB10 at this point, and let everyone know that what is left of the BB10 inventory is all there will ever be.

But I expect that Chen will keep offering rebranded hardware. The question is does the userbase justify a "custom" PKB phone?
    I notice they have slashed the passport to �240 in the UK clearing out inventory?
    09-23-16 12:04 PM
    I notice they have slashed the passport to �240 in the UK clearing out inventory?
    Passport going for $249 in the U.S., Silver Edition for $299.

I just ordered a SE. Even if it's only supported another couple years it will be well worth it. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    09-23-16 12:11 PM
    Lol.. that's a LOT of crappy 'evidence'.
    Vicious cycle much?

- BlackBerry Earnings Release approach
    - Stock "analyst" sites recycle misquotes, old interviews for an article
    - "Tech" sites starts reposting the crap from the said "analysts"
    - "Debate" starts on CrackBerry

FWIW, the two sites posting about this right now, Android Headlines and Phone Arena once said the STV100-3 was the Rome and never bothered correcting it...
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 09-23-16 at 02:56 PM.
    09-23-16 01:00 PM
    Don't they all quote the same Motley Fool article?
    09-23-16 01:02 PM
    Don't they all quote the same Motley Fool article?
    Phone Arena did, Android Headlines didn't even bother quoting anything, just citing a "rumour" in the main article. They took it off a different site.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    09-23-16 01:09 PM
    Passport going for $249 in the U.S., Silver Edition for $299.

I just ordered a SE. Even if it's only supported another couple years it will be well worth it. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

"supported" has a number of meanings..... It will work for years to come, to one degree or another. Things like Blend and LINK won't as they are no longer under development and thus will be affected by changes to MacOS and Windows, and of course Android app compatibility will be "stuck" to Android 4.3.

But yeah BlackBerry will provide warranty support for 365 days after you buy your phone, and they have promised (for what that is worth) another security patch next year sometime (if they ever get 10.3.3 out). And LTE powered phones should work just fine for years to come... So I can see a two year old Passport lasting their owner another two or three years.
    09-23-16 01:15 PM
    Vicious cycle much?

- BlackBerry Earnings Release approach
    - Stock "analyst" sites recycle misquotes old interviews for an article
    - "Tech" sites starts reposting the crap from the said "analysts"
    - "Debate" starts on CrackBerry

FWIW, the two sites posting about this right now, Android Headlines and Phone Arena once said the STV100-3 was the Rome and never bothered correcting it...
    The best is how it's always the same sources. Motley Fool, Seeking Alpha. Places where you anyone can write anything and have it be approved.
    Laura Knotek and bakron1 like this.
    09-23-16 02:06 PM
    True.

The DTEK 50 was not made by or even for BlackBerry. Yet it's a BlackBerry phone. Chen is turning BlackBerry into a software company. Hardware will be bought loaded with BlackBerry software and then sold as a BlackBerry phone.

Let's be real. Microsoft IS NOT a computer company. They are a software company. Did they ever make a computer? Do they now?

This is just part of the work Chen is doing to make BlackBerry profitable.

Posted via CB10
    They do make a computer. It's called the SurfaceBook.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-23-16 02:15 PM
    Despite earlier reports that BlackBerry is prepping a follow-up device to the recently released DTEK50, an investment website says that there are clues that the once proud smartphone manufacturer is about to close its hardware division.

BlackBerry to close its hardware division on September 28th?

Posted via CB10
    No surprise since the DTEK phones are just re-badged phones from another company.
    09-23-16 02:40 PM
    True.

The DTEK 50 was not made by or even for BlackBerry. Yet it's a BlackBerry phone. Chen is turning BlackBerry into a software company. Hardware will be bought loaded with BlackBerry software and then sold as a BlackBerry phone.

Let's be real. Microsoft IS NOT a computer company. They are a software company. Did they ever make a computer? Do they now?

This is just part of the work Chen is doing to make BlackBerry profitable.

Posted via CB10
    Funny. We just rolled out dozens of Microsoft Surfaces in the last year. Seem like a little hard to be just software.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-23-16 02:42 PM
    "supported" has a number of meanings..... It will work for years to come, to one degree or another. Things like Blend and LINK won't as they are no longer under development and thus will be affected by changes to MacOS and Windows, and of course Android app compatibility will be "stuck" to Android 4.3.

But yeah BlackBerry will provide warranty support for 365 days after you buy your phone, and they have promised (for what that is worth) another security patch next year sometime (if they ever get 10.3.3 out). And LTE powered phones should work just fine for years to come... So I can see a two year old Passport lasting their owner another two or three years.
    All valid points. Blend has already been officially EOL'd as of the end of July. But I'm one of those geeks who, up until recently, still had a Bold 9900 in my smartphone rotation, so I can see myself using my Passport for at least a few more years (as long as core functionality like email, calendars, and browser remain usable).

Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-23-16 02:49 PM
    Funny. We just rolled out dozens of Microsoft Surfaces in the last year. Seem like a little hard to be just software.
    Yup, and they are doing quite well.
    09-23-16 04:00 PM
    They do make a computer. It's called the SurfaceBook.
    The Surface and Surface Pro line are clearly computers as well.
    09-23-16 04:35 PM
    "Stops making hardware" is not the same as "Stops selling hardware" :-)
    You might be on to something.

Maybe the borrowing of 'reference designs' from other companies can be interpreted as "closing the hardware business" since the bulk of the Android 'BlackBerry sauce' is software.

 Passport filter-evading the NSA  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    09-23-16 04:40 PM
    BlackBerry just launched the PRIV in Korea. They hadn't sold phones there in years. Why would they do that if they intended to shut everything down?

Aaaa the Q10.
    I like your perspective like the old daily posts about the 9900. And I hope you love the Q10 just like the 9900
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    09-23-16 04:44 PM
    BlackBerry just launched the PRIV in Korea. They hadn't sold phones there in years. Why would they do that if they intended to shut everything down?

They can always pull an HP, but I trust Chen is not Apotheker.

HP has neither balls nor brains | webOS Nation
    09-23-16 04:59 PM
    Even if it isn't true, most people believe the first thing they see and that means they believe the headline. Most will take that headline at face value and not research it themselves! That causes even more damage......if it is false..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Bay 13 likes this.
    09-23-16 05:26 PM
    The Surface and Surface Pro line are clearly computers as well.
    Yup.
    09-23-16 05:51 PM

Stab me in the heart again! I almost put this behind me.
    09-23-16 06:04 PM

This has to be my favourite concluding salutation ever.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    09-23-16 07:08 PM
    Even if it isn't true, most people believe the first thing they see and that means they believe the headline. Most will take that headline at face value and not research it themselves! That causes even more damage......if it is false..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    True statement. Some people have already decided not to buy a Dtek50 after reading that article. I have a Priv..I told them that they have been saying this for years about Blackberry.
    09-23-16 09:00 PM
    Also, as I noted in another thread..

People need to consider what 'getting out of the hardware' business means. To me, it means no longer releasing smartphones but so many others have different perceptions and arguments that could be made for what it means to them.
    09-23-16 09:35 PM
    Sigewif likes this.
    09-24-16 11:17 AM
83 1234