Despite earlier reports that BlackBerry is prepping a follow-up device to the recently released DTEK50, an investment website says that there are clues that the once proud smartphone manufacturer is about to close its hardware division.

BlackBerry to close its hardware division on September 28th?

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 11:13 AM
    Despite earlier reports that BlackBerry is prepping a follow-up device to the recently released DTEK50, an investment website says that there are clues that the once proud smartphone manufacturer is about to close its hardware division.

BlackBerry to close its hardware division on September 28th?

Posted via CB10
    They have been outsourcing all their devices since Chen came in anyways. All the layoffs have also been in their handsets division if I am not wrong. So this was bound to happen. Blackberry is essentially locking up the hardware offices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    jamescpage likes this.
    09-22-16 11:17 AM
    BS, this means nothing. They had a sale prior to the last several earnings calls. And a few more in between, for good measure.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    09-22-16 11:22 AM
    'BlackBerry CEO John Chan' lol yeah right...

09-22-16 11:40 AM
    09-22-16 11:41 AM
    Source: some dude.
    09-22-16 11:48 AM
    Life goes on even if they close company. There are LOTS of phones out in the market.

🔥 📶
    09-22-16 11:57 AM
    Lol, people fell for this? They couldn't even get Chen name spelled right lol

Q10Bold and Bay 13 like this.
    09-22-16 12:49 PM
    Lol, people fell for this? They couldn't even get Chen name spelled right lol

Take care of gramamar. Who knows maybe the next comment will be done form an Iphone.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 01:32 PM
    "An investment website"

Yeah no ulterior motive on this one!

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    09-22-16 01:56 PM
    This story is a great demonstration of my maxim that any headline which ends in a question mark can be answered by the word "no." The reason why journalists use that style of headline is that they know the story is probably bull****, and don’t actually have the sources and facts to back it up, but still want to run it.
    I love this. Applies to so much journalistic garbage nowadays floating around the web.

The answer to this question is, no. At least not on "September 28th 2016". I'd bet a fortune against this headline being accurate if I could short it.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    09-22-16 02:01 PM
    Remember the "analyst" who crashed BlackBerry stock prices by saying more Z10s were being returned than were being sold? He was eventually successfully prosecuted but the harm was done.
    However, Bloomberg BB10's app shows the stock going up on the TSE in the last 5 days, including 1.18% today.

BB, Still the One
    09-22-16 03:31 PM
    Remember the "analyst" who crashed BlackBerry stock prices by saying more Z10s were being returned than were being sold? He was eventually successfully prosecuted but the harm was done.
    What the analyst actually said was:

Perhaps worse, according to a report from Detwiler Fenton, customer returns of the Z10 are actually outnumbering sales.

“We believe key retail partners have seen a significant increase in Z10 returns to the point where, in several cases, returns are now exceeding sales, a phenomenon we have never seen before,” Detwiler analyst Jeff Johnston writes in the report.
    Now BBRY fans always hold this up as a story about how analysts made stuff up and were found out... except.. it was true and correct. The trial was actually about the fact that he paid a verizon franchise exec for insider information not that the information was false.
    early2bed, bibbula, kirson and 6 others like this.
    09-22-16 04:26 PM
    Please say it ain't so?
    Sigewif likes this.
    09-22-16 04:48 PM
    What the analyst actually said was:

Now BBRY fans always hold this up as a story about how analysts made stuff up and were found out... except.. it was true and correct. The trial was actually about the fact that he paid a verizon franchise exec for insider information not that the information was false.
    Well the way he said it wasn't "true", that's why he was investigated. If I remember correctly these guys were a small firm trying to get attention.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 05:09 PM
    I prefer the old and most reliable method, when it happens in reality then we can all say what's on our mind. Until that time comes, I wouldn't loose any sleep over speculation.
    09-22-16 06:52 PM
    I saw an article like that (end of hardware article) and came right over here to CrackBerry to get another angle. The article I saw was posted on Yahoo. Seemed like click-bait. It was old news because it took what Chen said months ago about handsets which he seemingly modified in the last quarterly report, and at the same time hired a sales person for hardware. For months I was the only person I knew with a Priv. Recently 2 people I know got Privs. So they are still selling. There are ads for them on some major websites along with DTEK 50. Sales by B&H Photo and Sears online.
    09-22-16 10:47 PM
    BlackBerry just launched the PRIV in Korea. They hadn't sold phones there in years. Why would they do that if they intended to shut everything down?

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    Bay 13, dlrogers81 and bibbula like this.
    09-23-16 07:46 AM
    "Stops making hardware" is not the same as "Stops selling hardware" :-)
    09-23-16 08:33 AM
    ^^ agree. Sounds right

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 08:36 AM
    Take care of gramamar. Who knows maybe the next comment will be done form an Iphone.

Posted via CB10
    snet form i my Pone
    oldtimeBBaddict and eiruvrav like this.
    09-23-16 08:37 AM
    "Stops making hardware" is not the same as "Stops selling hardware" :-)
    True.

The DTEK 50 was not made by or even for BlackBerry. Yet it's a BlackBerry phone. Chen is turning BlackBerry into a software company. Hardware will be bought loaded with BlackBerry software and then sold as a BlackBerry phone.

Let's be real. Microsoft IS NOT a computer company. They are a software company. Did they ever make a computer? Do they now?

This is just part of the work Chen is doing to make BlackBerry profitable.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73, TCB on Z10 and Bay 13 like this.
    09-23-16 08:46 AM
    I have learned that you can't go by speculation very much when it comes to BlackBerry. It's always a waiting game, and usually we don't know the facts until they actually have these earnings calls, etc..
    09-23-16 09:02 AM
    Closing the hardware division would leave BlackBerry focused on its highly regarded software

There's nothing special about their software at all. BBM and Hub for Android - lol. And there are plenty other good MDM solutions out there.

BlackBerry was special because it combined hardware and software. Without the hardware, they are nothing special at all.
    Biggles likes this.
    09-23-16 09:08 AM
    BlackBerry Is Not Yet Quitting The Smartphone Business - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

Another one.

BlackBerry is discontinuing some BB 10 OS handsets.
    For crying out loud, finish the job already...
    andy957 and mithrazor like this.
    09-23-16 11:09 AM
83 123 ...