They can take their 400 hand sets and switch to the ever so "effective, reliable and stable communication capable" iPhone 5

BlackBerry Being Dropped by U.S. Agency Over Reliability Issues - Businessweek

Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM)�s BlackBerry is being dropped by the U.S. government agency that investigates plane accidents because of the device�s reliability issues.

The National Transportation Safety Board disclosed its plan to switch to Apple Inc.�s iPhone 5 in a document posted last week to a federal website. The BlackBerrys have been �failing both at inopportune times and at an unacceptable rate,� according to the NTSB�s notice.

The 400-employee agency �requires effective, reliable and stable communication capabilities to carry out its primary investigative mission and to ensure employee safety in remote locations,� it wrote.

RIM, based in Waterloo, Ontario, has been hit by recent defections from U.S. agencies and is counting on its new BlackBerry 10 devices to shore up business among its more than 1 million government customers in North America.

Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins said last week he expects at least 400,000 government customers in North America to embrace BlackBerry 10 in a wave of device upgrades.

The new operating system is at the heart of RIM�s comeback attempt, following years of market-share losses to Apple (AAPL)�s iPhone and devices running Google Inc.�s (GOOG) Android operating system.
    11-20-12 12:46 PM
    So untrue IMO.
    You know that the procurement decision makers made that up just so they can have an iPhone, right?
    mithrazor and Stewartj1 like this.
    11-20-12 12:50 PM
    I wonder what the reliability issues are and how old the phones are.
    BB10FTW and john_v like this.
    11-20-12 12:55 PM
    So untrue IMO.
    You know that the procurement decision makers made that up just so they can have an iPhone, right?
    Exactly! I take most of this with a grain of salt anyways. I'm sure that RIM has already spoken with all of their top clients and they all know whats coming down the pipe.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-20-12 01:05 PM
    So untrue IMO.
    I'm praying that this was meant as sarcasm, and you don't actually believe that someone in that position of authority would make a decision like this in order to get a free $500 phone.
    11-20-12 01:06 PM
    I'm praying that this was meant as sarcasm, and you don't actually believe that someone in that position of authority would make a decision like this in order to get a free $500 phone.
    While unlikely in this case, it isnt out of the realm of possibility. Lest we forget the whole GSA debacle.

As to the article, I am guessing they are using older devices, and instead of waiting for BB10, they need to address the issue now. 400 users is not even a blip, but the article does draw attention to the fact.
    pkcable and kbz1960 like this.
    11-20-12 01:12 PM
    This coming off a 2 month stretch with iMessage being down...and now BIS/BES outages?
    11-20-12 01:18 PM
    "discolsed a plan" End of story.
    jasonvan9 likes this.
    11-20-12 01:23 PM
    NTSB - I hope NTSB releases a study on how many deaths occur each year because people are too busy responding to text messages, playing games, and fiddling with their iPhones while driving. Some agencies have less brain than others.
    11-20-12 01:23 PM
    NTSB - I hope NTSB releases a study on how many deaths occur each year because people are too busy responding to text messages, playing games, and fiddling with their iPhones while driving. Some agencies have less brain than others.
    Seriously??? Are you being serious ? Somehow Blackberrys dont receive emails and/or text and/or phone calls and have games and other random apps deactivated while while driving?
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    11-20-12 01:27 PM
    If you don't believe that happens all the time, I'm not sure what to say...
    Anyway, that's only my opinion.
    You can have yours, and I won't quote you and question you about it either.
    BBMak and needforbbx like this.
    11-20-12 01:28 PM
    400 phones? Why is this even news?
    BB10FTW and .pinkberry like this.
    11-20-12 01:38 PM
    I think it made the news because of the reason they chose to make the switch...honestly, with a device like a blackberry which is so customizable, they are better off with a simpler UI phone which cannot be tampered with. Speaks volumes of the faith they put in their employees' abilities
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-20-12 01:59 PM
    BB attitude at work.
    "X number of BB's being dropped, who cares?"
    "Who cares if X app is available on Android/IOS? BB is all about BBM and BB Browser."
    That attitude brought RIM from #1 to 3,4 or 5 or where ever they are right now.
    litig8or98 likes this.
    11-20-12 02:04 PM
    400 phones? Why is this even news?
    Indeed, why is this news? That it is important for RIM not to lose a single U.S. governmental agency as a customer is obvious, but why should we know? It's not an amount of phones that gets you 'wowing,' or anything.
    11-20-12 02:16 PM
    I wonder what the reliability issues are and how old the phones are.
    Good question. With gov't procurement moving at the pace that it does, I wouldn't be surprised if they're still on OS5 or 6.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-20-12 02:30 PM
    let this die down please.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-20-12 03:07 PM
    Seriously??? Are you being serious ? Somehow Blackberrys dont receive emails and/or text and/or phone calls and have games and other random apps deactivated while while driving?
    I forgot to add Android to that statement.
    11-20-12 03:55 PM
    this would be news if it was a complaint on BB10, but whining about obsolete phones? who cares?
    11-20-12 04:11 PM
    So untrue IMO.
    Taurus Hamilton( manager Your Trading Room L.A. - Capital Markets) > behold > Frank Perla NTSB, nuff said,lol. Now play nice Franky or I may feed you to the wolves.
    11-20-12 05:47 PM
    this would be news if it was a complaint on BB10, but whining about obsolete phones? who cares?
    Of you haven't noticed BB10 is not out yet, so no source for complaints.

I would say the 80 million users of what you called "obsolete phones" care. That's who. You know, the folks keeping RIM afloat right now.

Gesh...

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    11-20-12 07:24 PM
    Taurus Hamilton( manager Your Trading Room L.A. - Capital Markets) > behold > Frank Perla NTSB, nuff said,lol. Now play nice Franky or I may feed you to the wolves.
    Ummm, Lulz..........
    11-20-12 09:19 PM
    Ironically, this is probably the daftest post i've ever read on Crackberry.
    kdna likes this.
    11-21-12 12:41 AM
    You think there'd be a news article if RIM signed an agency to 400 BBs? Nope. Cause they have somehow just magically grew their user base by 2 million in the previous quarter. Or maybe it was just 2 million consumers, but... thats not possible either is it, well it is, as long as we live in the distortion field were we are all meant to have the same phone.

But to be honest I feel like there isn't as much negative news on RIM, despite the fact they haven't release anything yet and their current devices are aging. We need more RIM news to keep BBs on people minds cause BB10 is going to come outta nowhere for the majority of people.

effective communication? Guess they haven't tried i(didntgeta)Message yet
    kbz1960, Cesare21 and john_v like this.
    11-21-12 01:55 AM
    This should not surprise anyone. ICE opened the door wide open.
    It's not about this agency and its 400 employees. Keep track of the agencies as they go by.

And to the "sitting around playing games" comment....do grow up.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-21-12 05:13 AM
116 123 ...