BlackBerry 10 Smartphones: 10 Features These Devices Need to Thrive
    link
    By: Don Reisinger
    2012-03-26

NEWS ANALYSIS: RIM is reportedly launching new BlackBerry 10 devices later this year. However, these RIM smartphones will need several features in order to be successful.

Research In Motion was once the company that all others compared themselves to in the mobile space. RIM was the firm that understood how to appeal to enterprise users, found a way to target consumers through the office, and along the way, dramatically improved the way in which those customers interacted with their smartphones. Without RIM�s lessons, it might have been extremely difficult for Apple to have delivered the iPhone.

But unfortunately for RIM, Apple did deliver the iPhone. And now, Apple�s smartphone, as well as Android-based handsets, are dominating the mobile space. RIM, meanwhile, is left to hope that it can turn things around with its upcoming software launch, BlackBerry 10. That operating system, RIM says, will carry the company well into the next several years.

Although it�s hard to know what exactly BlackBerry 10 will look like or what features it will ship with, RIM does plan to provide prototypes to developers in May. This likely paves the way for a launch later this year. But in order for that operating system and the devices running it to be successful, several things must first fall into place.

1. A solid design

Want to know the secret to Apple�s success? Design. The company knows how to build software and hardware that people want to use -- and show off to others. RIM, meanwhile, doesn�t do anything of the sort. In order for BlackBerry 10 to be successful, it must work well and be stylish, and run on devices that deliver the same feel.

2. Big displays

RIM has historically made the odd decision to offer up devices that come with very, very small displays. The Torch and Storm2 are only exceptions to that rule. With BlackBerry 10 devices, RIM must forgo the past and deliver devices with big displays. At this point, a 4.3-inch screen should be the company�s minimum display offering.

3. Ditch the physical keyboard

As much as RIM executives don�t want to believe it, the physical keyboard is a major issue for consumers and enterprise users that are considering buying new devices. The physical keyboard is a relic of the past and something that most customers don�t want any longer. And yet, RIM continues to deliver it. With BlackBerry 10, RIM must wake up and realize that it�s going about the mobile space all wrong.

4. Responsive software

One of the biggest issues with RIM�s BlackBerry 7 is that it lacks the kind of responsiveness found in Apple iOS. Like it or not, RIM�s BlackBerry operating system cannot match Apple�s platform and unless BlackBerry 10 achieves that feat, expect RIM to continue to slide in the mobile space. BlackBerry 10 is a make-or-break offering for the mobile firm.

5. Developers must sign up

One of the biggest issues with RIM�s BlackBerry operating system is that it lacks adequate developer support. For now, third-party vendors are content to develop apps for Android and Apple iOS and leave BlackBerry OS out in the cold. If RIM wants to make BlackBerry 10 a success, it�ll need to change that -- or else.

6. A familiar experience -- to Android and iOS users

Going from BlackBerry OS to Android or iOS is a groundbreaking moment, for sure. Apple�s operating system is fresh, fun, and intuitive; the same might be said for Android. RIM�s operating system, meanwhile, harkens back to the old days and leaves many customers befuddled when they first break it out of the box. It�s time for RIM to offer up a familiar experience in BlackBerry 10 to Android and iOS users.

7. A launch that comes sooner rather than later

There was some talk that BlackBerry 10 would make an appearance at the end of 2011. But right around when RIM was supposed to launch the software, the company announced that launch would come later this year. That�s an issue. The longer RIM�s current devices sit on store shelves, the less likely they�ll be able to attract new customers. BlackBerry 10 must launch sooner rather than later.

8. Think about the PlayBook

RIM�s BlackBerry PlayBook is still on store shelves, despite selling a relatively small number of units since its launch last year. Although the PlayBook comes with its share of flaws, RIM says it�ll eventually bring BlackBerry 10 to the tablet. It�s a smart idea. Like Apple, RIM must offer the same experience on all of its mobile devices. To not do that would be a huge mistake.

9. Remember pricing

Looking around the mobile space, one will quickly find that BlackBerry devices are somewhat expensive. The BlackBerry Bold, for example, is available for $200 on AT&T�s service -- the same price as the iPhone 4S. When RIM launches BlackBerry 10, it must find a way to get carriers to reduce the price on its new offerings. RIM can�t survive at the same price as the iPhone -- and it�s about time everyone understands that.

10. A new way for executives to think

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, RIM must not allow its old ideas to seep through into BlackBerry 10. Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie didn�t know how to address RIM�s troubles and the company faltered. Now, Thorsten Heins says he plans to follow much of the same strategy. It�s a mistake. RIM�s board needs to convince its executives how to rethink their strategies. To not do so could be disastrous for the mobile firm.
    1: A Solid Design
    I agree that Apple knows how to Make Hardware and Software, but to say that is apples only secret to success is an insult to Apples biggest Strength, which is Marketing. RIM DOES make Excellent hardware, just not the main stream desired form factor, THAT is what RIM needs to do, RIM does Need a Solid Design, that is a joy to use, and it needs to be on a Touchscreen form factor at launch, the insults to RIM were not needed.

2: Big Displays
    I agree the FIRST BB10 device must be a BIG display 4"-4.3" anything else would be a bad move.

3: Ditch the physical Keyboard
    As much as Freelance pundits don't realize is that there are some jobs and times when the touchscreen phone doesn't work, does the pundit give up on the laptop because tablets exist?
    RIM has remained relevant in the last 2 years at all in North America because there still are niche groups that want the Keyboard, RIM must embrace All touch, and treat it as an Equal to the Keyboard, but they Keyboard must not be ignored, or RIM kills their core user base, and one of their most distinguishing feature. when people give up Laptop keyboard for typing on glass, then RIM should give up the iconic Bold form factor

4: Responsive Software
    This sounds like someone who used a Curve model OS7 device and hasn't used OS7 since, OS7.1 on the 9900, and 9790 are both extremely snappy and fluid, what RIM lacks is the App Ecosystem, Boot speed, and friendly touch interface, the OS itself is well done still for a non touchscreen environment and is VERY fast, this is such a bad point.
    BB10 must come to market with responsive software YES, it must be fluid like the PlayBook, with the features of OS7. that would have been a fair statement to say.

5: Developers must sign up
    100% agree, and I really Hope RIM has a new strategy for the next 2 quarters, as their current App growth on both OS7 and PlayBook combined will not bring significant enough App numbers, and key app developers are still missing

6: A familiar experience -- to Android and iOS users
    STUPID:
    RIM needs to Bring a Unique to RIM experience that is refreshing and enjoyable to use, iOS is getting stale, Android's UI changes with the skin, WebOS was beautiful, Windows is functional, RIM needs to look at all the OS's and Bring strong points from each of them to their OS while keeping what made them great. Palm made the mistake of Launching WebOS without retaining the greatness that Palm and WinMo5 had brought to their user base, people were left wanting with WebOS, RIM can't leave people wanting with BB10, if you want iOS, or Android buy them

7: A launch that comes sooner rather than later
    I agree RIM can't afford to wait too long, but a premature launch would kill the brand, so They need to make sure they have everything else done, this feels like a "oh oh I might not have 10 points to list" point

8: Think about the PlayBook
    It's been a long understood the PlayBook was the foundation for BB10, and BB10 would come to the PlayBook it will happen, and I suspect it will happen shortly after launch, what RIM needs to do is thing BEYOND the PlayBook, how Can RIM Bring BB10 to the consumers in what devices to bring them an excellent integrated user experience

9: Remember pricing
    I disagree completely, RIM Needs to have their flagship BB10 Launch device priced at the same Subsidized pricepoint as the iPhone or Galaxy of the time, RIM will have subsequent BB10 phones to launch with lower pricepoints, RIM needs to regain their image of a premium device, the $99 price range does not do that, and it damages future relations

10: A new way for executives to think
    I'd love to hear what Strategies the Author things RIM should follow, RIM's issue was execution and failure to respond to market shifts, their strategy of MDM solutions for Enterprise and integrated communication handhelds is a solid strategy, continuing with BBM integration and looking to create different products from the competition is a good strategy, you never will win always playing ME TOO!, they need to find the next big thing, and that is done by having a global strategy and trying different things, I believe RIM still has a shot with their integrated communication platform, they just need to learn about execution and presentation as well as followup after the fact
    03-27-12 12:28 AM
    Agree with all the points you have countered to the article. The writer is basically just asking RIM to be Apple, to do what Apple is doing now. Which would never have worked out in the long run. It may tide them over the current storm, but in the long run they would just drown in it.
    03-27-12 01:13 AM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I agree that Apple knows how to Make Hardware and Software, but to say that is apples only secret to success is an insult to Apples biggest Strength, which is Marketing. RIM DOES make Excellent hardware, just not the main stream desired form factor, THAT is what RIM needs to do, RIM does Need a Solid Design, that is a joy to use, and it needs to be on a Touchscreen form factor at launch, the insults to RIM were not needed.

I agree the FIRST BB10 device must be a BIG display 4"-4.3" anything else would be a bad move.

As much as Freelance pundits don't realize is that there are some jobs and times when the touchscreen phone doesn't work, does the pundit give up on the laptop because tablets exist?
    RIM has remained relevant in the last 2 years at all in North America because there still are niche groups that want the Keyboard, RIM must embrace All touch, and treat it as an Equal to the Keyboard, but they Keyboard must not be ignored, or RIM kills their core user base, and one of their most distinguishing feature. when people give up Laptop keyboard for typing on glass, then RIM should give up the iconic Bold form factor

This sounds like someone who used a Curve model OS7 device and hasn't used OS7 since, OS7.1 on the 9900, and 9790 are both extremely snappy and fluid, what RIM lacks is the App Ecosystem, Boot speed, and friendly touch interface, the OS itself is well done still for a non touchscreen environment and is VERY fast, this is such a bad point.
    BB10 must come to market with responsive software YES, it must be fluid like the PlayBook, with the features of OS7. that would have been a fair statement to say.

100% agree, and I really Hope RIM has a new strategy for the next 2 quarters, as their current App growth on both OS7 and PlayBook combined will not bring significant enough App numbers, and key app developers are still missing

STUPID:
    RIM needs to Bring a Unique to RIM experience that is refreshing and enjoyable to use, iOS is getting stale, Android's UI changes with the skin, WebOS was beautiful, Windows is functional, RIM needs to look at all the OS's and Bring strong points from each of them to their OS while keeping what made them great. Palm made the mistake of Launching WebOS without retaining the greatness that Palm and WinMo5 had brought to their user base, people were left wanting with WebOS, RIM can't leave people wanting with BB10, if you want iOS, or Android buy them

I agree RIM can't afford to wait too long, but a premature launch would kill the brand, so They need to make sure they have everything else done, this feels like a "oh oh I might not have 10 points to list" point

It's been a long understood the PlayBook was the foundation for BB10, and BB10 would come to the PlayBook it will happen, and I suspect it will happen shortly after launch, what RIM needs to do is thing BEYOND the PlayBook, how Can RIM Bring BB10 to the consumers in what devices to bring them an excellent integrated user experience

I disagree completely, RIM Needs to have their flagship BB10 Launch device priced at the same Subsidized pricepoint as the iPhone or Galaxy of the time, RIM will have subsequent BB10 phones to launch with lower pricepoints, RIM needs to regain their image of a premium device, the $99 price range does not do that, and it damages future relations

I'd love to hear what Strategies the Author things RIM should follow, RIM's issue was execution and failure to respond to market shifts, their strategy of MDM solutions for Enterprise and integrated communication handhelds is a solid strategy, continuing with BBM integration and looking to create different products from the competition is a good strategy, you never will win always playing ME TOO!, they need to find the next big thing, and that is done by having a global strategy and trying different things, I believe RIM still has a shot with their integrated communication platform, they just need to learn about execution and presentation as well as followup after the fact
    agree on all accounts . well said! ... now execute RIM! ...
    03-27-12 01:13 AM
    3. Ditch the physical keyboard

As much as RIM executives don’t want to believe it, the physical keyboard is a major issue for consumers and enterprise users that are considering buying new devices. The physical keyboard is a relic of the past and something that most customers don’t want any longer. And yet, RIM continues to deliver it. With BlackBerry 10, RIM must wake up and realize that it’s going about the mobile space all wrong.
    Not sure how anyone can agree with this. People love the physical keyboard, it's the one (of many things) I hated about leaving my BlackBerry for an iPhone - losing the physical keyboard.

I'm looking forward to having a BB10 device with a physical keyboard, if they release one with a physical keyboard. From what I remember, the initial rumours were that the first BB10 devices would lack a physical keyboard, but doesn't mean all of them will.
    03-27-12 01:22 AM
    Believe it or not I agree with the author. The author of the article made good points.

Sorry deRusset but on no 6, IMHO RIM should emulate a formula that sells. ios and android are selling almost likely features that is familiar and attractive to users.
    03-27-12 01:31 AM
    As usual, deRusset, you're on point with your commentary. As a 9810 user with limited apps, one of my concerns is getting a new BB10 with minimal apps. The apps(whether for fun or work) are a crucial selling point. Otherwise, you're just checking email and surfing the 'net. I do believe that RIM needs to have the ability to keep up with what's available on the market for a "NEW" BlackBerry experience- whether you're a CrackBerry Addict or a Novice while keeping us core customers here and/or bringing some back to BlackBerry. At this point, there is really no more room for errors starting with the pending BB10 devices, IMHO. Thanks for posting.
    Azensun likes this.
    03-27-12 02:03 AM
    The author of the article makes some good points, but I take issue with the one about the design of the BlackBerry and his point that RIM needs to give up the keyboard.

When it comes to design, I think the last clunky device RIM made was the 8700. From that point forward, all of the devices looked aesthetically pleasing. The Pearl Flip and the Style--for what they were, they still looked nice. In someways, the PlayBook is the most boring thing RIM has ever designed, as it's just a rubberized black rectangle with the BlackBerry logo on it. I think the OS7 BlackBerrys are some of the best looking phones on the market, so I can only imagine what RIM is readying for the BB10 phones.

And about the keyboard... this is like the author saying that no one likes vanilla ice cream anymore, so we should just all accept chocolate ice cream. Where does the author get off on deciding that the market has moved on from keyboards? RIM might have a few problems, but their keyboards are an asset, not a weakness. The fact that you can slide the 9810's screen up and still use a top-notch keyboard..could you imagine if the Torch could had the app market that the iPhone does? Or if Apple made an iPhone in some slider form factor? I'm sure they won't, but the point is, no one is on the train to the future saying that keyboards can't come.

I actually don't want to see the day that RIM stops offering keyboards on their phones. I will buy a fully qwerty phone for as long as RIM makes them. It's scary to me that the multi media guzzling consumers who NEED that 4inch screen have indirectly almost forced RIM's hand into focusing on full touchscreen phones..
    elphie28, gritsinct and eBud like this.
    03-27-12 03:15 AM
    Lately it seems that everyone except RIM knows what's best for RIM. If everyone is so smart by is there only hand full of mobile companies out there?
    Whoever this article doesn't know anything about BB and RIM. He just talked to bunch of his iPhone friends and complied a list of what they think BB should be and BB should not be iPhone but BB, and offer different models so that cusomers can chose which one works for them and not have everyone in the same bubble.
    03-27-12 05:05 AM
    Apples OS is fresh exciting ????????
    03-27-12 05:42 AM
    Fresh since iPhone 3 lol
    03-27-12 05:49 AM
    I agree, that it lost it's "Fresh and Exciting" after multiple years of the same design.

Also, I agree with all of the points except: Ditch the physical keyboard...
    This is WHAT I AND MANY LOVE about BlackBerry's, so I think that would be a mistake. However, this doesn't mean they can't split the number of all touch screen and touch screen with keyboard devices...
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-27-12 05:54 AM
    Apple's biggest strength is the quality of products it puts out. Marketing can only go so far, and marketing doesn't create the overwhelmingly positive reviews of Apple products. Sure, some reviews point to the negatives, but for the most part, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

If Marketing was the biggest key to Apple's success, you would see market domination across the board, not just with the iPad and iPhone. But, heavily marketed products such as Apple TV, and the MacBook still haven't really caught on.

I agree, and at this point I still don't know how RIM is gonna bring developers to BB10. They have to figure it out fast though.

STUPID:
    Yes, I agree they have to differentiate themselves. But I think the author was referring to users having an easy transition to BB10. People coming from iOS or Android shouldn't pick up the device and have to watch a 20 minute tutorial on how to use it.

Completely disagree. The time of looking competitors in the eye and saying, we are gonna outsell your product at the same price point is over. The PlayBook furthered this idea. At the same price points as Apple, it was outsold, to put it nicely.

If customers go to the store and see an iPhone 5 or "the new Blackberry" at the same price, RIM loses that battle 90 out of 100 times, no matter what developers come on board. Markets have changed. Blackberry's price points have to as well. As a good indication of how the market will adapt to a new OS, look at Windows phones as an example. I have yet to see a Windows phone successfully compete at the iphone price levels, even with a sold OS and developer support.
    pantlesspenguin and JeepBB like this.
    03-27-12 06:42 AM
    Being someone who has been waiting expectantly on the transition to BB10, I feel I must weigh in with my views.

Straight away that tells me that if the writer doubts this then it is down entirely to ignorance of which I half absolve him of it. I half absolve him of it as I think as a techie he should know better and that it's partly RIM's fault on two fronts. a) Lack of proper marketing b) The insistence on releasing a myriad of low end phones that hurt the brand.

I also agree BIG displays tend to catch the eye more these days and as smartphones are increasingly becoming content consumption devices it's understandable.

RIM knows the numbers and obviously know better if this is hogwash. The touch screen plus keyboard form factor of the 9900/9930 suggests it will be premature to kill the keyboard. The solution? Make them co-exist with all-touch devices.

What exactly is 'responsive software'? Are we talking Siri or lag? It would be interesting to know which OS7 device the techie found 'unresponsive'

This one is not going to be easy. We all know how the other newer OS, Windows Phone, is currently faring. From what RIM is saying; PB apps will run on BB10 and for a platform currently on ONE WIFI-ONLY device, the app situation is well, a start.

Yes, that is (utterly) STUPID. Want more patent wars?

I do not want to be in RIM's shoes on this one. Too late? Rushed? It's a hot potato. We all know the ideal situation but only RIM knows the reality.

Let's put the phenomenon that is the ipad aside which other tablet is faring better? Android tabs even have the luxury of not worrying about the OS and the apps but have been failures too. As a platform, Android wins hands down but in individual tablet head to head it's the Kindle and what else? The PB disappointed, yes, but the scrutiny and ridicule is unusually unpropotional.

Obviously the techie values their iphone but a premium device is a premium device. RIM may sell fewer but it should never be at a loss.

So what is this 'new' way? Cloning iphones and Androids? What people do not realise is that the last co-CEOs had already started on a new direction for RIM but realised their continued tutelage posed a risk to this transition as they were heavily associated with RIM's troubles, hence their stepping aside for someone else to oversee the transition. The new CEO's mistake was to state publicly that he would continue on the 'same' path. Whilst he couldn't well can the ongoing transition (which was perhaps now advanced or the only way forward) he could have humoured people like this techie and proclaimed, "Things are going to change around here!"
    Last edited by Blackberry_boffin; 03-28-12 at 07:11 AM. Reason: typos
    00stryder and jersey kid like this.
    03-27-12 06:50 AM
    I agree, that it lost it's "Fresh and Exciting" after multiple years of the same design.
    Good point. We both know RIM would never do that.
    brucep1 likes this.
    03-27-12 07:03 AM
    I agree deRusett, there are some fair points in this article (design, app developers, big screen).

The idea of BlackBerry no longer supporting a full keyboard is just plain dumb. While forcing all users into one form factor (like Apple has) isn't what BlackBerry should be doing.

RIM, like all companies, need to understand their clients. Teens using BBM have one set of requirements vs. those whose priorities are making calls, hammering out emails, etc. have different priorities. What all types of clients want is a sexy piece of device. That's when design comes into play. We have already seen some sexy prototype designs submitted here to Crackberry.

As for apps, we know from forums here that people are already starting to get cranky about lots of apps cluttering app world on PlayBook. What RIM needs to do is to ensure that all the BIG NAME developers are creating their apps on PlayBook. This adds credibility. While Rovio has decided to create some of their Angry Birds on PlayBook, their most recent, they didn't. We know Alec Saunders has made great progress for devs, but Thor needs to make sure from a B2B that he gets agreements with big name companies to provide apps that clients expect (Skype, Remote Desktop, etc.) We shouldn't need to wait for that.
    03-27-12 07:09 AM
    We know Alec Saunders has made great progress for devs, but Thor needs to make sure from a B2B that he gets agreements with big name companies to provide apps that clients expect (Skype, Remote Desktop, etc.) We shouldn't need to wait for that.
    +1, wakes up RIM
    03-27-12 07:16 AM
    And about the keyboard... this is like the author saying that no one likes vanilla ice cream anymore, so we should just all accept chocolate ice cream.
    No, it's not, because vanilla is still the best selling ice cream flavor in many areas. Physical keyboards, on the other hand, generally are not.

RIM might have a few problems, but their keyboards are an asset, not a weakness. The fact that you can slide the 9810's screen up and still use a top-notch keyboard..could you imagine if the Torch could had the app market that the iPhone does?
    An asset to RIM's legacy customers maybe, but market figures tell the story: touchscreen devices outsell physical QWERTYs by a huge margin. As for the Torch having an app selection like the iPhone, it's not going to happen.

I actually don't want to see the day that RIM stops offering keyboards on their phones. I will buy a fully qwerty phone for as long as RIM makes them. It's scary to me that the multi media guzzling consumers who NEED that 4inch screen have indirectly almost forced RIM's hand into focusing on full touchscreen phones..
    What's "forced RIM's hand" is the dwindling number of users for whom the physical QWERTY is important enough to control the purchase decision. When a competitor's $500+ tablet outsells your entire line of phones, the market has spoken. You can't blame RIM for realizing this.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-27-12 07:33 AM

I'm not so sure about this. The tradeoff here is the Big Question. There's no question in my mind that "big" screens (maybe 3.7" or better) are quickly becoming not just a preference in the market but an expectation. Apps are being conceived with big screens in mind. You can't have that and keep the keyboard unless you do a slider or something else. But a lot of people don't like sliders etc., because that militates against the "solid design" property. It seems to me that the market is speaking, and it's saying that big screen and solid design trump keyboard.

I don't deny that there are plenty of people who really want the physical keyboard. I can hardly deny it, since I'm one of them. I just don't know if there are enough of us to justify making concessions on the screen size and solid design aspects. And as I've said in other posts, I strongly suspect there is a generational effect in play. People who start out with touch screen smartphones become adept at typing on glass, and the physical keyboard isn't such a great attraction for them.

As for laptops and tablets, I'm not sure about the analogy. But I'll say this. I go to a lot of meetings (academia) and increasingly I'm seeing about a 50-50 split between those who bring laptops and those who bring iPads with the little cover stand that folds up to hold it at an angle. So that's more and more people typing on glass, and they're not kids either.
    03-27-12 07:57 AM
    They'll release a BB10 phone with keyboard, but not right away.

It really is best to release only one device at first and for it to be all touch (even if they could release a BB10 phone with Keyboard at the same time). This is device the competition is selling the most of and is hurting RIM.

RIM needs to make the release simple. One product that truly stands out from RIMs other devices (in name and presentation) to get as much attention as possible. A device with a keyboard (even with BB10) may lead some people to think it's the same 'ole, same 'ole from RIM. Plus with only one device it looks as though RIM is fully concentrating all their efforts on a phone that can compete and are taking the competition seriously.
    03-27-12 08:15 AM
    No, it's not, because vanilla is still the best selling ice cream flavor in many areas. Physical keyboards, on the other hand, generally are not.

An asset to RIM's legacy customers maybe, but market figures tell the story: touchscreen devices outsell physical QWERTYs by a huge margin. As for the Torch having an app selection like the iPhone, it's not going to happen.

What's "forced RIM's hand" is the dwindling number of users for whom the physical QWERTY is important enough to control the purchase decision. When a competitor's $500+ tablet outsells your entire line of phones, the market has spoken. You can't blame RIM for realizing this.
    That's a secret worth knowing � Torch sales vs those of models with physical keyboards. It should also be noted just how few Android models come with keyboards.

Bunch of "ifs" follow but:

If BB 10 does very well at attracting new users that love its touchscreen interface and if RIM discovers that supporting a physical keyboard is prohibitive, they may well choose to slowly phase the keyboard out. This will be particularly true if something like haptic feedback becomes useable and if an acceptable segment of keyboard users are satisfied with that experience.
    03-27-12 09:06 AM
    I mostly agree with the author. RIM needs a well designed, stylish, and intuitive phone while maintaining all of BBs trademark strengths. People won't care about their phones unless they simply blow people away. The keyboard is still a big deal to a relatively large segment of consumers. In my opinion, RIM should launch with only 2 devices - a keyboard Bold style and a minimum 4.3" slab. And I absolutely agree about the price point. RIM will simply not survive if they launch their flagship phone at $199-299 when iPhones and Galaxy phones exist. I'd bet that the iPhone 5 will be out before the new RIM phone so you already know those things will be selling like hotcakes way before anyone other than BB diehards even LOOK at the new RIM phone.
    03-27-12 09:41 AM

Like many who have already stated their opinion. A line of phones with a keyboard is must. Although I agree with many of the writers points, giving up the "iconic Bold form factor" is completely out of the question.

At this point in time there is a market for keyboard phones, the Bold is an icon, its presence alone has a bold statement. Killing off other lines may be acceptable in the states such as the entry-level Curve series with keyboards, but RIM still needs to develop those entry-level phones to gain a strong foothold in developing markets.

The Torch (slider and bar) that is an area RIM needs to improve on to please the masses here in the states. In turn they need to improve on their OS like stated earlier as well.

Overall, other than point 3 I agree with a majority of the other points. Throwing the Bold keyboard..., can you imagine how much bad press RIM would get, its like lets get rid of BIS/BES/BBM.
    03-27-12 09:47 AM

As for laptops and tablets, I'm not sure about the analogy. But I'll say this. I go to a lot of meetings (academia) and increasingly I'm seeing about a 50-50 split between those who bring laptops and those who bring iPads with the little cover stand that folds up to hold it at an angle. So that's more and more people typing on glass, and they're not kids either.
    I use my PlayBook for a number of academic-related work, although using a portable, touchscreen device is convenient, I find myself having to use my laptop/desktop when I get home before I place a stamp of approval on a piece of work before sending it off.

Yes, seeing others use an iPad to get things done, whether that be creating/editing notes, working on a paper, or creating a piece a part, has become a common sight, when that individual gets home, is that created work really a final product?

I have no idea what I was trying to get at, but it came to mind.
    03-27-12 09:56 AM
    It does seem like the author of this article is a bit Apple-centric. RIM/blackberry is a different kind of company. It's all about the "blackberry experience". If I wanted an iPhone I'd buy an iPhone, and likewise for Android. Yes, that experience has pretty much hit its peak with the current OS7, but is gearing up for freshness with BB10. I admire a company that sticks to its guns and says "No, we're going to do it our way." That is what makes a great company, right? Knowing you have a great product and not messing it up by trying to make it more like all the others? At this point, anything said is pure speculation as to what is in store for blackberry users. I feel they are well aware of what they're up against and will put out a device that will bring the blackberry experience into a new and fantastic era. Can't wait to see what they have cooking up.
    03-27-12 09:58 AM
    Believe it or not I agree with the author. The author of the article made good points.

Sorry deRusset but on no 6, IMHO RIM should emulate a formula that sells. ios and android are selling almost likely features that is familiar and attractive to users.
    So you feel your PlayBook UI needs to be made more Apple like?
    03-27-12 10:41 AM
150 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD