This was just posted on N4BB

We�ve told you about the L and N series BlackBerry 10 devices. It now truly seems like Research In Motion has answered the age-old daunting question �What will RIM do next in numbering? Have a 10000 device model?�. Nope, they�re going to have multiple models under one series umbrella. Today, we�re excited to reveal the first details of what is known as the BlackBerry 10 M-Series.

Before we start, lets go back in time for a second. The first mention of any BlackBerry 10 device starting with an �M� has been the BlackBerry Milan. The BlackBerry Milan was the rumored slider device, which we heard later was put on hold. Fast-forward to present time and it seems RIM has resurrected the slider project as the BlackBerry M-Series.

What we know of the M-Series is it will sport a 720�1280 screen resolution. Apparently, the BlackBerry L-series will be the only device to rock the high 768�1280 resolution and here on out 720x will be the new standard. The M-Series will likely hit in 2014, as it is planned to release after the multiple N-Series devices (Nevada, Naples, and Nashville).

We�re glad to see RIM still plans a slider BlackBerry. What also has us intrigued is RIM�s new use of alphabetical letters in naming the new series of devices. While we heard the devices received their codenames based on the cities in which their designers took inspiration from, they�re also in alphabetical order. Perhaps there will eventually be a BlackBerry O-Series, P-Series, etc? Time will tell.
    kbz1960 and daveycrocket like this.
    07-06-12 04:01 PM
    I stopped once I saw "The M-Series will likely hit in 2014".
    mithrazor, sagec and anon(5602692) like this.
    07-06-12 04:03 PM
    I stopped once I saw "The M-Series will likely hit in 2014".
    The paragraph beyond that was just trivia anyways. :P
    07-06-12 04:10 PM
    Derp!

"The idea of a slider BlackBerry, featuring a physical full qwerty keyboard running BB 10 are the key points for the Milan design and for RIM to go ahead and scrap that idea entirely would be rather foolish of them as there is a market for those devices among users. Aside from all of that, RIM has a history of scrapping one hardware design idea only to bring it back looking better then it did the first time around. Don't be surprised if you see a device similar in design arrive from RIM in 2012. "

^^
    That's what I said when it was rumored to be scrapped. It never really went away.
    07-06-12 04:10 PM
    Wow that 2014 timeline is horrible. I was hoping it would come out a quarter or something after the full touch.

I think they should come out with all three at the same time. Or maybe come out with the full touch first, and then the qwerty and slider at the same time.

But I really hope that 2014 estimation is off
    07-07-12 01:12 AM
    Its always later than sooner. No point of getting your hopes up for 2013.
    07-07-12 08:28 AM
    I want the N series. Gives me a nice chunk of time to stuff my kitchen canister towards the M.....

No trouble for me here....
    07-07-12 09:01 AM
    Question: how does having different resolutions affect apps and the work required by developers? Is it a lot of work and/or will it apps have to be slightly rewritten? Or does it not matter as long as the ratio stays the same (4:3, 16:9, etc)?

Cos right now it seems there'll be at least 3 different resolutions across their line-up...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-07-12 09:40 AM
    Question: how does having different resolutions affect apps and the work required by developers? Is it a lot of work and/or will it apps have to be slightly rewritten? Or does it not matter as long as the ratio stays the same (4:3, 16:9, etc)?

Cos right now it seems there'll be at least 3 different resolutions across their line-up...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Cascades and webworks both have tools for dynamic resolution development, so for most dev's it wont be an issue.

devs COULD plan for 720 based resolutions as it would work on L, M, N devices, since both M & N share 720, and the L is 768.

It actually will be very much like every other platform, iOS has a few resolutions, and their new iPhone (5?6?) will have a new resolution, Android has always had a bunch of ever changing resolutions, and Windows I believe is in the same boat.

but FINALLY RIM has made the tools to make it easy(ish) to develop for dynamic resolutions like Web developers have been doing for the PC for years
    lorax1284 likes this.
    07-07-12 09:49 AM
    I want the N series. Gives me a nice chunk of time to stuff my kitchen canister towards the M.....

No trouble for me here....
    Yeah, I'm with you there. I'll keep my 9810 until I think the N is stable and then I'll wait for the M.
    07-07-12 09:50 AM
    I don't care what gets launched first - L, N or M. As far as I care, it can be any letter of the alphabet, but I want BB10 NOW so badly...
    07-07-12 10:39 AM
    I like 16:10 a lot more than 16:9.
    07-07-12 10:58 AM
    I like 16:10 a lot more than 16:9.
    Me too because it's 1 better
    07-07-12 05:31 PM
    Damn...if it really comes out then it means we won't see till 2015
    07-07-12 05:47 PM
    The devices are rumored to be launching much closer together. 3 devices within 6 months total of eachother. (all touch is first, then bold type, then slider)
    daveycrocket and howarmat like this.
    07-09-12 06:23 AM
    The devices are rumored to be launching much closer together. 3 devices within 6 months total of eachother. (all touch is first, then bold type, then slider)
    You know Sith, I really hope you're right. I want my slider!
    daveycrocket likes this.
    07-09-12 03:36 PM
    I can't wait for the Q series:

07-09-12 04:31 PM
    Hey OP I'm sure you didn't think about it but they work hard on gathering news over there at n4bb to drive traffic to their site and would probably appreciate a link instead of a copy paste that benefits crackberry instead of them... Just sayin'
    07-10-12 02:08 AM
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was going to create a new topic "Why can't RIM just state whether or not one of these 6 devices will be a Portrait Slider so I can have some closure!?" but noticed this thread speculating on the "M series".

1280 x 720 portrait slider=PERFECT. Let's give it a nice big screen too! Based on calculations from DPI Calculator / PPI Calculator, even at 4.5" diagonal this would be greater than 300 PPI... I would like RIM to go for it and challenge form factors like the Samsung Galaxy SIII, a huge, bright screen, powerful CPU, WiFi-N, Bluetooth 4.0 and LTE connectivity in a portrait slider form factor? :drool:

If the SGSIII is the current "ultimate" phone (at least until iP5 is released, and possibly even after that) then a 1280 x 720 ~5" screen portrait slider BB10 device would leave them all in its dust.

But it might hurt RIM, Samsung, Apple, and Asus's bottom line, because I wouldn't be buying new devices to play with every three months... I'D BE DONE. I'd have the only mobile device I'll ever want ever, and would never ever need to buy another phone ever. Ever.

Actually, I'd also want the next PlayBook featuring Bluetooth 4 and a >300 PPI 7" screen and 2 GHz quad core processor, so there's one more thing I'd need. But THEN I'd be done.

but 2014? Do not want. To wait that long, I mean.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 08-17-12 at 10:08 AM.
    anon(5602692) likes this.
    08-17-12 09:36 AM
    I wouldn't bank on a 4.5" device

I suspect 4.2" of the All touch L series will be the biggest, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the M series is a 4" device due to weight having it slightly smaller than the L series in footprint, but thicker
    08-17-12 09:54 AM
    I wouldn't bank on a 4.5" device

I suspect 4.2" of the All touch L series will be the biggest, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the M series is a 4" device due to weight having it slightly smaller than the L series in footprint, but thicker
    sounds realistic, I really like my 9810 with keyboard out of the way, I am also not too keen on very thin phones. ......... My new Milan 4", thicker slider BB10 phone sounds the very bis, just like the picture will be great, I can wait but not too long please
    Last edited by daveycrocket; 08-17-12 at 10:08 AM.
    08-17-12 10:04 AM
    I can't wait till we can all get back to fighting the right fights

My N series is better than your L series
    My L series is better than your M series
    My M series is better than your N series
    Spoke smashes scissors. wait.... what?
    lwaysluking and daveycrocket like this.
    08-17-12 10:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD