It's a play on what's known as discriminatory pricing. Similar to targeting multiple levels with different devices they also milk what they can for margins by charging for early adopters.

Apple was brilliant at this on their way up.

As others have said, it will come down and those who weren't willing to pay for the newest and greatest but still wanted a blackberry will probably jump on board.
    07-05-13 02:47 PM
    Blackberry needs cheaper phones at a faster rate. Nokia has been cutting costs across the board since BB10 was released and it's been working for them. I rather see Blackberry to brake even rather making profits. The positive articles about growth are worth more. Such as in windows phones.
    They can't do this. They won't break even, they'll lose a lot of money - which they don't have - they can burn through their cash pile (which is still a very small one relatively) very quickly. I advocated a strategy like this before launch for the developing countries, but at this point, it would be difficult, and perhaps it never was an option.
    07-05-13 07:17 PM
27 12