02-09-12 12:32 PM
    That wouldn't explain the Digi-Media-Apps and the "On Device GPS" apps. I can't take this seriously until they remove those "apps".
    02-09-12 12:38 PM
    That wouldn't explain the Digi-Media-Apps and the "On Device GPS" apps. I can't take this seriously until they remove those "apps".
    Research In Motion plans to avoid the app overload found in the Android Marketplace by providing cherry-picked titles in BlackBerry App World, the company’s head of developer relations has said.
    there you go
    02-09-12 12:43 PM
    It could be a great thing, especially if they can have a working approval system
    02-09-12 12:44 PM
    What do they call all those dollar ebook "apps" appworld keeps getting spammed with? Seems to me to be the definition of "crap apps", and they arn't android ports....
    02-09-12 02:27 PM
    What do they call all those dollar ebook "apps" appworld keeps getting spammed with? Seems to me to be the definition of "crap apps", and they arn't android ports....
    I hate not being able to find new cool apps because of the flood of cheesy eBook apps. Are people actually buying these things? Unfortunately, someone must be buying them. Otherwise I'd assume the publisher wouldn't find it worth the effort to keep submitting them. I wish there was a completely separate category for these.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    02-09-12 03:11 PM
    I've stopped looking at the App World until 2.0 is released. The flood of the ebooks has killed it. I rely on CB for now to tell me about worthwhile apps
    02-09-12 03:25 PM
    I agree....
    02-09-12 03:26 PM
    I do like the approval process though. That should keep the Malware ect off....Now as long as they keep sideloading, people will still be able to load their NON-Approved apps, & if they/we get malware ect. we have no one to blame but our selves....Also this will reduce the chances of the unapproved apps being bad as most people who get infected are not tech savey........"hmm an email from someone I don't know telling me I need this report?"....click
    02-09-12 03:37 PM
    Instead of worrying about the "crap" apps, why not get the developers to update their current apps to be OS7 compatible. Get some of those developers that left back.

They may boast 600,000 apps or what ever the number was, but at the same time it is looking very weak.
    vrs626 likes this.
    02-09-12 04:40 PM
    Yes imagine all of that crap along with all of androids crap
    OniBerry likes this.
    02-09-12 04:44 PM
    Yes imagine all of that crap along with all of androids crap
    HaHa, please, I would rather not. There is more than enough to keep me from browsing app world already.
    02-09-12 04:46 PM
    Can't wait.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    02-09-12 07:40 PM
    Until they do something about the DigiMedia and OnDevice GPS Apps then they shouldn't make such stupid statements. Fact is they have been letting "crap" apps on the platform from the beginning and letting them clog up App World. And as for Alex, I'll believe it when I see it. We've been telling John, the product manager in Beta Zone about this for some time.
    vrs626 and CairnsRock like this.
    02-09-12 08:05 PM
    What a joke considering how much crap is native apps!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
    02-09-12 11:48 PM
    Thats good app world is flooded with crap
    02-10-12 02:32 PM
    I agree that right now App World has a lot of crap in there, the ebook things especially... The GPS things, while TONS of them, can be useful if you live or travel in one of those specific places. I think the problem there is that RIMs approval process doesn't dis-allow those sorts of things (yet). Maybe people buy them? IDK
    I think what Alec is saying is that he and RIM "plan" to make a change in this process. Beginning with Android ports, to ensure that malware and other negative stuff doesn't make it.

Though I agree, I wish they would group/categorize all those ebooks and specific map things in their own place... even in the "New Apps" section on the front page... I want to see new, unique apps there... not that repetative crap.
    02-10-12 03:23 PM
    We went from OMG we need more apps. iOS and Android have Zillions and we only have a handfull.

to

Realizing that iOS and Droid have 800,000 pieces of crap.

to

We need Quality not Quantity, and how can we get rid of the rubbish that we now have.
    02-10-12 09:20 PM
    We need Quality not Quantity, and how can we get rid of the rubbish that we now have.
    That's the big issue. We are lacking the major apps people expect on a tablet and smartphone (Skype, Netflix, etc.), and the App World is being filled with free domain books that some clown is wrapping in an app and dumping in as fast as they can. We seem to be getting more quality apps, but if you didn't read on Crackberry that it came out you'd probably not know about it because of all the junk. I bet if you look at the amount of apps that are used regularly on both iOS and Android the list wouldn't be very long. That is what RIM needs to do, analyze what is heavily used on the competition, and work with the developers of those apps to get them on the Playbook and eventually BB10. I think that if they do this, plus with what they've shown on OS2, get BBM working, plus market well they have an excellent chance of winning back customers lost to Android. iOS will be tougher to win back because Apple has an excellent ecosystem that gets people invested and makes it tougher to leave.
    02-11-12 11:59 AM
    I could care less if App World is filled with crap apps. I say bring on as many crap apps as someone can make!!! Just make sure to give us the staple, big name apps that everyone's been asking for! I agree that discovering new apps is a problem when these crap apps flood the Newest page and that is something RIM should correct. Hopefully the new App World set up in 2.0 will alleviate some of this.
    02-11-12 11:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD