Besides the two videos that probably everyone here on the forum has watched, Peter F. Mayer from telekom-presse.at (nicknamed "Mr. Big Hands") also posted an article summing up his thoughts about the dual core cpu and BB10.

Here's the link:
    BlackBerry 10 - It's the software, stupid! - Telekom Presse

And as I was in the mood to do so, here's a translation:
    An intelligent design as well as good programming are more important for smartphones and tablets than even more cores inside the CPU. That's exactly where there are many advantages of RIM's new operating system BlackBerry 10.

(2013-01-16, 22:05 CET) Our article as well as the video about the Z10 running RIM's new operating system BlacBerry 10 were spread and commented worldwide. There's one thing I noticed a couple of times: The Z10's specs including a dual core 1.5 GHz OMAP 4470 CPU are considered sub-par with the competition. No, it's neither a quad core racer nor an octa core juggernaut.

The discussions reducing the criteria for device judgment to pure hardware capabilities is heading to the wrong direction for quite some time. I makes sense to judge screen sizes as well as screen resolutions because smartphones are used as mobile computing devices moreoften. You can simply say that a bigger screen is better.

In contrast, the user does not have to mind if his phone has 2, 4, 8, 16, or even 64 cores as long as it fulfills its job fluently, fast and without perceivable delay. And that's exactly what the two cores of the Z10 accomplish pretty easily.

Why is that the case? To answer this, I have to alter Bill Clinton's slogan "It's economy, stupid!" to "It's the software, stupid!". The software of the
    BlackBerry just does not need four cores to be faster than competing operation systems running on a quad core CPU.

BlackBerry 10 is based on the RTOS (Real Time Operating System) by RIM's subsidiary QNX. Real Time means being able to react to ocurring events timely. And that's exactly what helps BlackBerry 10.

Additionally there's something else. If I was allowed to drive at 100 km/h but needed stop every 100 meters at a traffic light and wait for 2 minutes then it would not take me longer to reach my destination as if I drove 50 km/h without stopping at traffic lights.

This is the crucial point differentiating the new operating system from the currently available ones. Due to the purely guesture based controls, the
    clever sorting of screens, and the BlackBerry Hub, you can save at least one interaction with the phone compared to other systems. So it's at least one red light less.

That's what I constantly experienced when I tested different activities on BlackBerry 10, an iPhone 5, and an Android phone during the last days.

The software's quality as well as its design is by far more crucial for usability of a smartphone than the number of cores of its CPU. Brainpower wins
    over raw power with little thought.
    Snap51, sydsam, imz and 38 others like this.
    01-19-13 09:05 AM
    Fitting description. In a nutshell, work smarter, not harder.
    01-19-13 09:13 AM
    Thank you for this translation.
    01-19-13 09:15 AM
    "Brainpower wins
    over raw power with little thought."

PS. Thank you OP for translating and sharing!
    01-19-13 09:20 AM
    The simple yet age old truth. Brains over Brawn...
    HUNTZODIAC likes this.
    01-19-13 09:36 AM
    wisely thought and written...
    just what most of us thought in regard of the cores in BB10.

and thanks for sharing n translating, OP...

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-19-13 09:37 AM
    i don't know if any of you follow cars but the old saying by those muscle car fans is " theres no replacement for displacement" meanign the bigger the engine the better. truth be told companies like Ferrari, Honda, Audi, BMW have proven this theory wrong, taking smaller engines and putting otu the same power and blowing the pants off those cars with massive 7 liter V8 engines.

there is more to things then raw power, a big thing is how this power is used and like a car the transmission is what translates the power to the ground, in electronics its the way the kernel sends info through the CPU. a well organized series of info is much easier to process then a mess of I/Os sent all at once. not to say that more hardware won't make things better but in the case of a smartphone you want to use as little hardware as possible and make thigns as fast as possible in order to maximize the efficiency of the battery, why kick out a quad core that sucks down the battery when you can get a pace equal or greater out of a smaller dual core and be able to use it longer on a single charge. the iPhone5 is a good example of this the hardware on it is WAYYY lower then anything offered on a modern Android, its even lower then what is rumored to release on the Z10yet it is just as fast as Android and has a pretty small battery, the thing is the iPhone5s hardware is barely better then what we have on our wifi playbooks and the hardware is 2 years old.

moral of the story, with brains comes power management and with power management comes speed, like an assembly line things get done in series and are efficiently done faster with minimal effort
    josaki likes this.
    01-19-13 03:22 PM
    Consider the PlayBook had very similar specs as the original galaxy tab 10.1 and how much better performance is on the PlayBook (e.g. Multitasking, running 1080p videos, etc.), you know that BB10 doesn't need huge amount of processing power. The ram was really the only issue and they have ramped it up to 2gb. Ten more days!
    01-20-13 02:04 AM
    Consider the PlayBook had very similar specs as the original galaxy tab 10.1 and how much better performance is on the PlayBook (e.g. Multitasking, running 1080p videos, etc.), you know that BB10 doesn't need huge amount of processing power. The ram was really the only issue and they have ramped it up to 2gb. Ten more days!
    i wouldn't even say the RAM needed to be upped, the Playbook browser is just a RAM pig as itsbuilt on Adobe AIR, the new BB10 browser is built on RIMs own Webworks SDK which is HTML5
    01-20-13 02:09 AM
    Similar to what we discussed wide and long about "browser compatibility V.S browser speed" : don't stop.
    01-20-13 05:12 AM
    i don't know if any of you follow cars but the old saying by those muscle car fans is " theres no replacement for displacement" meanign the bigger the engine the better. truth be told companies like Ferrari, Honda, Audi, BMW have proven this theory wrong, taking smaller engines and putting otu the same power and blowing the pants off those cars with massive 7 liter V8 engines.
    The Dodge Viper engine is AMAZING. So many people like to talk trash about how it's a pushrod and it's old tech and it's so big. I'm sorry but the BMW V10 is tiny. Yes 500+HP out of it is cool. But the problem is that it has NOTHING down low. You have to rev it to get that kinda power. They usually have very little torque as well (which explains the high reving HP). The thing that blows my mind about a Dodge Viper's 8.4L V10 is not the 640HP or it's torque number. It's the fact that it holds more than 500 Ft Lbs of torque from like 1800 all the way to it's redline. It has a torque curve similar to a Supercharged beast than it does to a N/A engine. The Dodge Viper is an amazing beast and I hope to one day own one.
    01-20-13 05:24 AM
    The Dodge Viper engine is AMAZING. So many people like to talk trash about how it's a pushrod and it's old tech and it's so big. I'm sorry but the BMW V10 is tiny. Yes 500+HP out of it is cool. But the problem is that it has NOTHING down low. You have to rev it to get that kinda power. They usually have very little torque as well (which explains the high reving HP). The thing that blows my mind about a Dodge Viper's 8.4L V10 is not the 640HP or it's torque number. It's the fact that it holds more than 500 Ft Lbs of torque from like 1800 all the way to it's redline. It has a torque curve similar to a Supercharged beast than it does to a N/A engine. The Dodge Viper is an amazing beast and I hope to one day own one.
    There is that persistent question of efficiency, though, and it applies to phones even more than it does to cars.

Sure, you can get raw horsepower and torque out of a monster motor or a quad-core processor. In the case of the device, though, battery life will suffer. Now, you can take a smaller engine, give it direct injection and turbocharge it, and get results as good or better than you get with sheer displacement. Takes more engineering talent, but you also get superior efficiency to go with your performance (good example: the current base V6 Mustang that will blow the doors off most 80s Vettes and still do 32mpg hwy).

Harder to do, but we'll worth it. I think that's what we're getting with BB10, too.
    01-20-13 06:21 AM
    Quite so. I used to have a Honda S2000, which managed to pump out 240bhp from a normally aspirated 2 litre engine (over in the US you had a slightly different engine). Sure, in the US market in particular the lack of torque meant that some dismissed it, but it went like an absolute rocket with a tiny engine. Extracting the most from the least is a real skill.
    01-20-13 06:46 AM
    in a car liek that torque is not needed its a pretty light car and all that torque does is spin its tires you also need long *** gear ratios to keep the car withing is relitivly low powerband limiting the actual torque that makes it to the wheels the BMW 5liter v10 still produces 400 ft lbs of torque and the power is relitivley flat so you get that torque at almost anywhere on the powerband. if it wasnt for the fact that the BMW M5 and M6s being 4500 lbs that engine would take those cars to insain speeds quicker then it actually does.

the Viper is not a true sports car, sure its fast but it can't turn for **** and my Golf R will probably hand it its *** on the twisties, its not all about raw top end and nothing else. the corvette is a better sports car as it not only has savage power but it can take a turn in a better fashion then the viper

so like i said its all about efficient power delivery to get out the speed and perfomance and the dodge viper is not efficient at anything and it is blown away by a ferrari 458 italia, with a tony 4.5 liter V8
    01-20-13 06:56 AM
    You can simply say that a bigger screen is better.
    You can also say this about hands.
    01-20-13 07:03 AM
    You can also say this about hands.
    You can also say this about hands:
    01-20-13 08:40 AM
    Loved the article, and thank you OP for the translation. Also loved the analogies posted in relation to automotive. As much as I'm a geek, I'm a huge petrol head too.
    01-20-13 08:53 AM
    As long as the phone is priced to reflect the specs, I'm okay with it.

I'm glad that the specs on the Z10 can run the current build of BB10 software flawlessly... there would be a problem if it didn't. But what about in the future, when new features and such are added to the OS (10.x)... will the Z10 still be able to run it flawlessly? It's easy to say that anything more would be overkill if the Z10 runs the current OS perfectly, but higher specs would help to futureproof the phone against future updates, extending its useful life. The price has to reflect the specs, because it is likely that the useful life will be reduced by the specs chosen.

On the other hand, I'd rather pay $400 for a phone that is going to be able to run all of the up-to-date software for 2 years before it becomes too underpowered and no longer supported, than $700 for one that is going to be able to run all of the software updates that will come over the next 3 years. So if RIM is going with these reduced specs so that it can sell the phone at a reduced price to build market share then that's fine, but if they are going to try to sell last year's phone specs at a premium price they could run into some trouble.
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    01-20-13 09:11 AM
    the Viper is not a true sports car, sure its fast but it can't turn for **** and my Golf R will probably hand it its *** on the twisties, its not all about raw top end and nothing else. the corvette is a better sports car as it not only has savage power but it can take a turn in a better fashion then the viper
    Sure. Right. That's why the Viper has the record at the 'Ring, cause it's NOT a true sports car and your Golf R can out handle it.
    01-20-13 09:11 AM
    but the problem is.. majority of the market are not crackberrians, never read this article, never saw mr. big hand's videos, always looking down on RIM (lately), thinking that os 10 is similar to OS 5,6,7 (sand clock, pull battery,no apps), and soon gonna amazed by the (probably) OCTA core galaxy S4, and when they see that the bb10 price is (probably) almost similar to the new S4 they will think that bb10 is ultra expensive and RIM is a stupid company that hates you (like the other one)....
    I hope RIM does a great adverstisement on the UI and UX paradigm so the market won't be bothered about the hardware... because today, android competitions educates the market to open their eyes widely to the specs... so I hope this specs issue won't block rimpire to strike back...
    austriker and convenor like this.
    01-20-13 09:33 AM
    You can also say this about hands:
    Man, I wish I had the power to unsee this video...

Great read, and I totally agree that the efficiency of the OS is more important than having the newest CPU under the hood for the wow factor, especially when it could mean better battery life. That being said, I can see where consumers that are unwilling to research before purchasing what they think is the "biggest and baddest" based on specs would use this as fuel to continue bashing BlackBerry and RIM. Regardless, I'll be in line when the device is launched on AT&T!
    Last edited by PapiPabs; 01-20-13 at 10:23 AM.
    01-20-13 09:46 AM
    He got a big hands so I call him Big Hands
    01-20-13 12:04 PM
    Sure. Right. That's why the Viper has the record at the 'Ring, cause it's NOT a true sports car and your Golf R can out handle it.
    don't get so defensive you entirly missed my point and took a sly comment i made seriously. my point was that BB10 like a car will be able to show its speed by applying more then sheer power and maximizing all aspects of technology

if you really want to get into numbers heres Top Gears test track times and you can see how well your viper stacks up against a true speed demon

List of Top Gear test track Power Lap Times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

take a look at the 1:22.7 that the SRT-10 posts with its massive honking V10 compared to a little 4.5 V8 that is a 458 Italia which posts a 1:19.1or a Nissan skyline GT-R or frankly any of the others that have bested the viper

also take a look at this

Dodge Viper SRT10 vs BMW Z4 M Roadster - Bing Videos
    01-20-13 08:44 PM
    And to go along with the car analogies, the guy in the mustang will always have a look down or away when he pulls up to a BMW at the lights. In the back of his mind he knows the BMW guy could have got a mustang if he so pleased, it's half the price.
    01-21-13 12:07 AM
    Folks, Mr Big Hand's written piece also highlights indirectly another advantage for RIM. By developing a PLATFORM that works efficiently, the parts inside the phone just get cheaper. So while Samsung is throwing an 8 core monster into its S4, RIM runs circles around it with a cheaper dual core. Imagine if these cost savings are passed on to the consumer. There could be a 200-300 dollar price differential in the phones. No wonder Samsung along with other Android based companies are sweating bullets. RIM might have figured out how to bring a premium device into the middle range market.
    mcmolineux, peter9477 and imz like this.
    01-21-13 07:19 AM
31 12