Well, I have to say I'm a little surprised and disappointed. After having PhantomSkinz installed on my phone (which look great, for what it's worth), I've been noticing the GPS isn't able to catch satellites.

So as a test, I went outside with my Storm and my wife's non-armored Storm and side-by-side, we turned on the GPS in BlackBerry Maps.

Hers instantly acquired 7 satellite signals. Mine? Zip. Squat. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

So I have to wonder - are any of you having the same issues once your phone was done with PhantomSkinz, Ghost Armor, Invisible Shield or any other similar product?
    12-03-08 12:51 PM
    i would like to hear if others are experienceing this as well, i planned on picking u some phantomskinz soon
    12-03-08 01:08 PM
    Havn't tested GPS with my IS on But I will and let you know.
    12-03-08 01:23 PM
    It would have to be a nearly complete metal enclosure to block the signals or attenuate them that much. Unless the material is some exotic chemical composition, it should let sufficient signals pass.

Most GPS receivers, including the one in my Storm (and iPhone) work through the roofs of buildings and including in the Seattle rain, which cuts the signal even more. Modern GPS chip-sets can work with extremely low satellite signals.

I suspect the OP has either a bad unit or GPS needs to be enabled.
    12-03-08 01:43 PM
    Can't really say it's a bad unit - the GPS feature worked just fine (even indoors - well, near windows anyway) prior to the installation of the skin.
    12-03-08 02:57 PM
    Armor should sell their product to the USAF if it can really inhibit radio signals that well... :-/
    12-03-08 03:03 PM
    It is a hydrolysis-free elastomeric material, it shouldn't block any signals. I would do a soft reset if I were you.
    12-03-08 03:12 PM
    I have the full phone PhantomSkinz on my Storm and my GPS works perfectly. I don't have any problems with my touch screen functions with it installed either.
    12-03-08 03:34 PM
    Well, I have to say I'm a little surprised and disappointed. After having PhantomSkinz installed on my phone (which look great, for what it's worth), I've been noticing the GPS isn't able to catch satellites.

So as a test, I went outside with my Storm and my wife's non-armored Storm and side-by-side, we turned on the GPS in BlackBerry Maps.

Hers instantly acquired 7 satellite signals. Mine? Zip. Squat. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

So I have to wonder - are any of you having the same issues once your phone was done with PhantomSkinz, Ghost Armor, Invisible Shield or any other similar product?
    Sosai,

I have no idea what is going on with your phone. Believe me, Urethane film cannot block the satellite signals. I am attaching a pic of my phone with the GPS working. We have two Storms here at the office with Full Body Kits and have no problems.

Did you go outside to activate the GPS on your phone? There is a CB link that talks about this.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sea...llites-107684/

Let me know what you find out.

guru
    12-03-08 06:30 PM
    Weird.

As usual, a battery pull did the trick. Thanks for the input, Guru - you guys are the best!
    12-03-08 07:17 PM
    Are we going to have to suggest battery pulls after skin installs now too?
    12-03-08 08:25 PM
    Battery pull fixes everything. Even the common cold.
    12-03-08 08:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD