The company is designing the mbed OS software to require as little battery power and memory as possible, and will not charge for its use.

It said the code would allow developers to create products more quickly.

However, it will work only with kit fitted with chips based on ARM's Cortex-M designs.
    Source: BBC News - ARM creates operating system for 'internet of things'

Quite a challenge for BlackBerry's Project Ion.
    10-01-14 02:44 PM
    I saw this earlier today. Very ambitious of them.
    10-01-14 04:49 PM
    And IoT continues to move in a direction that will create isolated ecosystems. I sure hope BlackBerry's approach will be more like a Bluetooth standard, you do this to connect to IoT stuff, period. Rather than oh well you can connect your Apple or Sony products, but not your misc smaller company unless they use ____ 's technology. Buy this instead to connect with that...

Better Consumer Choice and Product Life > creating 3-4 ultra successful companies. Why must the success of Apple's isolated ecosystem strategy spread everywhere, to the demise of consumers and strictly benefiting shareholders. I do understand business, but we need to get off this corporate dominance track before it destroys innovation and causes massive, difficult to evolve market segmentation.

BB for Life
    10-01-14 05:43 PM
    Yes, but QNX was built for the IoT before the buzz word was a glimmer in a marketers mind.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    10-01-14 07:37 PM
    There can be many IOT OS as long as there is a common protocol for communication and control. Right now there is Googles Thread project. Qualcomms AllJoyn Framewoek, Intels Open Interconnect Consortium and Apple HomeKit. A guide to the confusing Internet of Things standards world

Anyone heard anything about BB/QNX joining any of the standards groups? They've been very tight-lipped about their plans with QNX in IOT.
    10-01-14 10:23 PM
    Ya we havent heard much from BB about Project Ion other then the name. Hopefully thier new business unit is hard at work bringing it beyond an idea into a practical technology and a new revenue stream. And i certainly hope they've realized the importance of being first to market.....
    10-03-14 12:20 PM