Well I�m in the mood to be an ArmChair RIM CEO again.
    So here it goes.
    On the Hardware side of the Mobile Handsets RIM needs to work with its partners at getting a comparable speed system, as AMD learned against INTEL even with a faster processor at times, the Clock speed is a simple indicator for the general public as to how fast the device is, if Marvell�s processors can outperform Qualcomm, a marketing campaign needs to be done, if Marvell has fallen too far behind the curve, embrace Qualcomm,
    I would Create a Roll out map for the devices to set goals and timelines for the company.
    The Roll out map would be built on a 2 year upgrade cycle for End users when staying with the same Brand of Blackberry.
    The Brands would be as follows:
    BOLD // 2 form factors, 9000(1) & 9700(2)
    CURVE // 2 designs 85xx(1) / curve 83xx(2)
    PEARL
    CLAM (??)
    STORM
    TORCH

Every Quarter would have a New Device Launch, that would keep the blackberry name in the media, but not just be the same rehash. The launches would be
    Q1Y1 Bold(1) / Q2Y1 Pearl / Q3Y1 Curve (1) /Q4Y1 Storm
    Q1Y2 Bold (2) / Q2Y2 Clam / Q3Y2 Curve (2) / Q4Y2 Torch
    Bolds would be released in Q1 as they are geared as the Premium Business device, Fresh budgets for the year at Q1, take advantage of that.
    Pearl/Clam are Q2, they are Consumer/Nich products, and go along with End of school year
    The Curve line are Q3 they take advantage of Summer students buying their phones for back to school, with the media capabilities of the 85XX, and 83XX idea for a rough and tumble business phone giving time for IT departments to play with it before rolling it out the following year if they are not Bold buyers.
    Storm/Torch or Q4, this is Christmas season, and these would be the sexy devices for adverting for the Christmas season.

The User that wants to upgrade every year has options, and lots of them, the user that upgrades every 2 years with their contracts gets into the same phone with a 2 year upgrade. Stays familiar, but gets the improvements.
    On the software side of things, Each phone release would bring an OS update for all phones, it would be incremental as an example
    Q1Y1 OS6.1.1.XXX / Q2Y1 OS6.1.3.XXX / Q3Y1 OS6.1.6.XXX / Q4Y1 OS6.1.9.XXX
    Q1Y2 OS6.5.1.XXX / Q2Y2 OS6.5.3.XXX / Q3Y2 OS6.5.6.XXX / Q4Y2 OS6.5.9.XXX

You can expect your device to get a Full number upgrade so if your device started at OS6.1.1.XXX you will Only get OS updates to OS7.1.1.XXX or if you came out with OS6.5.6.XXX will get OS7.5.6.XXX. that puts you on the same OS as the phone you could upgrade to has, you can see if it is worth the upgrade for the improved hardware over just the improved OS.
    That�s my vision of the headset market, always improving but continuing the incremental improvements RIM is known for, and actually is quite good at, it just needs to be slightly accelerated,

I don�t believe the UI of the Blackberry needs to change much, the UI is very functional on keyboard based devices, OS6 looks to be going in the right direction, what I want to see out of the OS, is a far more robust email, we need ondevice folders, we need sort options, we need colour coding in the universal mailbox. In addition we need a much better calendar. Software for BlackBerry: Calendar Pro Calendar Pro function should be out of the box, I think the simple contacts needs to be extended to a basic CRM for integration with 3rd Party CRM tools,

Beyond just handset development RIM needs to embrace the cloud, and user control.
    On the Carrier.blackberry.net site, the BIS user needs to be able to control his truncating, at what size if at all, and the Carrier needs to have permission levels, maybe BIS plans based on truncated or not emails. The ability to turn them on and off would be a major advantage for world travelers, you don�t want to give up email, but you don�t want to pay by the MB for those big emails with embedded pictures and such, have those truncated and sent to a WEBMAIL! Interface. Carrier.blackberry.net needs a webmail interface similar to the offerings by google/yahoo/Microsoft , so that you can go to your webmail account and read those emails from 6 months ago that you clearly don�t still have on your phone without needing to forward them someplace. We need DROPBOX like support, and give us a mobile photo upload option as well, be it 2GB or something small like that, but giving a cloud spot to put something set up WITH your BB, no extra user names/passwords and it is IT integration friendly as it isn�t multiple vendors supplying the service. IT departments can have access to the user�s �Dropbox� and push data to them, and have shared dropboxes. RIM needs to take it to Google and Microsoft on the mobile front!

NOW I would also be branching RIM into the retail storefront, and not like you are thinking. This article is basically talking about US mobile Carriers getting together to make smartphones mobile banking tools, AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile team up to transform your smartphone into a credit card -- Engadget
    I want to take this to the next level as RIM and a Hardware/Software manufacturer, I would build the Credit Card Machines!, I don�t care about Carrier support, I build the Machine to connect to the internet, put the appropriate wireless chips in it to connect via 3G/4G/Wifi / Ethernet, the Device would process the Credit Cards both physical and via a Barcode, Your Smartphone would display a Barcode this barcode contains your Credit/Bank/Debit/Charge card details and requires a password to have it displayed. In addition to the Card data the barcode contains your email address, and PIN number, and the Unit checks the Cardnumber against the email address and the PIN number in the Bank/financial institutions database for approval, you receive an email for every transaction made with a digital receipt for record keeping,
    The Credit Machine would Also display a barcode for you to scan which would give you a transaction number receipt so that you could go and download your receipt from your financial institutions website as they would also receive the receipt. This unit could integrate with Company BES and become devices that can be remotely monitored for usage, and statistics.
    This could then move into the restaurant world as well, each server carrying a BB with an order entry app, by paying using your blackberry you can be asked if you�d like to receive the menu via email, and restaurant promotions, giving a very quick way of actually getting the advertising emails you want without having to spell out your email address and slowing down the transaction process.
    This technology could then be added to Survey kiosks allowing you to give your email/name/address/phone number with a simple barcode scan, then answering all of the data on the screen,
    This leads into my desire for a tablet, my desire is 3 fold, 1 handheld consumer/business netbook replacement and blackberry accessory, 2 Integration into business infrastructure, just as the iPad was put into AirPorts for kiosks RIM could do this and have BES integration, 3 vehicle integration, tablet built into Airplanes/cars/boats.. etc.

OK now that I�ve gone off on my armchair CEO thoughts this afternoon, go nuts, pick my ideas apart, or go at it yourself as I know how many of you are also Armchair CEO�s
    08-02-10 12:43 PM
    Seriously why hasn't RIM taken deRussett into a think tank and drained him of his knowledge and passed it off as their own? His business plan is sound, rounded to meet needs, and methodically accurate to achieve high market shares. His insight into the customers needs is spot on and focused both for business and the average BB user. Seriously someone needs to pass this guys info to RIM and maybe land him a job. On a side note damn it's nice to read something on a forum that doesn't involve some random BBM chat group or a I'm leaving BB for Droid post!
    08-02-10 12:58 PM
    Great read
    08-02-10 01:37 PM
    well thank you, but I already know I'm awesome

I was hoping for other ArmChair CEO's! lol
    08-02-10 05:44 PM
    I think you have some great ideas............for 2008. Rim is looking at serious market share erosion over the next couple of years and I am afraid all of what you recommend is too little too late.

BlackBerry users running out of loyalty: 50 percent plan to defect to iPhone or Android -- Engadget

RIM has suffered due to its own stubbornness and business model which has served it so well for so long. I would recommend the following to help postpone their decline;

BBM-Liscense this out. This is one of the true strong points of their portfolio for the consumer market. Text messaging does not compare. In days past, this was a selling point that would keep BB users loyal. these days, with the disparity in hardware and performance it is no longer enough. Get the BBM solution on Android, on Iphone and WM7. If they sell it has an app they can actually generate revenue from it. If BB market share does indeed decline they will have plenty of network capacity to accommodate the influx of new users.
    Offer security settings for consumers-The BB OS is totally locked down. Let a user who doesnt need the security select a less closed down OS. Hopefully that would open up new functionality. New API access to developers.
    Embrace BB's Hyundai market positioning-Hey, not everyone can be a BMW and not all consumers can afford a BMW. BB saw the tiered data pricing coming a long time ago which was great. And if the Smartphone market didnt become so hyper competitive and cutting edge this could have been smartly leveraged. However, with Android and IOS getting so far out in front of Blackberry in terms of performance, features, speed, apps ect BB has hurt their brand. So maybe BB's will never again be considered "high end" smartphones but there are plenty of users who dont require this performance. I know it will hurt the feelings of die hard BB users, but the bottom line is BB has chosen this path. The data aspect of blackberry's, because of the nature of the way they work simply can not compete head to head. Data compression is only a economic advantage these days. That needs to be hyped.
    Do not produce a Tablet- In all honesty, I have no idea why BB would want to do this. The Ipad is a perfect extension of the Iphone. The upcoming Android tablets will be the same. BB's are hand held devices. There is no benefit to putting that OS on a bigger screen. Any BB tablet will be compared to the competition and it will not be compared favorably.

I could go on, but it would all be in the same vain as what I have written already. The bottom line is that Blackberry needs to be smart as it goes forward. Let Microsoft, Google and Apple battle for the high end market. Rim should be focusing on the masses.
    Last edited by garment69; 08-03-10 at 08:55 AM.
    08-03-10 08:38 AM
    I think you have some great ideas............for 2008. Rim is looking at serious market share erosion over the next couple of years and I am afraid all of what you recommend is too little too late.

BlackBerry users running out of loyalty: 50 percent plan to defect to iPhone or Android -- Engadget

RIM has suffered due to its own stubbornness and business model which has served it so well for so long. I would recommend the following to help postpone their decline;

BBM-Liscense this out. This is one of the true strong points of their portfolio for the consumer market. Text messaging does not compare. In days past, this was a selling point that would keep BB users loyal. these days, with the disparity in hardware and performance it is no longer enough. Get the BBM solution on Android, on Iphone and WM7. If they sell it has an app they can actually generate revenue from it. If BB market share does indeed decline they will have plenty of network capacity to accommodate the influx of new users.
    Offer security settings for consumers-The BB OS is totally locked down. Let a user who doesnt need the security select a less closed down OS. Hopefully that would open up new functionality. New API access to developers.
    Embrace BB's Hyundai market positioning-Hey, not everyone can be a BMW and not all consumers can afford a BMW. BB saw the tiered data pricing coming a long time ago which was great. And if the Smartphone market didnt become so hyper competitive and cutting edge this could have been smartly leveraged. However, with Android and IOS getting so far out in front of Blackberry in terms of performance, features, speed, apps ect BB has hurt their brand. So maybe BB's will never again be considered "high end" smartphones but there are plenty of users who dont require this performance. I know it will hurt the feelings of die hard BB users, but the bottom line is BB has chosen this path. The data aspect of blackberry's, because of the nature of the way they work simply can not compete head to head. Data compression is only a economic advantage these days. That needs to be hyped.
    Do not produce a Tablet- In all honesty, I have no idea why BB would want to do this. The Ipad is a perfect extension of the Iphone. The upcoming Android tablets will be the same. BB's are hand held devices. There is no benefit to putting that OS on a bigger screen. Any BB tablet will be compared to the competition and it will not be compared favorably.

I could go on, but it would all be in the same vain as what I have written already. The bottom line is that Blackberry needs to be smart as it goes forward. Let Microsoft, Google and Apple battle for the high end market. Rim should be focusing on the masses.

Wow, Completely different angle!
    I have to strongly disagree with though.

BBM-Liscense this out. - This IS a major feature to the Blackberry, it actually is a deciding feature for many users, the technology for BBM is based on PIN's they would have to first develop the BBM system to allow for NON PIN communication, and then they would also not have anything much to offer beyond free Chat clients, Why would another vendor pay for BBM access if they can get gtalk, and other clients for free.
    I'm not a fan of a company selling off it's assets, Nortel, which used to be a major Canadian Teleco did just that, and they basically disappeared off the stock market..

Embrace BB's Hyundai market positioning
    I'm in the Manufacturing business, I sell the Royals Royce of my market, and control the majority market share based on "you don't regret buying quality" Nokia did the bottom of the barrel fight, RIM DID have great build quality, they need to get that back, they do have what it takes to fight in the top tier, THAT SAID, I do agree they do need a more economical option for the masses, don't abandon your flagship to keep the schooners afloat. the pearl, and the Curve line could be built on an older tech platform to keep costs down, really a Curve 8580(?) could be the perfect mass produced "model T" for RIM, run OS6 allow apps, but nothing fancy under the hood, and mass produce it, then you have BBM out there,

I feel if you go bargain basement, and you sell off BBM you basically don't have anything for R&D

But I thank you for adding some debate to the thread.

EDIT
    I forgot to comment on the link
    if you read the data collected it was such a small sampling of users, AND even though more than 50% were thinking of switching 42% said they would stay,
    RIM has not released a new hot item in a long time, where both android and apple have been in the press and on TV ads extensively, so the statistics should be in their favour, because any public opinion poll is drastically influenced by the last thing they saw pertaining to the question, in this case it would be advertisements about how great other phones are compared to a users phone, which could be 3-4 year old devices.
    Last edited by deRusett; 08-03-10 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Forgot to comment on the LINK
    08-03-10 09:29 AM
    "EDIT
    I forgot to comment on the link
    if you read the data collected it was such a small sampling of users, AND even though more than 50% were thinking of switching 42% said they would stay,
    RIM has not released a new hot item in a long time, where both android and apple have been in the press and on TV ads extensively, so the statistics should be in their favour, because any public opinion poll is drastically influenced by the last thing they saw pertaining to the question, in this case it would be advertisements about how great other phones are compared to a users phone, which could be 3-4 year old devices."

LOL, you and I had this exact same debate a month ago when that other poll was released which basically said the same thing as this one.

RIM has been content on not releasing a hot new device. And from what I am reading (9780, Storm2, 9800) they have nothing in the pipe line that is going to change that. Now, add to the fact that, as is widely believed, NONE of the current phones will fully support the new OS and you have a situation ripe with market share loss.

We'll see how this all plays out.
    08-03-10 09:37 AM

LOL, you and I had this exact same debate a month ago when that other poll was released which basically said the same thing as this one.

RIM has been content on not releasing a hot new device. And from what I am reading (9780, Storm2, 9800) they have nothing in the pipe line that is going to change that. Now, add to the fact that, as is widely believed, NONE of the current phones will fully support the new OS and you have a situation ripe with market share loss.

We'll see how this all plays out.
    I'm sure we did

Survey company's are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, they are the snake oil sellers of our time.

I can see RIM holding back for a hard launch of new devices, remember rim is doing a share buy back program, and are limited to the amount of shares they can buy back at a time, if they hold everything for a big launch, they get longer to buy back at a lower rate, without it technically being insider trading,

Why launch slowly and have a trickle increase in share value, when you can hold off and launch, the North American, and Global markets have not reached the potential user base yet, that is still growing so RIM still has new users to chace, and consumers are a fickle bunch, they will jump and try DriodBlah, and iPhone5Gsquared and buy Blackberry Bold11 and jump all over the place, it's what people do, grass is always greener, and something as low cost as a mobile phone it is really easy to see people jumping from "brand loyalty"

clearly we will see what is coming, but as my first comment on my first post was RIM needs to look at who they are partnering with, and make a choice, are we moving to Qualcomm? or can they promote why they have the current hardware they do with the Refresh devices, and the 2 new launches they have a good 4-6 months before they need to do another big splash, with a solid competitive candybar, after that, they can just get back to incremental releases, except with accelerated hardware development
    08-03-10 09:57 AM
    I'm sure we did

Survey company's are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, they are the snake oil sellers of our time.

I can see RIM holding back for a hard launch of new devices, remember rim is doing a share buy back program, and are limited to the amount of shares they can buy back at a time, if they hold everything for a big launch, they get longer to buy back at a lower rate, without it technically being insider trading,

Why launch slowly and have a trickle increase in share value, when you can hold off and launch, the North American, and Global markets have not reached the potential user base yet, that is still growing so RIM still has new users to chace, and consumers are a fickle bunch, they will jump and try DriodBlah, and iPhone5Gsquared and buy Blackberry Bold11 and jump all over the place, it's what people do, grass is always greener, and something as low cost as a mobile phone it is really easy to see people jumping from "brand loyalty"

clearly we will see what is coming, but as my first comment on my first post was RIM needs to look at who they are partnering with, and make a choice, are we moving to Qualcomm? or can they promote why they have the current hardware they do with the Refresh devices, and the 2 new launches they have a good 4-6 months before they need to do another big splash, with a solid competitive candybar, after that, they can just get back to incremental releases, except with accelerated hardware development
    They have another 4-6 months before they need to make another big splash? I could not disagree more. They are already 1-2 years behind their competition in terms of specs. Hyping their hardware partners is not going to get them anywhere. People dont care who produces the hummingbird or snapdragon processors. They just want a catchy name and the speed these 1ghz processors bring. If RIM wants to remain relevant, they should immediately leak a new category of devices. I would say to bring back the Bold 9000 form factor with a 640x480 2.7 inch touch screen, 1 ghz processor and 1 gb of RAM. Add to that the Storm 3 which would be a 4 inch screen, with 800x480 resolution 1 ghz processor and 1 gb of RAM. Have these two devices represent their HERO line. At least get some buzz out there. These refresh devices, which are only going to **** off their existing user base are not helping the BB brand image at all. As I stated on one of my earlier posts, I think its actually contributing to their decline. Nobody who purchased a Bold 9700 in the last six months is going to be happy that they will not be able to upgrade to OS6. The fact that this is even a discussion shows just how much BB underestimated the resources that were going to be needed to run this OS effectively.

Breaking news: RIM says OS6 will be coming the 9700. Thats good news. Wonder why not the Storm 2. slower processor?
    Last edited by garment69; 08-03-10 at 11:27 AM.
    08-03-10 11:22 AM
    BlackBerry already blows away the competition when it comes to messaging and push technology.
    08-03-10 12:21 PM
    BlackBerry already blows away the competition when it comes to messaging and push technology.
    Blows away the competition? Not anymore. Not for a while.
    08-03-10 02:48 PM
    The Storm is CDMA and probably requires a different 3G stack which they have not made yet. Or which is much larger than the GSM stack so it can't be ported

OR. Surepress is a larger module and they are still working on it

Lots of technical reasons the Storm hasn't gotten any love

Apart from apps and consumer imap. BBOS6 looks like it will address the needs of consumers. And the Launch of a new OS and phone model. Should be a solid 3 month marketing campagn. Then they have a little splash with the Clam phone.
    So 6months from now they can release a major candybar upgrade. If they release it too close to the torch you kill torch sales. Then all the Marketing was wasted. In 2011 they need to release something to excite the public, they will NEVER be the highest spec device because htc and motorola will always have access to the latest and they have no back end to check compatibility with. RIM has way more involved when releasing a new phone. It is the curse of being the old boy.

Please excuse any missing punctuation and spelling Errors. I am typing this blind under a table trying to be discrete

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD